Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

mSR vs. mCPX

Old 03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
omgwtfbbq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mSR vs. mCPX

I see a lot of mCX vs mCX2 and mCX vs mSR threads, but how much harder is the mCPX to fly than the mSR?
I have a Blade CP that was my first helicopter, and is what I learned to fly helis on (would definitely do it differently if i could do it over, haha!) but I was never able to do aerobatics with it. I was able to hover it but thats about it. I bought an mCX before there was the mCX2 or the mSR, and I LOVE that thing! I also bought an mSR last week and it is a blast too! So the question is, if I can handle the mSR indoors, how much more difficult is it to fly the mCPX? I'd start just flying it around like a regular heli but would eventually like to learn aerobatics with it. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

EDIT: I find Rob2160's videos and writeups really good, but its obvious that he has a lot more heli experience than I do. How much of a step up is it from the mSR to the mCPX? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 AM
i20sailor

Default RE: mSR vs. mCPX

Ihave had an mSR since X-mas and can fly it very well indoors. Got the mCPx 2 weeks ago and can hardly keep it hovering. For my ability the suplied throttle/pich curves are way too aggressive. To learn control of the heli I programmed a fixed pitch and that helps. I am going to use it outdoors only until I can get a hang of how it reacts without fixed objects in the way. Definitely a completely different animal than a heli wiht a 45 Dec flybar.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:30 AM
Doug47
My Feedback: (24)

if I can handle the mSR indoors, how much more difficult is it to fly the mCPX?
A whole lot. While aerobatics are sure fun, worrying about them at all though until you can hover battery packs out hovering in all orientations, nose-out,in.sideways, and to be able to do fairly high speed figure 8's and 4 leaf clovers for instance then you're screwing up.
i20sailor ;
Programming a fixed pitch isn't really going to help you with much of anything, seriously.
The stock pitch curves need mellowed along with all control throws and expo.
We wound up with stock throttle curves until position 4 and 5 which are 70-85% respectively.
On low rates we have aileron and elevator travel at 60% with 25% expo, rudder @75% with no expo.
The bottom number in pitch curve is 10% higher than stock which translates to LESS negative throw at low stick, you don't need it. Numbers 4 and 5 were reduced 10 % from stock as well with position 3 stock.
Although they're neat little helis and a ball to fly my personal opinion is that MSR's don't do much of anything to get one ready for collective pitch helis except teach you which way to move the sticks, but as far as how much and in combination with what others not a heck of a lot.
Collective pitch helis are hard to learn how to fly, period. I agree with the philosophy at rchelicopterfun.com which is of the opinion that a simulator followed by a good 450 size heli with very mellow control throws and training gear is the gold standard for learning. I'll bet if you hovered a 450 set up so you'd be shocked at how forgiving it is in comparison to the X.
The X can be tamed but for a brand new flyer ANY breeze will be a complete distraction, don't bother early learning outside in anything but dead calm.
A lot of MSR guys think they can go right into forward flight with a collective pitch heli too. Wrong. That time will come, but first you have to learn how to hover it in complete control tail in then later in all orientations. That means even a well set-up heli will have you moving both sticks minutely all directions and all the time in a hover that is mostly in one place but always moving a little this way and that to some degree.
So , my opinion : Simulator-training gear-reduced control throws then master tail in hovering no matter what, then on to hovering side in, nose in, etc.
Doug
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 AM
omgwtfbbq

Hey, thanks for the replies. I think I'll practice a little longer before I step up to the (little) big boys

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:43 PM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

well id have to say i fly em all and i thought the mcpx would be alot harder but its pretty stable and if you like a challage without wrecking all the time the mcp x would be good after an msr...its takes a good beating as well!
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Rabbit TD

I had considered a mcpx too but after I thought about it a little I got to thinking it would be a little too confining inside just learning collective pitch and pretty light for outside just learnig. I go along with the 450 philosophy too and ordered a belt drive clone the other day. Theres so many options to choose from with the 450's and they can be bought for unbelievable low prices on some of the sites. I like the Blade stuff but the best thing they have going for them is you can get parts for them at just about any LHS and bind-fly is nice with theDX6i. I wish they had the clone parts as well but you have to order everything online but most of the time it doesn't take but a few days.