Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

cx3 main shaft wobble

Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cx3 main shaft wobble

i'm a complete heli noob and won a cx3 in a raffle this weekend.

i still haven't gotten it trimmed correctly and now i took a spill, broke a blade (replaced) and broke the landing gear (also replaced), now the main shaft has a slight wobble.
it's still flies/hovers but i need to fix it.

so anyone replace the main shaft on a cx2 or 3 before? how much of a pain is it?

btw, i tried the "training gear" but the heli flies/hovers much better with out it. so i decided not to use it.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
gi1mo2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cx3 main shaft wobble

Have a look at this video (recently posted in another thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGUTAwItRAM
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 AM
kaiser01

thanks, good vid.

i have a microheli inner shaft and rotor head on the way, along with a mh alloy swashplate, unbreakable skids and some other goodies.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Mack66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CX2, but haven't flown it in more than a year. I've progressed to .50 Nitro since then.

If you bent the lower shaft, chances are you bent the inner (upper), so replace them both. Otherwise the poor little thing will shake itself apart and you'll be riding a bucking bronco.

As I recall, the only painful thing about maintenance on these little guys is that it is so tiny. Make sure you've got the right tools. I bought a set of e-Flight screwdrivers that have all the sizes you need. If you're age challenged like me, then you will want to make sure you've got a magnifier/hood handy and lots of strong light so you can see what you're doing. By the way those tools are useful even on the big helis.

Keep track of all your parts by putting them in something (like a small bowl). They will vanish on the floor and be gone forever on a carpet.

Take your time and be patient. It's actually pretty fun. You will have to disassemble the lower head to remove the outer shaft. I have a pdf showing the steps necessary to disassemble a CX completely, which is the same as yours mechanically. I'll try to include it in this note. I got it from Aeronuts, I think.

Nope just tried to upload the file and RC Universe is having issues. Go to http://www.hopuphelihobbies.com/index.php?rp=res and look at the How To section. There's also a couple other articles such as boiling your blades to straighten them out etc.

The hardest part I had trouble removing is the retaining collar on the lower shaft. I couldn't get the set screw loose and almost stripped it in the process. If it won't budge, try applying heat with a small soldering iron to the screw. That will soften the Locktite they applied to it.

Have fun!

Mack

PS - RC Universe was having big problems yesterday. Just tried again now and it worked. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu60524.pdf (1.10 MB, 7 views)
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
kaiser01

thanks mack. it's the inner/upper shaft thats bent so i'm getting a stronger one from micro heli, along with a new alloy swashplate as mine has separated.

i can't wait for my new parts to arrive so i can get some flight time.