Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

individual lipos

Old 07-27-2003, 04:26 AM
Smokin RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default individual lipos

I was wandering around a local electronics store and noticed that they had lithium batteries that they sold in a single AA size, they were 3.6v at 1200mah I think, I was curious if I could purchase those and wire them together in my own pack or are there different lithiums............New at electric, and looking for cheaper simpler mods!
Old 07-27-2003, 05:34 AM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default individual lipos

Those are a different Lithium chemistry than the LiPolys. LiPoly cells are 4.7 volts...
Old 07-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Greg Covey

Default individual lipos

I believe Mike meant to say 4.2v (unloaded) for Lithium Polymer cells and 3.7v loaded at full charge.

The 3.6v cells you saw at the local electronics store could be either Tadiran Lithium Ion cells or simply non-rechargeable Lithium Ion cells like those used in a car remote key chain.

If the cells come with a charger meant for them and you can get information on the current delivery capability then you might be able to use them.

For less expensive Lithium cells that come with good advice and supporting chargers, try looking at places like Radical RC, Bishop Power Products, and, Balsa Products.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Smokin RCer

Default individual lipos

Thanks boys, Its alot to learn when you switch from glow to electric. One more question though if you did use store bought batterys of the slightly different chemical and they worked voltage and mah wise, would they have the same longevity as the polymer lithium batteries, or is that something special just in those types?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Default individual lipos

The reason LiPolys are so attractive is that they pack up to 9 times the power into the same weight as NiCads. LiPoly packs are weighed in grams instead of ounces. A 9 volt, 2-cell, 1 amp LiPoly pack weighs 40 grams...

Greg, thanks for catching the late-night typo...