Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

blade cp pro trouble and newb questions

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

blade cp pro trouble and newb questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 AM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blade cp pro trouble and newb questions

hey guys, I'm new to heli's and just got a BCP.
I have been working on hovering this thing indoors as the weather has been very uncooperative for the past week or so, and i have a few questions.

Firstly, the heli seems to want to rotate. I have adjusted the trim so that when i hover (which I can only do for a few seconds) the tail stays in the same spot. But once I move the right stick to move the heli, the tail seems to want to swing.

Is this a gyro adjustment problem? I never touched any settings on the 4in1 or whatever it is from factory. Are factory settings good?

Next question...

All was going good and I am getting a bit more confident with this thing. Then, i had it at about 6 ft indoors, and I started to lose control and it was getting pretty close to a wall. I panicked and DROPPED it about 6 ft onto the hardwood floor where it landed almost flat on the landing gear, broek the gear, bounced about a foot in the air, landed sidways and the blades were still spinning even though I shut the throttle off asap.

So, I busted the gear, bent the mainshaft, broke the blade grips, dinged up my plastiblades pretty good, put the paddle pitch out of whack, broek both canopy retaining pins from the frame and the canpopy came off, and shattered the talil boom...

So, I replaced some parts and got it back together. But my new problem is that it doesn't want to lift off until almost full throttle now, whereas it lifted at about half before...

Mechanically everything looks good, but being new to heli's I am not sure about blade pitch. Could someone explain how the blades and paddles should be sitting?
Or if may have overlooked something, please let me know.

Thanks!!

PS: I read Bdavidsons thread, which ROCKED and helped a lot. Thanks yo!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:03 AM
Mochaboy

Default RE: blade cp pro trouble and newb questions

>> Are factory settings good?

They most certainly are NOT.

To set up your 4-1 pots.

- Left pot is Gain (i.e. gyro sensitivity)
- Right pot is Proportional (i.e. raises or lowers tail authority/strength proportionate to the main rotor)
- Turn both pots counter clockwise to zero. Be careful they are VERY delicate
- Turn the Proportional 1 quarter turn clockwise
- Spool the Heli up and see if it wants to rotate in place
- If it rotates counter clockwise - you need more Proportional mixing, so turn the Prop'l another quarter turn
- Keep doing this until the tail starts to swing clockwise then back the turns off and fine tune.

Once your tail is semi steady - it's time to set the Gain

What the gain basically does is set the sensitivity of the gyro to changes in aspect and applies power in proportion to that rate of change.

You can turn your gain up to somewhere around 60%-80%. You can turn it as high as it goes then watch to see if the tail "wags", or in other words overcompensates in both directions, then you back off a few turns till the tail stops wagging.

As far as the problem with blade pitch

- check that the flybar paddles are flat along the flybar axis (i.e. zero pitch)
- check that the flybar is straight
- check that the blades tracking properly
- chances are your pitch control links are too short which is why you're not hitting the right pitch amount until full throttle
- Go and buy a pitch gauge and read up on how to set pitch. I have this one and it works fine... http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=189

To set pitch:
- Disconnect your main motor and tail motor - pay special attention to their orientation while plugged in, you don't want to plug them back in backwards
- attach the pitch gauge and make sure the needle's on zero
- Turn your transmitter on
- Turn your helicopter on
- Let the 4-1 arm
- Flip the idle up switch on your transmitter
- Push the throttle stick to 50%
- Observe the pitch gauge, at 50%, the pitch should be zero or a few degrees above zero
- Lengthen the pitch controls link (the long one) until that blade zeroes out
- repeat this procedure with the other blade

When all that's done - check the tracking of the blades and adjust the pitch control links until they track. Just remember as a rule of thumb, add pitch to the low blade, try to avoid removing pitch from the high blade except for fine tuning.

You have ALOT of reading to do

http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v16/ehbg_index.html
Old 09-10-2006, 11:02 AM
jent

wow that post ^^ above ^^ really covered just about everything. I just wanted to add that you should not expect the tail to be 100% stationary, particularly when your turning. The gyro just is not good enough to do that, your going to need to be adding rudder almost always. You need a heading hold gyro in order to get the tail to quit moving so much. Unfortantly it is not nearly as easy to install a HH gyro on a bcp as a bcpp. I think you have to break open the 4 in 1 and manually solder it to the unit or something, but I would double check that as I own a BCPP and never really looked into it.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 PM
dustin7837
My Feedback: (1)

actaully I do have the pro, so I should be able to just plug the gyro in eh?

Thanks SOO much for the info guys!!

I was kind of wondering because when I could go to correct my hover slightly, the tail would swing like 90 degrees or more...

Thanks again!!!