RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flight Power Sources (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flight-power-sources-126/)
-   -   I do not know who they are but listen to them.. LIPO FIRE!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flight-power-sources-126/2956623-i-do-not-know-who-they-but-listen-them-lipo-fire.html)

powerlines 05-08-2005 09:36 PM

I do not know who they are but listen to them.. LIPO FIRE!!

I know you do not want to hear anything else from me BUT READ THIS!~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I have Lipo Batterys. I read all the saftey precautions. I follow them under all conditions. NOW!!
I woke up this morning and cooked pancakes for my wife for Moms day. We decided to invite our 2 moms (My mom and inlaw) to eat Steak and baked potatos for supper. SO!! My son and I went to the meat market to get some GOOD ribeyes for them.. My plane batteries were in the floorboard of my truck by the charger. That is where I keep them.. Now when I charge them I put them in a coffee cup to hold most of the heat just in case. After they are charged I put them on my floor board and Velcro them to the mat to keep them from moving. ANYWAY! We got back from the market and got out of the truck and went inside to ready the beef.. I looked outside and saw lots of smoke. I was thinking darn that grill started quick this time.. THEN REALIZED I HAVE NOT STARTED THE GRILL!! I ran out side and saw the flames.. They were comming from the area of the LIPOS!! I got water and told my wife to call 911.. They were AWESOME!! Bro in law is on Fire Dept. He was next door at mom in laws.. He got the call and was sitting in the car reevving up the motor waiting to hear the address. I was franticly running around trying to put the fire out! LOL.. Then he heard the address and looked over at my house, grabed his extinguisher and ran over. We got it under control before the trucks got there BUT!! (there is always a buTT) The truck is history. All under the dash is melted. Computer, speedo, radio,, and all plastic.. I rushed and got all my tools and toys out ASAP when I saw the flames. Lots of $$$ in tools... anyways. YA'LL PLEASE BECAREFUL WITH THESE THINGS!! If you think it won't happen to you.... YOU ARE W R O N G !!!
I really don't know what happened I have guessed that my power inverter got hot and the batteries were near enough and caught fire. The batteries were not charging or pluged in at all. I have been using them for like 7 months now and always watch them close.. I have checked the temp of the floor board before putting them down there. It was not hot a bit. Just a little warm. One of the batteries may have gotten too close to the power inverter and punctured on of the lipos. I really have no clue. I am just in AWE!! I Have no words for what happened.. Just a really sick feeling.. Bad thing is work out of my truck and untill I get this fixed or another. I am not making any $$$ ( got to love Cable contracting work.. )

I have pics but they are too large I will get some smaller ones tomorrow!!

LATER

INPUT PLEASE!

burnt_sandwich 05-10-2005 02:03 PM

RE: I do not know who they are but listen to them.. LIPO FIRE!!

Oh dear my first set of lipos arrive tomorrow. Im scared now [&:][&:][&:][&:][X(][X(][&:][&:][&:]

Matt Kirsch 05-10-2005 09:54 PM

It sounds to me like the LiPolys were the FUEL and unfortunate casualties of the fire, not the cause of the fire itself. The cause of the fire is the overheating inverter, which, if the story is accurate, was a KNOWN QUANTITY to the owner of the truck!!! An overheating inverter means that either you're overloading it or there's something wrong... To keep using it is frankly, irresponsible.

If you keep throwing stones at a glass house, eventually you're going to break some windows, ya know what I mean?

Purely my opinion based on limited exposure, but I don't think a LiPoly battery in perfect condition has EVER spontaneously combusted. There has always been some root cause of the failure, such as physical damage, short, overload, or improper/unbalanced charging.

powerlines 05-11-2005 08:34 PM

The inverter was only pluged to one drill battery charger. It may have shorted out,, that is what I am thinking. The reason I say that is the bottom of the inverter was completely black with burnt carpet and all. just makes sense to me. I have ripped all the dash out and gutted the truck. I am going to try to repair it and get it reinspected so I can drive it again!!

LATER

Balsa Rain 05-16-2005 07:17 PM

Just curious, but was the inverter plugged into a lighter socket or "hard-wired" to the truck? Was the inverter fused? I ask not because I want to pile-on, but because I always have an inverter in my truck and an embarrassing collection of devices either running or charging in the truck at all times. I confess that I'm a gadget-freak(!)
Between RC planes, RC trucks/ Digital camera/flash unit/ Laptop/ Palm pilot/ GPS and radar detector I've got more Chargers than a Hazzard County junkyard.
The idea that my inverter could spontaneously ignite certainly weighs on the mind! I am powering my inverter from an accessory power outlet (very little load on the inverter) and its fused 10A.
Ricky

powerlines 05-26-2005 10:03 PM

The inverter was totaly Black. It was burned completly. That was the only thing that was burned up. I did get me a new dash and AC vents. I have the wires repaired and the truck is back running. I just have to get the new dash in and get it inspected and I can drive it once more.. That will be nice. I am using my brothers S-10 to work out of.. That is a PAIN,, I am use to a full size with extra cab. and this is a small truck reg cab... That is something to behold.. LOL!! I really think the power inverter shorted. The lipos were just too close and got to hot.. They just blazed up when the heat hit them..

LATER