Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Today I picked up my Blade MCPX.

It is slightly larger than the Blade MSR but significantly smaller than the 120 SR

Set up and Binding was straighforward and it seems to be as robust as the Blade MSR

It comes with two sets of rotor blade.. The manual states one set is for high performance Indoor aerobatics and the other is for fast outdoor flight

The fast outdoor flight Blades have a forward facing prong about 1/3 out from the central hub.

I am still fine tuning the pitch curves to my personal preference but can highly recommend it as a next step if you have mastered the MSR or the 120 SR..

It is more stable and easier to fly than a 450 size helicopter.. which would be the next step after the MCPX

It was very windy today so I didn't fly it outside but I will try loops and rolls in the next day or so..

Here are 5 Videos of my first day..

Video 1 - Unboxing

Video 2 - Binding to the Radio and initial testing

Video 3 - The maiden flight

Video 4 - The 6th flight after more fine tuning

Video 5 - A demonstration of how easily this helicopter enters Vortex Ring State.

This last aspect of the MCPX was a surprise.. I have rarely experienced Vortex Ring State with my MSR or 120 SR, but the MCPX will enter it very easily..

In simple terms Vortex Ring state occurs when the helicopter enters the downwash of air produced by its own rotor blades.. Here is the Wiki explanation

Normally if you apply more power and collective pitch the helicopter would climb, but when descending in the Vortex Ring, adding power only INCREASES the rate of descent... due to the extra downwash being produced.

The Blade MCPX makes it very easy to demonstrate this phenomenon..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Jolly-Swagman

Default RE: My first day with the Blade MCPX - Review and Videos

Nice Rob , neat little Flyer indeed , be great for those Winter Days when you cant get the Bigger Heli's outdoor 
Great info about the Vortex Ring too.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 AM
sgbfly

Excellent videos Rob

Interesting on the vortex ring state descent. How would one escape from thephenomenon?

Simon
Old 03-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: sgbfly

Excellent videos Rob

Interesting on the vortex ring state descent. How would one escape from thephenomenon?

Simon
Thanks Simon,

The best way to recover is to fly forward and out of your own wash.. usually it recovers immediately... (that is what they teach you in real helis also...)

There is a rule of thumb for real helicopters to avoid entering VRS - When flying less than 30Kts keep your descent rate less than 300 feet per min.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
wmccjeep

ORIGINAL: Rob2160

Today I picked up my Blade MCPX.

It is slightly larger than the Blade MSR but significantly smaller than the 120 SR

Set up and Binding was straighforward and it seems to be as robust as the Blade MSR

It comes with two sets of rotor blade.. The manual states one set is for high performance Indoor aerobatics and the other is for fast outdoor flight

The fast outdoor flight Blades have a forward facing prong about 1/3 out from the central hub.

I am still fine tuning the pitch curves to my personal preference but can highly recommend it as a next step if you have mastered the MSR or the 120 SR..

It is more stable and easier to fly than a 450 size helicopter.. which would be the next step after the MCPX

It was very windy today so I didn't fly it outside but I will try loops and rolls in the next day or so..

Here are 5 Videos of my first day..

Video 1 - Unboxing

Video 2 - Binding to the Radio and initial testing

Video 3 - The maiden flight

Video 4 - The 6th flight after more fine tuning

Video 5 - A demonstration of how easily this helicopter enters Vortex Ring State.

This last aspect of the MCPX was a surprise.. I have rarely experienced Vortex Ring State with my MSR or 120 SR, but the MCPX will enter it very easily..

In simple terms Vortex Ring state occurs when the helicopter enters the downwash of air produced by its own rotor blades.. Here is the Wiki explanation

Normally if you apply more power and collective pitch the helicopter would climb, but when descending in the Vortex Ring, adding power only INCREASES the rate of descent... due to the extra downwash being produced.

The Blade MCPX makes it very easy to demonstrate this phenomenon..
Hey Rob!

Seems like a great little heli and something that is added to my wish list! If you had to build it I would have it on order already! Ido love my Eflight Blade small helis. I hear the bigger Eflight stuff just ain't all that great but I wish Eflight made a gyro we could use in the 450 that was as good as what they use in the small ones.

Wes
Old 03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Nytro97
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the information..Great videos.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: wmccjeep

Hey Rob!

Seems like a great little heli and something that is added to my wish list! If you had to build it I would have it on order already! Ido love my Eflight Blade small helis. I hear the bigger Eflight stuff just ain't all that great but I wish Eflight made a gyro we could use in the 450 that was as good as what they use in the small ones.

Wes
Thanks Wes,

The heading hold gyro in this little heli is Amazing.. it is rock steady and I have never had to adjust the rudder trim once in over 30 flights.. and it NEVER drifts.... Incredible...
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Rob2160

Just two more videos..

My first two flights outdoors.. managed a few loops and a roll..

This little heli is much better in wind than the MSR or 120 SR.. it feels just like a larger 450 Heli..

Double Thumbs up from me!

This is the TOYI have been dreaming of all my life!.

I just had 2 more flights usingDVD and CD cases asHeli Pads, set up around the house at various heights.. AWESOMEFUN!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXPYggtTro[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsrWZm8MQvY[/youtube]
Old 03-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Jolly-Swagman

Certainly handles the wind OK, was quite surprised at how well it did, even my 450 gets sometimes uncontrollably blown around
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Hixbot

Great vids, Ihave mine on pre-order. I'll probably put some training gear on mine until Iget the hang of it, (this will be my first CP heli).
So about 4 min flight time before replacing the Lipo?
What parts did you lube, and with what oil?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Hixbot

There's an issue being reported that the blades can and do fly off! You don't want those in the eyes!

http://support.horizonhobby.de/getat...VsbGV0aW4ucGRm

http://www.modelflyvning.dk/forum/sh...667#post429667
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Jolly-Swagman

Certainly handles the wind OK, was quite surprised at how well it did, even my 450 gets sometimesuncontrollablyblown around
yes I was completely surprised.... I fully expected it to blow away... Ihave tried the MSR and the 120 SR in less wind and they were almost uncontrollable..
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: Hixbot

Great vids, Ihave mine on pre-order. I'll probably put some training gear on mine until Iget the hang of it, (this will be my first CP heli).
So about 4 min flight time before replacing the Lipo?
What parts did you lube, and with what oil?
Thank for the heads up the rotors flying off.. I just checked mine and it seems ok...

I lubed the main gear.. just a fraction of a drop and ran it along the gear teeth with my finger.. it made the heli much quieter.. and also a tiny drop on the main shaft where the swashplate moves up and down..

I use Labelle 107 oil... the same oil Iuse on my 450 Helis.. it is completely plastic safe... http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product-p/lab-107.htm
Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 AM
mboland

Thanks for the info, although a bit late , doohhh!!
Be warned this is a real threat.

Had the blades fly off while still setting it up on my Futaba Tx, while I was holding it.
Luck was with me and I was not in the line of flight of the blades which left with some force (I was testing throttle up)

There is no way I will be able to find the washers and spacers so i'm out of action until the LHS comes up with some spares.

Such is the life of early adopters I guess.

Mike

There's an issue being reported that the blades can and do fly off! You don't want those in the eyes!

http://support.horizonhobby.de/getat...VsbGV0aW4ucGRm

http://www.modelflyvning.dk/forum/sh...667#post429667
Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Hixbot

Hmm, I'm considering canceling my pre-order to see ifHorizon addresses this further, although obviously it willl be a long wait for a new version.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Callouscade
My Feedback: (6)

Hey can you submit the pics of it to Phoenix so they can make a model of it? i don't have one but i wanna fly it on phoenix.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
tommythecat

Is the main gear on the mcxp real notchy when spinning it by hand? I just picked one up and found it to be very notchy. It feels like it might just be a combination of really strong magnets in the motor and the tiny spur gear, but I want to get some feedback form other owners before I spin this thing up to see if it is normal. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Rob2160

ORIGINAL: tommythecat

Is the main gear on the mcxp real notchy when spinning it by hand? I just picked one up and found it to be very notchy. It feels like it might just be a combination of really strong magnets in the motor and the tiny spur gear, but I want to get some feedback form other owners before I spin this thing up to see if it is normal. Thanks.

Yes, thanks for posting this..

Mine was very notchy when new.. I actually thought it may be faulty... but it loosens up after 20-30 flights... a bit of lubricant on the main gears helps also..

the tail rotor will spin well before the main gear starts rotating due to this tightness..

Mine has over 50 flights and they both start together now... the tightness is now almost gone and it is more like the MSR..
Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
tommythecat

Thanks for the reply. I got up the nerve to spin it up and found that it was nice and smooth under power.

This thing is exactly what I was looking for: a cp heli that I can practice on for simple hovering, control and orientation in my house. I tossed a couple towels over the FP TV to protect the screen, and spun this little thing up. I'm flying in a basement with really low ceilings (6.5' ) and this thing has no issue at all. I cannot get over how stable it is. I can't get the tail on my 450 to hold anywhere near this well. I'm stunned they managed to get a direct drive fixed pitch tail to hold this well in hover. It will be quite a while till I am able to push it actually flying, but in hover it is more locked in than anything else I've flown. This thing has absolutely no drift at all, and is so stable. It stays exactly how you put it.

The blades have a nasty bite. I had a cat decide to take a go at my mcpx in hover, so I grabbed it out of the air before my cat could get to it. I expected it to hurt a little, but wasn't gonna let my cat take the blades in the face just to spare myself a little whack on the hand. The blade caught me right in my big giant thick caloused thumb. To my surprise it split my thumb about a 1/8 inch deep. Thankfully my caloused skin is almost that thick and I barely showed more than the slightest hint of blood. I guess this is the transition point where you have to start showing the helis that little exra respect. The slightly smaller MSR could only hurt you if it caught you in the eye, but just the little extra size, RPM and the more blade mass and this thing has a lot more pain potential. I'm gonna have to make my son wear a paintball mask flying this thing indoors.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Rob2160

Hmm, I'm considering canceling my pre-order to see ifHorizon addresses this further, although obviously it willl be a long wait for a new version.
It might be a good idea to cancel the order.. my head just fell apart in flight.... one of the bearings has failed... I will post videos soon.. (about 55 flights on it)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
tommythecat

Is the blades departing a result of the feathering shaft screw backing out, or is something breaking? It is standard procedure to loctitie the feathering shaft bolts before flight on all CP helis. Lots argue that BnF and RTF models should not require this, but I still find it a good practice. If it is just the FS bolts coming out, then that is easily prevented. If it is something else going on then I am concerned.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Rob2160

Is the blades departing a result of the feathering shaft screw backing out, or is something breaking? It is standard procedure to loctitie the feathering shaft bolts before flight on all CP helis. Lots argue that BnF and RTF models should not require this, but I still find it a good practice. If it is just the FS bolts coming out, then that is easily prevented. If it is something else going on then I am concerned.

No the feathering shaft screws were solid and tight... the actual thrust bearing has failed... hopefully these two videos will clarify..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk-a3yrTFjs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szT__Zkl1Fc[/youtube]
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 PM
tommythecat

DOH!!!

Not great for that to happen at 50 flights. Did you have any serious blade strikes in those 50 flights?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Rob2160

DOH!!!

Not great for that to happen at 50 flights. Did you have any serious blade strikes in those 50 flights?

Hi..

No serious crashes, but in the first 20 or so flights I did land it heavy a few times... a few due to not expecting the vortex ring state and twice because my thumbs kept thinking it was an MSR and I'd forget I was in Idle Up.. but no actual crashes..

For the last 20 odd flights there were no heavy landings..

On a positive note.. I managed to buy the parts to fix the heli for under $8.... Here are the repair videos and a flight after repairs..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMekRg1USo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zA7XExLKs[/youtube]

And the Flight - as good as new!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu68GtCHtE0[/youtube]
Old 03-12-2011, 04:27 AM
Rob2160

For anyone interested.. I also bought a 2nd MCPX today.. and decided to get the RTF to see what the DX4 is like..

It is DSMX for starters!... but not a patch on the DX6i for smoothness...

Here is a vid..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkj9O99g4fY[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.