Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Wheeeeeeee.......... Blade CP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:46 PM
crashcrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL....I lost a micro c-clip tearing apart a motor. After I searched and searched and couldn't find it, I then modified a new motor shaft so it didn't need the clip. Found the clip in the motor magnet tub while assembling the motor. My mod to eliminate that clip worked out FINE though. I FEEL your pain on the missing washer.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

not surprised... this happens to me ALL THE TIME X sent off from SIG to replace the motor package since it would be impossible to locate a source for it......( $ 38.00 ) ...... on the workbench, JACK ( cat) swats a small bowl with all the micro parts onto the floor.....so when I pick up all the fallen parts, I ALSO FIND THE MISSING E-micro clip.....with a bit of effort managed to make it click back on the shaft.......so now I have one extra motor for the ANTOINETTE and minus $ 38.00 in the bank......it`s awful trying to work with these micros.....can just barely see them, let alone handle them, [ somehow I seem to manage] ......hope that come September and after the cataracts operation sight will improve......
Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 AM
crashcrash

LOL...the cat knocking stuff all over. That is really funny stuff there. My wife has FIVE cats in this house, and not one of them offers to get near my R/C stuff. Mainly because they're waiting in line to eat, using the cat box, sleeping, or just fighting with each other. They do knock stuff down off counters or the piano, but that's not where my R/C stuff is.

I gotta hand it to ya, getting that clip to snap back on the shaft would be no easy task.

Expecting a mixed bag of parcipitation for the next 4 or 5 days (rain, snow, and freezing rain). Right now, the wind is 12-15mph, and it's 45deg. The 45deg isn't bad, but the wind makes it feel much colder so I dont stay outside very long at all.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Barrrick

Thumbs up

so here`s the latest pic....the plane gets slowly done.....you can see that now the whole airplane is covered....only the front of the fuse gets painted, the rest is supposed to be close to "old time" doped fabric.....see the back, it shows rather yellow but the whole effect is very authentic looking..........the power plant is ON and the two front holds for the wings are waiting for the glue to set...............next is what unnerves me : the "rigging" the process is explained very nicely in the manual....the "doing" is something else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	2046057  
Old 11-09-2014, 05:43 PM
crashcrash

Rick....looking good, keep chugging along. Nothing going on here because of wind and cold.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Barrrick

Thumbs up it~s a PLANE !

howdy y`all (2) successfully attached the holding tubes for holding the right wing.....so happy to see that everything ALIGNS quite well.
Now the model begins to appear as a plane.......notice how well the skinning was achieved ! tomorrow I set up the left wing system
and after that it will be all downhill, since I have to attach the whole tail systems, paint, and install 2 micro servos.....the radio system and
the ESC is all ready......we are still in summer time weather ( 80 + ) with no wind, so I doubt I will still be so lucky once this one is done to
go out and fly it........I may take it to the SENIOR SERVICE CENTER two blocks away they have a HUGE OPEN HALL......

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	2046389   Click image for larger version

Views:	27
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	2046390  
Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Barrrick

BY THE WAY and forgot to ask : where is our thread (the one we are on right now ) appear in the LIST of threads on the FORUMS DIRECTORY ???????
Old 11-10-2014, 05:11 PM
crashcrash

Rick....really starting to take shape. As far as the list is where this thread is" helicopters" "electric helicopters" "Eflite helicopters" "Wheeeeeee...blade CP" Yup....I had to look it up because I didn't remember either.

"SENIOR SERVICE CENTER two blocks away they have a HUGE OPEN HALL" really? We dont have many places like that here in the CORN FIELDS of the great white northern midwest.

Looking good....keep going.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Barrrick

Thumbs up

And finally, it begins to look like a plane ...................lots of tedious (necessary) details now pile up for handling, but I am UP TO IT !

the pic shows the wing " tentatively" installed on a system or support that is tacked on to allow for correct alignment of both wings.
NOW the plane is finalized with secure epoxy and is resting until tomorrow to permit the glues to consolidate. This was one of the
most worrisome parts. The next is the rigging, hard to follow but very detailed explanations included in the manual.

onward thru the fog

RICK

PS ALL the little building tricks, shortcuts, improvements learned over the years, all come back to me...(like riding a bicycle)
I hope SIG doesn`t sell too many of this kit to beginner-builders because they are guaranteed a failure...... They say use CA
lite and mid. I have used four different types of glue that work much much better...... [ RC509 - Elmer`s - CA and 15 min.epoxy]
depending on the location of the joint.....

Views:	25
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	2046764   Click image for larger version

Views:	23
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2046765  

Last edited by Barrrick; 11-11-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: + text
Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 PM
crashcrash

Rick.....it looks light as a feather. I agree about adhesives and I have a 3 glue rule. Thick CA/thin CA/and epoxy, and that's it PERIOD. I dont use CA accelerator either because I think it cures the CA to fast and makes a weaker attachment from my experience. Epoxy, I use 5min on non critical, 20min on critical (and 5min at the field for emergency repairs). Just my $.02 worth, but it's worked well for me many years. Now you got me thinking I need to build a plane this winter....STICK BUILT....BACK TO BASICS thing. Very enjoyable to build one but really stinks when you CRASH it. If I can get through the winter without getting ill, I may do it. When I get ill, it's serious, I end up at the doctors for antibiotics or in a hospital bed with pneumonia. I dont just catch colds, I crash hard getting really sick..

I'm going to Tower Hobby now to look at kits :O
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Barrrick

Thumbs up

hello VIC and JPEE
I have to laugh at myself......had I considered what I was getting into I would never have opened the kit box to do the Antoinette....turns out to do this kind of work you have to be some kind of old + patient Chinese craftsman, like they existed 100 years ago !!!!
turns out this plane is truly an INDOOR type and the items you work with are almost beyond my eyesight and the threads, the links, the wires all have to be handled with tweezers or surgical tools like miniature forceps. In the pics try to see the "center post"
on the top of this very thin bamboo there goes inserted a steell wire in the hundreds of an inch, plus not only aligned but also double bends into hooks which eventually support the wings !!!!!! just finished (see pics) looping the inside circuit on the right
wing.......it is coming out so well, I am pleased. Have also commited a serious mistake, having hinged and glued the "elevator" to the horizontal tab, which needs to be done only AFTER the vertical items are installed, which means the hinges need to be cut
out and restarted.......( I may use the old U/C technique of sewing thread for hinges )

Views:	26
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2047830   Click image for larger version

Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2047831   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2047832  
Old 11-16-2014, 10:35 AM
crashcrash

Well Rick, I see you're staying busy. The covering on those wings look nice and silky. That's funny you glued the hinges before you were supposed to, only because I've done the same thing a few times and it really irritated me so I know exactly how you felt when you realized it and that's the funny part when your stomach DROPS and you utter the infamous word "dammit".

Picked up about 2" of snow last night (wet and heavy on the ground), been staying in the house. Gonna be a LONG winter if I gotta sit in the house all winter.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:34 PM
JPEE

Hi Rick, I replied in an email with other information too

JPEE
Old 11-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Barrrick

Hellooooo the two guys !
here is one excited Oldde Phartte in Texas !!!!! I do not want to sing victory prematurely, but I have the ANTOINETTE 89% complete and pretty sure because none of what is necessary to be done is critical in any way. Just tedious
boring stuff :
I have the \WINGS completed and rigged completely......I have the fuselage completed (except for gluing/installing the stabilizer parts) ......I have the whole radio completely installed and WORKING 100% both micro servos have their
arms done and measured, only thing left to do is throw the connecting line between them and that is as simple as threading a needle....it`s binded and working well with the DX-8 no problems there.....I managed to change the electrical
operation of the motor ( GSW) from two prong connector fo rNiCad and/or NIMH into LiPo !!!!!!!! by changing the JST connector into a EC3......this allows me to use 1300 mAh batteries, now, and according to somewhere I read this should yield
at least 20 minutes of flying time, maybe more, since this model does nothing but fly straight and level at mostly cruising speeds, therefore almost no drain......and the little motor swings the 10 X 5.7 propeller quite perfectly....just
have to find a brown marker to change the horrible orange color into a nice brown/wood effect..
MAIDEN FLIGHT coming very soon, hope the warp in the wing gets fixed easy
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 PM
crashcrash

Rick....take your time on the warps and you'll get it. Been snowing all day, but accumulation very little.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:57 AM
JPEE

Hello Rick,

Glad to see that your Antoinette is coming along. I think that was a great idea changing battery types and going to a LIPO for extended flight time and good power to swing that 10-5. 20 minutes up in the air while sitting in a lawn chair sounds good to me :-)

To be honest Rick, I don't know that anything will cover that orange prop and stick to it as that's been an age-old problem for plastic. I've given it some thought and quite honestly beyond the felt marker I only have one other suggestion that I've seen done. There was a guy at my field that wanted to take a lot of stuff on his helicopter orange to make it more visible and granted the bulk of the stuff was white plastic to start with...............for a dollar it might be worth a test. What he did was by RITE clothes dye which they sell right at the grocery store and it comes in a little box the size of a deck of cards. You add it to a pot of boiling water then he would put the parts and their (fire now off) and soak them in that dye then let them dry and they would come out a nice bright orange as the color would soak into the plastic. Now they say the mixing of the entire color palette is what makes black, so the black dye just might overpower the orange in the plastic and give you what you're looking for. But then again there may be if you look around and APC slow fly black prop somewhere in the market. I would never even consider trying to paint it with anything because as you come down and land on the grass anytime the prop touches the the grass the paint would wear off and you would have orange showing in it would look like the devil. Good luck my friend

You take care and good luck and know we are all behind you 100% in your endeavor.

John
Old 11-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Barrrick

GREETINGS for all intents and purposes the model plane is now almost completed. The only serious problem to be overcome is still the warp on the wing. I have pulled out the GUN and set it on the highest temp. It seems to be working albeit slowly......to finish the plane I still have to complete the rigging and installing, then connecting the tail surfaces
I may have mentioned that I found in HSN a pair of sunglasses that incorporates a video camera. So, I purchased it not too bad 3 X $26.00 ( in three months) I was sold based on the samples of the film they took.
Just finished running the VIDEO CAM in the glasses......mind you, inside the bedroom, terrible lighting ( 1 incandescent bulb ) and still I believe the result is pretty darn good.
With this now I hope to emulate the JPEE show when he takes a great video of his own flying.......an inspiration
let me know what y`all think of my new VIDEO GLASSES ?
https://vimeo.com/112667081
Old 11-23-2014, 08:31 PM
crashcrash

Rick...for being INDOOR and having LOW lighting, that's excellent. Looks like Jack is having a BAD day or wants something to eat, LOL. If there is any way possible to get the inside of the wings wet without ruining the covering, you could get the balsa wet and pull the warps straight and hold it with clamps till it dries....dunno what you're really dealing with. If it were mine, I'd even rip the covering off and soak those wings and clamp them till dry. They'd be warp free then for sure.

Last edited by crashcrash; 11-23-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:01 AM
JPEE

Hello Rick,

As I wrote you last night...... Rick your new camera glasses are the cats meow LOL. Exactly like Vic said, with lowlight conditions inside the house in HD it still did a great job! I think you're going to be tickled with those annual be videotaping successful flights of the Antoinette! We all look forward to your next video compilation of flights and fun

JPEE
Old 11-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Barrrick

Smile

I EXPECT THAT EVERYBODY HAS HAD A SPLENDID THANKSGIVING DAY !
Friday mail got me the missing elements for the model. So today Saturday I have finally
been able to set the model complete......still have to set up four hinges for the horizontal
elevator ( now held with a bit of scotch tape) cannot decide if I want to hinge it normally
or sew the hinges.....the available wood is only 1/8" and flimsy either way.... Then a few
cables to complete the "rigging" and it`s done......the WARP is still haunting me, so far
had very little success in taking it out.......I may have to RE-DO the whole left wing all over.
The whole radio system is ready and only needs for the components to be hooked up,
it works really well. I even think the C.G. is right on, as well.
the weather is excellent here, except that the winds are 10 to 20 every day. I think I may
give the SENIOR CENTER indoor a try

Views:	19
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	2050882   Click image for larger version

Views:	25
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	2050883   Click image for larger version

Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	2050884   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	2050885   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2050886   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	2050887  

Last edited by Barrrick; 11-29-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:06 PM
JPEE

Hello Rick,

First let me say I hope you had a pleasant Thanksgiving too!

Not having the skills and ability you have with airplanes I can't even suggest which way to go on "to sew the hinges or not"!

What I do have an opinion on is the warping your wing. My opinion is don't sweat the small stuff, meaning…….This is a hobby....... and is supposed to be fun, so in the words of Dr. Phil how is stressing over that warped wing working for you????? I understand your one wing is not perfect, we all strive for perfection but you're not going to get it on this trip! Let it go, get your maiden flight in and enjoy the plane for what it is. If she needs some sub trim put in to counter that wing, then put them in the old transmitter and go back and get flying. This hobby is to promote fun and relaxation and not stress you out over a twisted wing that there's really not any "reasonable" fix for.

Trying to go out and Buck 10 to 20 mph winds would be fatal I fear, I think your idea to go fly in the senior citizen center is excellent and nothing less.

Today out of boredom I charged a battery for my RC crawler and had a little fun out in the front yard, up and down the street and in my neighbors front yards crawling through flowerbeds. I drove the car for 45 minutes pretty hard after some of the natural slow crawling so I wanted to check the battery. I was still at 3.9 per cell, yikes! So I continued to race around a while longer to get it down to 3.8 per cell and then placed it on the charger for a balance and storage charge.

JPEE

Name:	IMG_2825.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2050934  

Last edited by JPEE; 11-29-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Barrrick

Thumbs up

PHYNALLY PHNISHED PHANTASTIC PHLYING MACHINE.......well, PHOR the most part !
It AMAZED me just how much the whole thing came into PHOKUS the minute I got the
two wheels installed.....methinks it looks great......there was a great deal of difficult in the
final steps which was putting the elevator and the (2) rudders into their places with the
hinges ligned up...... there is no way sometimes to actually hold the two parts together.....
needs only two things : finalize the rigging and CONNECT the two micro servos to the
moving surfaces.......( be done before this day is over ! )
RICK

Views:	28
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2051244   Click image for larger version

Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2051245   Click image for larger version

Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	2051246  
Old 11-30-2014, 12:03 PM
JPEE

Well Good On You Rick!

I personally have always had to blow up your photos to see all your small detail work like the thread rigging on top of the wings. Now today I see all of that tooth pick like wood that holds the landing gear in place. That plane is such an accomplishment I hope your as proud of

yourself as we are of you!!!!!!!

Raining here in sunny Cal through Wed...............we so desperately need it in our drought stricken state.

Smiles to you Rick
Old 12-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Barrrick

HELLOOO THERE CAL / MICH !

Breaking the plane has proven to be "beneficent" As I set up the repair (ready now, only needs the fabric ironed on and it is much stronger) I have found the BIG solution to the tail connections. I have never liked the idea of " pull /pull " to
move surfaces so I eliminated the whole thing off the model with a couple of scissors cuts.
I actually have a VERY super micro rod within a sleeve which I purchased years ago..... I am going to just do ONE point connection on the servo arm and ONE point connection on rudders and elevator !!!! this inside rod is actually carbon fiber
and there is ABSOLUTELY NONE friction...and ball links on the ends........the weight is negligible also so this has to wok very nicely......bad thing still left is that I haveto RE-hinge both because the hinges overflowed CA and partially locked them.
I hope both of you liked the great VIDEO I sent about the GLIDER meeting in Switzerland.....boy.....them fellows spend some $$$$$ on their toys.......Incredible to see that they actually had a mid-air......
tomorrow is my midweek day off.....so I will get busy, particularly because the RAINS have reached us here also.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Rick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.