Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

why did you decide to get into this hobby?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

why did you decide to get into this hobby?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 PM
drphoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why did you decide to get into this hobby?

For me, I wanted something I could do w/ my elderly father, who can't get around so well anymore and do his old activities. We used to fly RC planes when I was a kid. So I thought the micro heli's was something he could fly on his patio and not have to walk too far, in addition to tinker w/ in his shop. So I bought a HoneyBee FP for him.....and then went out and bought the BCP for myself.

So just wondering....why did you get into this crazy thing?

Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 AM
cnguyen831

Default RE: why did you decide to get into this hobby?

Was into rc cars. Heli just seemed like the next logical jump. And I can see the heli when it's flying.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:35 AM
fiddy_zen

I always liked helicopters. When I was a kid (early 70's) I used to have a toy helicopter- it was a light plastic thing with a main rotor and no tail rotor, and it was connected to a controller by a short wire. The 'controller' was simply a metal button to turn the motor on or off. I forget the name of it, but I loved that thing. All it could do was hover and that dumb wire was only about 18 inches long, plus it really used the batteries up, but I still loved it. When I got a little older I got into r/c planes- back then helis were way too expensive to even dream about but I always looked at them in the magazines and dreamed of owning one. And now, finally, because of the minature radios and much better batteries, helicopters are finally inexpensive enough for the 'common' person. Add to that the excellent computer flight sim software we have now, and this is truly a great time for all those who dreamt of one day flying their own helicopter!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:58 AM
ptremb

I was told to get a hobby to keep myself out of trouble.only problem is I never have any money from all the projects,now thats trouble
Old 08-25-2006, 02:24 AM
ct420

I saw a movie (don't remember what it was) back in the 70's when I was a kid. In it, these two kids used RC helis to 'attack' some bad guys.

When I saw those little helis flying, I was MESMERIZED! I always said that some day, I would have one
Old 08-25-2006, 05:55 AM
ICHItheKILLER

I think it was a movie also for me ,the slow moving rc heli got me drooling when I was a kid,was around the 70s, but could not afford them.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Psikelly

Because I wanted to drive myself crazy and spend lots and lots of money trying to keep it in the air lol

Actually I think it all began with the 1st movie I ever seen with the ol WW II planes coming in low and banking while ripping everything apart. Just looks so cool doding the sky etcetc
You guys all know what I mean.
Then theres helis. They have the ability to bank pretty tight on a close in flyby. The hovering.Nothing cooler than seeing a heli hovering outside the window of a highrise on a movie and then opening up the bigguns and tearing the room apart lol And all of that coolnes and we have the ability to fly our very own little badass machines right in our yards, running your own strafing mission shooting up grasshoppers and those dirty dodging sparrows,

OOPS! Started daydreaming and mustve rambled on there for a few minutes lol You get the idea.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 AM
nstaller
My Feedback: (9)

Because I have so much money I needed some way to spend it
Old 08-25-2006, 08:09 AM
sox101

Because I love all forms of flying! I will be getting my private pilots lisence (SP?) as soon as i'm 17, and my commercial pilots liscense as soon as i'm out of university. I got into R/C, because it was the closest I could get to really flying. I have an RC airplane (which I love ) and will be getting my BCPP next tuesday.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
mcomet

1. Flying is COOL. Helicopters are COOLER. So RC Heli's are fun!

2. Apparently I enjoy the self inflicted pain attempting to hover, crashing and spending money.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Synister

I enjoy flying and have my private pilots licence as well. I was into nitro rc cars for a while but never got into planes or anything. Just this summer I was exceedingly bored and decided that I needed a dynamic hobby, one which would keep me entertained and learning new things all the time. The logical choice of course was rc helis. I have had my CP Pro for a little over a week and boy have i been entertained and am learning all kinds of good stuff. My goal is controlled inverted flight by years end with all the other ff, nose in, etc learned as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:30 PM
pitch

twenty years ago i saw a guy pull a heli out of his car...hover it 3 feet and retract the gears...he did this for about 1 minute...brought it down packed it up and drove off...i was hooked and have been wanting one ever since now i have one (blade cp pro) not the best to learn on but it is mine and i am having a ball...even the crashing is worth it
Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 PM
choppersrule

I've always been awed at helicopters, since the I can't remember when,, (Old Choppersrule).

I flew rc planes for about 5 years, but the club got so big, you had to wait for hours before your flight was up on the board.

Didn't do anything, as far as flight thingies for about 5 years... Then out of the blue, and this is true. I was online one day and for some reason started to investigate helis... Have been hooked, additicted, mesmerised and spend lots of money on this nutty thing.
But it's so much fun, can't get away from it.

Dave / Choppersrule
Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Psikelly

I actually just finished listing a bunch of plane stuff. Brushless motors and my radio etc on a site in my city. Selling everything plane related except my fav. for flying in the cornfield behind the house. All money is going into a new spektrum radio I think and possibly an MX400. Helis just rule. I was actually going to get into helis before I was into RC at all and Im real sorry I wasted all that money on planes when it couldve been helis. I just love the challenge.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:57 PM
rawvoodoo

I saw a Levis (i think) commercial where some dude was sitting in some big warehouse flying one around that got my blood pumping (the heli not the dude) that and I am deathly afraid of money so I was looking for the largest money pit to throw it into. Heli's fit the bill. I can throw money I havent even earned into the pit easily...almost effortlessly. It's great now I am assured of poverty for the rest of my life.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:31 AM
pitch

i think i am really starting to understand the money pit thing learning in really eating away the $'s for new blades
Old 08-27-2006, 02:14 PM
alex k

My uncle got a buddy-box for me when i was like 8 years old, I was instantly hooked, and my parents got the joy of driving me 30 minutes away one a week for a whole summer. And I have been flying planes ever since. X-mas 2005, I put the Blade CX on the top of my X-mas list and, i got it along with a note from "Santa" that i am very lucky cause it was the last one in stock. I now have 3 helis and I fly a little 3-d(im 14 and only person in my county who owns,let alone fly a heli) . I cant fly with my uncle very much anymore because of some financial problems and his new job (he only gets wednesdays and thursdays off and im in school) I havent been able to go to a funfly in over a year because of this too, I cant wait until he gets this back under control.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:48 PM
charcoaldabs

I've always been mesmerized by flight. Seeing planes, helicopters, gliders, or anything in the air has always fascinated me. Something about breaking free of man's bounds to the earth has always struck a cord with me. I'm the kind of person that always looks out the window when they hear a plane or helicopter. I wanted something fun, and challenging. I was really having fun, until I bit of more then I could chew last week. I still need to get back in the air, though I am confident I'll get back in the air again. Anyways, that's my story.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Heli_Harry

I had too much money

I used to fly planes (almost 20 years ago), I did the car thing for a while 20 years ago and again about 5 years ago with my son.

I always wanted to try Heli's

So I got a Blade CX and a simulator and am having fun.

I sure wish they would have had the simulator 20 years ago.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:31 PM
wingnutinc

I was a commercial helicopter pilot for many years and lost my medical, so I figured if I can't fly the real any longer, RC would be a kind of a subsititute. I also got back into model building after over a 30 year hiatis. Just finished a BTE, Flying King. Learning how to fly that also. Wife says, No fool, like an old fool. Maybe she's right.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:13 PM
drphoto

I finally got out to my father's farm last night and he got his first stick time on the HoneyBee FP I bought for him. He's 83 and he did pretty well for the first time. I think he got one pretty nice hover for 20sec or so and never pranged it. Heck, I barely got it airborne first time.

I've got him on the radd's approach.

I think it helped that.....thanks to everone here's advice....I had the thing setup nicely....free of vibration, good trim settings, etc. But I'm not taking anything away from him....boy's got some skills. Hey he was a B24 pilot in the WW2 and P51 in Korea!

Gotta say....seeing that grin on his face after that hover made all my investment of time and money worthwhile. Now I gotta get my BCP back together and go fly with him.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Mochaboy

ORIGINAL: drphoto
Gotta say....seeing that grin on his face after that hover made all my investment of time and money worthwhile. Now I gotta get my BCP back together and go fly with him.
That's a fantastic story - glad it worked out for you Doc.

As for me, the last time I checked into the sport, it required an upfront investment of upwards of a few thousand dollars... When I came across the electric micros just recently and noticed they were in the $150 - well that made the decision easy.

The tough part is not wanting more.

I have to say though - tinkering and making it work the way it's supposed to is half the fun.