Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

new MSR defect ? please help!!

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

new MSR defect ? please help!!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new MSR defect ? please help!!

hi all i've just gotten into rc flight so i'm fairly lost on a problem i'm having if somebody would send me a short video control operations from behind focused on the main rotor assembly and servers it would work magic. my whole main rotor assembly is leaned maybe 4 degrees to the right from the spurr gear all the way up and is not subject to change by way of trimming.i just got this yesterday and although i am at level zero in my flying ability i know its not supposed to do that. also any advice on what could be the issue would be most helppful. as would photos of you're msr's main rotor from behine up close...thank you
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM
DreamHeliProducts

Default RE: new MSR defect ? please help!!

Actually, it IS supposed to lean like that. That's a good thing. Many full size heli's do that as well. You're good to go.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:56 PM
gi1mo2

It's normal. Read about the [link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissymmetry_of_lift]Dissymmetry of Lift[/link].
Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

i think i'm going to sell it...i have no idea what i'm doing no help adjustments and trimming just aren't doing crap ..anyone wanna by a 1 day old MSR? i'm done i feel like crying everytime i look at it. sticking to ground rc from now on. the thing is as someone whose never flown i am completely unsure of all my efforts and on the other side of the coin i don't know what to expect from a well adjusted MSR and now the tail rotor is making sounds but still works ..every time i lift off it just takes off and crashes but i wanna see it fly so bad i just enjoy the few seconds its in the air..this has been a depressing soul crushing experience and i want it gone so i can put this behind me like a bad dream.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM
gi1mo2

You could try holding it in your hand, gently throttle up, and when you feel there is lift, let it hover. Not too much throttle or it will hit the ceiling. It takes time to really get the hang of it, but don't give up. Start with tail towards you. If the tail wants to go right or left, then trim, otherwise you shouldn't have to do anything.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

no amount of trim works the second it leaves the ground it takes off wildly. i just wanna get it sold while its still worth something. hovering is something it has never and will never do in my hands. i think i could probably fly it if it didn't always have a particular direction in mind already. its just money carelessly wasted that i should have spent on upgrades for my 1/10 E REVO. i hate giving up more than anything in the world but now is a good time to cut my loses i think.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM
nothinbetr2do

don't give up just yet. if it's new as you say, give horizon hobby a call. they have great customer service and will try to talk you through it. if something is broke, they will send you parts. and if it can't be worked out on the phone, they'll let you send it into them and they will check it out for you and send it back ready to go. give it and yourself a chance, heli's are alot of fun
Old 11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

i have been giving it a change and called e flite. i have probably done something to it by now...which i will never know because i have no clue about them. i even watched tutorials on all this before i got my MSR it left me with the impression i could just trim it a bit and then it'll fly. but that never happened now i'm waaay over my head with trying to adjust things on the heli its self
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
rbx123

I'll buy it if it's cheap? How much you wan't, since it might be broken....$30?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:28 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

The mSR is perfect for a beginner. It is possible that you have some sort of a defect with yours, but the learning curve is significantly steeper with a heli than with a ground based RC. Calmly try this.

Center your trims and when you go to plug in the battery, set the heli on a flat surface and plug that battery into the wire without disturbing the heli. Wait for the light to go solid, then pick up the heli and slide the battery into it's spot. It is critical fot he heli to initialize on a flat, still surface.

Place it on a smooth floor (not carpet) where you have some room. At least a few feet in every direction. Then gently give it some throttle so that it is still on the floor. Don't quite give it enough throttle to take off. You will notice that the heli turned a bit due to the rotation force of the blades when they started spinning. Correct this so that the tail is pointing directly at you. Then give it just a tiny bit more throttle so that it lifts off gently. When it "takes off wildly" DON"T try to fly it, just let the throttle back down. Note which direction it wants to travel and which way it begins to rotate. Adjust your trims a bit. Then try the same thing again and note which direction it wants to travel and rotate. Expect to spend a full battery without ever coming off the ground for even a full second.

Also, please note that ANY heli will want to rotate against the direction of the rotors as you accelerate, and the heli will want to move to the left a bit before leveling out. That is why it "leans" to the right a bit. Eventually you will get used to applying a bit of stick to counter this on every liftoff. AND! One of the classic mistakes beginners make is too much stick! There will be NO NEED for the right stick to be pressed all the way in any direction. To take off and hover you shouldn't be pushing the right stick more than say 25% from center.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

just so you know if i sell it for 30.00 the ebay seller i bought it from has to die
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

i've adjusted the plate so its just about level now but it takes an awful lot of stick to keep it from going off in one direction now. with all trim at zero ..nothing is broken or bent "amazingly servers work perfectly i have been triming and letting it fly to see what it does. but mostly just skating it around on a large smooth table apparently all its good for. its pretty determined not to fly. I haven't given up but a feeling of dread sweeps over me every time i go in for another attempt at setting it up. its not a slight directional preferance. when i give it enough throttle to lift it is violently sucked up to one direction.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:42 PM
gi1mo2

Could you create a video of your attempts? Did you know that there is dual rate on your transmitter. I believe you press down on the stick to set the mode. Look in the book. Might help with stick to heli movement
Old 11-19-2010, 02:30 PM
MCRIPPPer

helis refuse to fly by nature. 

they are very unstable. thanks to gyros, they are actually flyable. 

i have not nees a msr, but if the trim is maxed out, you might need to adjust the linkages (if that is possible)
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

yeah the linkages are way off ..adjusting them is just such a painfuly slow process i have inspected the heli closely and everything else is perfectly serviceable luckily there isn't much to go wrong that can't be seen. but adjusting the links is just killing me lol
Old 11-19-2010, 05:37 PM
DPete

Stay with it you'll get it, I've been thru the same thing, it will hover hands off when you get it right. Which way does it want to go that you can't trim out? It's always going to move on take off because of the rotor torque.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 AM
repirazz

Ohiowoodsrider- Just thought I'd chime in with a couple things for you to check.

First, before you adjust the servo pushrods, make sure the swashplate is pressed tightly together. The upper & lower halves of the swashplate have a habit of separating in a crash. When it does, the heli won't fly right at all. That's what the red calibration tool is for, it doesn't really "calibrate" anything but it allows you to place your thumb on top of the rotor head & pull up on the lower part of the swash with your fingers & squeeze the swash back together without damaging the tiny plastic links or balls. It's a good idea to check this after every crash.

Second, when you level the plate, center your cyclic trims on the tx, the adjust rods so plate is level in relation to the mainshaft, not the heli. The shaft is angled a few degrees to the right, so the plate will be at the same angle. Once you get it close enough to fly, you can fine tune them so it hovers hands off with trims centered.

Also, double check to see if maybe the anti-rotation collar might be upside down. If it is, the flybar links will be reversed & make it unflyable. (probably not likely if it was NIB, but something to check) The little guide fingers should be just to the right of the screw when viewing from the side. Make sure when u plug the battery in, follow dustins procedure in earlier post.

Hang in there bud, you will love it once you get it working right.

-Rep

Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 AM
rbx123

Ok I'll spill my guts. I started out with an MSR  2 months ago. It has given me more brain damage than you can imagine. It has also given me great pleasure as well. Even when it was brand new, it took me about a week to somewhat fiqure it out enough to hover and fly it a littleI have had various problems, replaced almost all parts, some more than once, but it is worth it! When you do get it to work correctly, it's a blast. To this day I am still adjusting rod lengths, trimming etc. Maybe to to wall impacts......LOL
If you are still having problems..............here's the solution...................
Spoend a few bucks at your local hobby store and at the same time, ASK FOR THEIR HELP! One of ther best investments I have made (which can be used for many more things than just the MSR is a pair of magnifying glasses/headset. These are the best, http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php. I bought the 2.5 magnification and they are FANTASTIC! Stop F***ing around if you are getting absolutely fustratedand go to a hobby store and get spend more and make a best friend. If you really want to get into this hobby, do it before you give up! Patience, Patience!
FYI After a month or two with the MSR I bought a Used Blade 400. Well talk about frustration...........lolThe one I bought was supposedly just rebuilt, yeah, right...LOL Maybe by a 3rd grader. I have spent realistically at least 30 hours resetting this thing up. Sevro's were connected wrong, swash plate F***ed, every setting wrong, tail blades spinning the wrong direction,screws loose, stripped or even missing. UNBELEAVABLE BRAIN DAMAGE, but I kept going. I used help from forums, you tube and the best...the books from http://www.rchelicopterfun.com. Every time I completed an adjustment and saw that it was really working as it was supposed to, it was a great feeling of accomplishment. Yesterday was the day to finally try it. Everything was right, at least  what I checked over....92% of EVERYTHING. Trainingg wheels (gear...LOL) on I was ready....I was , the Heli was not. As soon as it raised up and got light, it started spinning violently. Back home to look it over. Searched the web for a cause and then. Well, I found that two screws holding the tail boom braces for stability had vibrated out, the tail boom was loose, therefore the belt to the rear rotors was not tight too. Fixed that and then to the garage to try again.............NO LUCK. I then started changing things in the Transmitter as well as the Heli (not really knowing what I was doing) reversing the rudder, reversing the gyro, physically changing the position of the gyro thinking I had set it up wrong (I upgraded that to something other than stock as well as all the servo's) STILL NO LUCK! Well I was discussed to say the least! I finally gave up,and put the Gyro back the way I had it.  Was thinking about selling everything that I bought,. The Heli, tools, cases, $200 upgraded charger and power supply.I could go on. At this point after Hours ans Hours of effort it had yet to leave the ground! I then went into the house and wrote an e-mail to someone local that had offered help! begging them for assistance. Even offering to pay them. I refused to give up......At least not yet! Then, as a last ditch effort, I decided to try it one more time..............IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!! Amazing! It was not spinning and was actually starting to raise off the floor without spinning. I fooled around with it for a little while and before I damaged it by slamming it by slamming it into something in the garage. I put it away. I was THRILLED, EXCITED, HAVING AN ORGASM, not really, but close...LOL I have no idea what I did to make it work now? Maybe I was lucky (obviously), something like the Gyro is defective and erratically, I still have no clue. But all I can tell you is I can't wait to take it out today and try it again! Whew, I'm running out of breath. And you think your having problems.....LOL
AGAIN ! GO TO THE LOCAL HOBBY STORE, SPEND A FEW BUCKS, MAKE A FRIEND,AND ASK FOR HELP... .............................
************************************************** **MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!********************************************** *********************
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

now that was exceedingly helppful kind sir. i couldn't find any image video or owners manual referance as to what i should be aligening the plate to. or exactly what it was the plastic look was supposed to aligen. its surprisingly vauge on those things considering how important it is.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

personally i think the force hates me. and wow you suffered like ann frank. i must say after having my MSR 4 days now, and without yet flying it a solitary foot of controlled flight i'm really itching to see my new mechanical insect buzzing around the basement and my shop.i sure wish e flite would adjust these things correctly from the factory though. i didn't really want to jump right in with the hard stuff right away.nothing in the world in the world seems to keep my msr from gluiding left. i'll keep trying. thanks for the support my brothers. i might just have the LHS do it . i need to have connectors put on my new 80a esc for my 1/10 e revo anyways..i thought adjusting steering on that was hard lol
Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM
revster

Do not give up, I felt the same way when I bought my MSR, But I didnt give up. I am not great, but I get better every flite.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:26 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

yeah i'm not going to be one of the many that have given up on heli's i laid my money down. i intend to find a way to make it flyable and learn how to fly although the plate is set so close i can barely see what adjustments it needs now..still pulls wildly to the left. i still can't even trim it out. even though the links are set really close it seems to make almost no difference. i'm going to conceed defeat and let my lhs sort it out and have them show me what was wrong.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 PM
repirazz

ORIGINAL: ohiowoodsrider250r

now that was exceedingly helppful kind sir. i couldn't find any image video or owners manual referance as to what i should be aligening the plate to. or exactly what it was the plastic look was supposed to aligen. its surprisingly vauge on those things considering how important it is.
It's vague because there really isn't anything to align or "calibrate" in the head. It's kindof deceptive because the "calibration" tool is really nothing more than a temporary brace you stick in there to protect the tiny links from bending while you press the swash back together. The swash is designed to separate in a crash to protect the servos from damage & should be checked after every crash. (even a slight bit of separation will throw off your trim). You really don't even need the tool if you're very carefull about much pressure you apply.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ddN5jDo52w&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

The only adjustment you have is the servo pushrods. Those should only need to be adjusted if you have to use more than just a few "beeps" of trim to get it to hover. If your heli wants to keep going to the left & you have the trim all the way to the right, try lengthening the left rod.

If nothing seems to work, maybe check with your LHS. Even tho you didn't buy from them, They will probably help u get it sorted out. GL,

-Rep

Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 AM
rbx123

LHO = Local Hobby Shop

Hey  Ohio Woods Rider FYI Every time I have checked my Swashplate with the red tool (swashplate adjustment tool) It has been correct anyway. Like someone once mentioned. It's useless anyway, since you can't adjust the length of the link rods anyway. DO What I sugested when I spilled my guts early this morning......................
AGAIN ! GO TO THE LOCAL HOBBY STORE, SPEND A FEW BUCKS, MAKE A FRIEND,AND ASK FOR HELP... .............................
Old 11-22-2010, 02:29 PM
ohiowoodsrider250r

i had such high hopes what you suggested was the issue. but its not...why are the servo links even adjustable ahhh the pain. i can't imagine how the msr became so popular considering how hard it is to dail in

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.