Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

GWS IPS Motors on LiPo's--2 or 3 cells ?

Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

GWS IPS Motors on LiPo's--2 or 3 cells ?

Old 07-15-2003, 01:03 PM
houfek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS IPS Motors on LiPo's--2 or 3 cells ?

Now that some of us have had a chance to gain some experience with powering the GWS/IPS series of motors with lipos, what is everyone finding regarding motor life when running on 3 cells ?? I have burned out several motors on my Fixx with a 3 cell pack. I have now added a GWS heatsink to the motor, but am a little afraid to go back up to the 3 cell. I know they will last longer if I spend some time at less than full throttle, but then I might as well just use 2 cells and run at full for the whole flight. The performance of the 3 cell version is very noticable. Thoughts or comments ??
Old 07-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Greg Covey

What really kills your IPS motors is current and heat.

The 2 or 3 cell decision should be based up pilot skill level and power system setup. Using good throttle management and a heatsink, if needed, can extend the life of your motor as you push it to the limit for short bursts.

Depending upon the model, I may use 2 or 3 cells. The gear ratio and prop size also affect the current draw at full throttle and cruising speed.

In general, my IPS motors do not burn out. Although inexpensive, you still need to change them manually so it takes time.

I would make small changes at a time and get a balance in which you don't burn up the motor often but still have the power you desire. Usually, this can be done on 2 cells with a lower gear ratio and prop size. Use 3-cells on higher gear ratios and never exceed 2amps for mor than 10 seconds.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 PM
e-bird

You can fry egg's on the motor if you hold it down but a couple
of the lite li-poly will do. get rid of couple of lbs of batterys. CU