Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

mCX first outdoor flight!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

mCX first outdoor flight!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 AM
JustHover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mCX first outdoor flight!

Hi there!

I got an unexpected warm day (above freezing) so I thought I would attempt some outdoor flying. I set the little guy on the driveway and lifted off. Yaahoo! It immediately went over the house, so I goosed the throttle because I didn't want to have to get my ladder out. I ran down the sidewalk and by the time I got sight of it it was 40' in the air. [X(] I tried to correct, but it was clear the guy was going to my neighbors, so I killed the throttle just in time to land... in a tree 30' up. By goosing the throttle I was able to unstick it and it fell to the ground in a foot and a half of snow. I quickly removed power and blew all the snow out as best I could. It was buzzing and not too healthy. I was able to glue one of the servos back onto the board and it was able to fly, but it kept doing the toilet bowl effect. I ordered replacement gears and shafts, cost very little and the repair took only 20 minutes. It is now flying like normal and it's still my favorite micro. I need to lubricate the shafts and gears, but don't know what to use. I thought 3 in 1 oil but it might be too thick? So a terrible crash, an easy repair, but no info anywhere on what sort of oil to use on these new parts. Thanks in advance...
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM
DreamHeliProducts

Default RE: mCX first outdoor flight!

Dry graphite lube works the best, but I've also used thin machine oil. Use either one sparingly.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 AM
JustHover

I know the original lubricant is an oil, not graphite. Either would probably work, but would like to stick with what the factory uses. Where would someone find thin machine oil? Any mfg info? I don't understand why e-flight doesn't even attempt to provide guidance on this important aspect of a repair. I expect my flight times to return to ~10 minutes when I lube it up. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM
AH-64_d

Sewing machine oil is a good, light lubricating oil. Not too many sewing machines are operated outside at below freezing temperatures, so you might want to find out how the oil you purchase behaves at that temperature. You may also want to consider some of the lubricants included in gun cleaning kits or sold in sporting goods stores - Hunters really dislike lubricants that freeze up their favorite hunting iron on a cold winter day. The deer like it, of course.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 AM
DreamHeliProducts

Your hobby shop will also have bearing oil with a needle applicator, this is what I use.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
JustHover

This is perfect! Thanks for the info. I thank you, and my heli thanks you.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
DreamHeliProducts

Hey no problem, glad to help. Specifically, here's what I use: http://www.hobby-sports.com/cart/pro...prodid=CLN4060