Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a new Electric helicopter, would like to know what you think

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Looking to buy a new Electric helicopter, would like to know what you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 AM
ophirw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a new Electric helicopter, would like to know what you think

Hi All,

I used to fly RC planes and drive RC trucks, them I have decided to give helicopters a try.
I got a Honey Bee King 2 and flew it for a year until I crashed (Tail train ripped), and haven't fixed since (6 years ago).

Now I would like to get back into helicopters and I am not sure I want to fix the Hone Bee (need new batteries, blades and some other parts).
Although the honey bee was cheap and a some fun, i never managed to get it stable!
I had to work very hard to keep it stable.

This time around I would like a more stable and better flying machine, so I am thinking of buying a 450-500 size helicopter.
I like scale flying and will probably want to buy a helicopter that has scale bodies available.

Started to search as to what is available today and there is simply to many models and makes.
I would appreciate if you could leave your recommendation.

I understand that the Align T-rex 450 or 500 are very good, but they are a bit expensive, are there any other makes that don't fall by much but are cheaper?
Spare parts availability is important to me since I will probably crash several times.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 AM
bensid54

There are lots of cheap 450 size bodies from Hobby King but when it comes to stability the 500 is a huge improvement over a 450 I've had both and lean heavily towards the 500. When you get into scale then you start talking money and time to do it right.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:02 PM
ophirw

Thank's Bensid54.

what 500 heli's are considered to bee good starting points?
I dont want a cheap heli that will cause me to spend lots of time fulling around with it on the table and not flying.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM
bensid54

Can't go wrong with a Trex 500.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:06 AM
poison

I have trex 500l with the stock gpro love it. Look on eBay they had it cheaper on there then everywhere else. Flybarless is definitely the way to go to.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:54 AM
ophirw

Thanks for the info!

Poison, I would consider myself as a beginner. my flying skills are not the best.
would you still recommend a Flybarless configuration?
I am also not planning on flying 3d.

How does a
Flybarless configuration affect the flight characteristics?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:09 PM
poison

Flybarless is easier to fly than flybarred. You go through the computer setup and follow the instructions system like ikon has self level so if you panic hit the switch and it levels itself. Flybar drift a lot and lot more parts to replace if you crash. I am fixing to try the ikon out wanting to learn more tricks so the panic switch sounds good. Blade has a 270 cfx that has this feature check it out. I already have 2 trex's so I am going with ikon for now. Good luck and there is lots of videos for set ups it's not that hard trust me.