Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Constantly Breaking Blades - Alternatives?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Constantly Breaking Blades - Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:43 AM
ScatteredParts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Constantly Breaking Blades - Alternatives?

Ok I've broken a few of the standard blades that the CP comes with. Everytime its mainly the plastic coating that comes off, but is it a better idea to use the carbon fiber blades, or are those for more experienced pilots? I want a set where skimming the ground isnt going to ruin the balance of the blades (if thats even possible). I'm also flying in the snow given the season, aside from the obvious water damage risks, does this really impact the flight at all?

to date ive broken:

2 sets of blades
landing skid
main frame (this one was a bear to fix)

...in one week

Old 01-23-2007, 11:05 AM
lanny2003

Default RE: Constantly Breaking Blades - Alternatives?

I have had mine (CP pro) since Christmas. Found for the blades if you use some packing tape and wrap the tips (about 1" ) they last longer. The plastic or carbon fiber blades will last a long time. Problem is if you crash somthing else will break.

Dont know about snow. Short grass will stop the tail I reckon snow might do the same.

I can now hover good and move foward and back and left to right.

to date I have been thru:
6 sets of blades
2 spindles (shaft that connects the two blade grips together)
1 set skids (just worn off from skidding around on pavement)
Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 AM
Truglodite

although no blade is indestructible, cf will survive skimming the ground far better than wood. i've skimmed mine twice on cememt, once really bad, and they still fly well without needing repairs (slightly scraped cf on the tips could be sanded and epoxied, but i'm lazy). i'd say cf is for better performance, but shouldn't be used if you're prone to flying into yourself or others (or cars...). because cf gets razor sharp when it shatters. as far as how much experience you should have before flying them? that's a matter of personal safety. it's all up to you. because they're so much stiffer, they do perform much better than wood in ff, and they hold tracking better for improved hovering too. another thing to consider: if a pair of $30 cf blades survive two tipovers, you've saved yourself money by not having to buy 3 sets of $15 woodies to get to that point.

btw, i recommend cf blades from eflight. they're of high quality and are lighter than many other brands.

as far as flying in the snow, the cold air will give your heli more lift, which will make it seem more powerful. you'll also get longer flight times and your electronics will stay cooler too. the only downfall with cold weather is if it gets too cold, plastic parts can crack easily.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Truglodite

ORIGINAL: lanny2003

Problem is if you crash somthing else will break.
this is true with plastic blades because they weigh so much more than wood. cf are as light as wood and wood often doesn't break away easy enough to save blade grips anyways. in my experiences you're just as likely to break parts with wood as you are cf. in fact, one time i smacked my boom several times with the cf blades spinning 2500rpm; no damage to anything. actually with wood you break more parts... the blades.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
ScatteredParts

I'm not to worried about breaking the blade grips, those are cheap to replace unlike the $15 wooden blade sets. I might have to give the CF blades a try then since they seem to be reliable and durable in comparison. I usually dont fly high at all, and the oddity is, I still seem to manage to destroy something when I skim 2 inches off the ground or just skim the ground itself. I do use the training gear and it made a huge difference in stability, especially since i can't tip over easily . I also dont fly near other people since I lack the skill to control the CP efficiently. I still think the chopper itself is by far the neatest thing that I've played with in R/C, it's just a real pain to get used too...

Last Question, is there a really well made Simulator anyone would recommend?
Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
HeliTB

Be very careful with Carbon Fiber when damaged, at high speeds they can explode (break and making a loud popping sound). I had that happen yesterday. I had a damaged cf tail rotor blade break loose from the grip and it sounded like a gun being shot.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM
ScatteredParts

Would you recommend the CF blades then? I dont actually hit hard with the blades, as i stated above i just skim the tips to where the plastic coating comes off and then unbalances the blades. I've got the training gear, heat sinks and a stock CP and now that i actually use the training gear the blades hit the ground even less. This is more or less why i was thinking that carbon fiber blades would be a good option for durability. Sure they cost double but if they can get me through a few days i'd be making out better on cost.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last Question, is there a really well made Simulator anyone would recommend?

Scattered............. I pony'd up and bought FS One with controller $209.00 plus the govorners cut (tax) was about $230. but they have the blade CP both with and without training gear already set up on it. I bought mine at LHS but you could also get it online. Well worth the money as theres more to fly than just your own model. If you can fly the Blade CP on that program.....you can fly anything. Make sure your computer will handle the job tho. Video card is of the utmost importance. I had to install on my office machine as it has the video card. Onboard video just doesn't cut it.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Of all the things I ever lost.......................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
ScatteredParts

Thanks for the info Arrow, I'll definitely look it up. Our comp is a gaming machine too so I'd be surprised if it didn't run right.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:01 AM
gixxernoob

Try RADDS "http://www.dream-models.com/eco/index.html" to learn how to fly... it does help a lot. I use the JCS plasti blades "http://www.amazon.com/E-Flite-Blade-PlastiBlades-Resistant-rotors/dp/B000FBZLEY" however the part the breaks a lot is the tail boom during crashes so I guess there is always a trade off when a part is almost indestructible there are other weak parts that will break. Btw I went through 6 pairs of woodies and finally gave up on it since it was too costly and switch to JCS.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2431

Link for FS One Simulator with controller........... great learning tool..and well worth the cost. Best of luck, love this new addiction!

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Of all the things I ever lost............................ I miss my mind the most!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Plates5

My 2 cents I to went through 3 sets of woodies plus misc parts when I first started out 1 month ago. I switched to the plastic blade and also worked my way throught the RADD school of hovering. Since then I have only replaced the tail boom on it. (thumbs on tail tap) I purchased a CF tube 1 m x 5.2mm ($6 total = 3 tails) and cut to length with a dremil disc, then sanded the Diameter to snuggely fit into the body and the tail mount I have not used glue on them since. I did have a hard landing the other day and only thing that happened is that the tail mount turned slightly, pushed on tight and back up in the air. This seems to be a lot more economical than $15 sets of blades that pop with the slightest touch of anything. RADD rules!!!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

You might want to remove the training gear at this point. I know you think it is more stable, but the stability is really from the weight. Training gear adds about an once. I left mine on too long and when I was skimming grass a CF would catch and a very ugly crash would result. A good way to add an ounce is to get a TP1320 to put in it. Then you have power and stability.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 PM
bigbore

I'm a newbie too and I got a set of semi-symetrical plastic blades. I read the warnings about more damage to other parts but my mishaps are only skimmimg the blade on the floor not strikes so they have served me well.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 AM
vortex05

Heli direct has just started offering a super cheap $20 CF blades. I might consider switching to those soon after these woodies are beyond repair.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 AM
lanny2003

Picked up a set of CF blades yesterday.

I was amazed at how smooth it fly's with the CF blades. It was windy and still held a stable hover.

I am still just hovering good and flying forward and back, left and right.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 AM
ScatteredParts

So plastic blades over the carbon fiber blades? Plastic sounds like it would be the way to go if its cheaper and would serve the purpose of not breaking apart after a skim or two.

Lately I have been hovering about an inch or three off the floor in my kitchen since the outside temp is around 10 degrees and adding the wind chill caused by the blades makes it alot colder... making really brittle plastic. I'm going to keep the training gear on for this type of practice, being as this is the step of RADDs I'm on (rather just finishing RADDs, which is a godsend for us new pilots). I'll admit my busted blades were from before the course was taken, but the main frame assembly was cracked, I believe, due to the weather and a harsh landing after I took the course.

Overall I rather enjoy just messing around in the kitchen for now, since it actually gives me more control mentally. I do have a nasty habit of wanting to fly up about 3-5 ft and freaking out (yes, even still) and cutting the power to the blades to much.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
ScatteredParts

Lanny.... do the carbon fiber blades take a decent beating? Let me know for sure when you find out
Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 AM
lanny2003

ORIGINAL: ScatteredParts

Lanny.... do the carbon fiber blades take a decent beating? Let me know for sure when you find out
Suposed to be windy (10 to 20mph) today. I hope tomorrow will be a good day for testing.

I read somewhere on here the plastic blades are heavier and will flex more on hard landing resuliting in boom hits. That is the reason I went with CF.

I am just a newbie. Some times I find out the hard way.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
ScatteredParts

Suposed to be windy (10 to 20mph) today. I hope tomorrow will be a good day for testing.
I can relate to that, especially when the seasons change, the wind really kicks up then too so I'll be kitchen flying off and on.

I'll probably end up trying both types of blades, I'm just not sure what one I'll try first. I love the look of the carbon fiber ones though so I'm leaning towards that. I'm just hoping they don't snap in the first week or less or my lady will shank me with the remainder of the blade.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:37 AM
gixxernoob

I just came from the park today and it was 37deg. with nw wind of 9-10mph. I tried flying the thing at least 20ft up and I am telling you what a rush bec. I almost lost control due to wind gust but for some reason I remember from RADDS to hold the tail which is what I did and landed. :0) Btw I just finished RADDS training 2 weeks ago and it seems that the basics of flying is helping a great deal when I practice outside. The beat up plasti blades held up in the air pretty good considering I crash that blade @ least 15 times and broke so many tail booms. I will probably try the carbon fiber blades when I'm done with the plasti blades.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:53 PM
ScatteredParts

gixxernoob ,

How do you like the plastic blades over wooden ones? I'm just trying to get input from various CP owners on what they like best as far as durable and reliable blades.

I stopped the outside flying for the time being due to reasons previously posted. I just got done with some kitchen flying though and I'm having a blast getting familiar with the controls.

PS: can anyone recommend a good and low priced rapid charger for the stock batteries the CP comes with? 2 hour wait time kills me!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Truglodite

20' high, keeping the tail in check, and recovering from problems in the air? bro, i'd say you're already done with plastiblades.

it's cool how the discipline you get from RADD's stays with you well after graduation. goes to show how important good hovering skills really are. hope the weather shapes up for you all. i've got awesome weather right at the moment.

scatteredparts, i know what you mean about the confines of the kitchen keeping your bad habits in check. when i first started to fly i tried keeping it it 1' off the ground in 3'x'3' area in my garage that was surrounded by workbenches, a porsche, and a chair. i had all the reasons in the world to stay in that box, and i managed well. when i went outside it was another story; i was all over the place and crashing often. after i realized what was going on mentally, and until i could stay airborn the whole pack, i stayed in that crazy 3'x3' box with my porsche sitting right there to keep my head in check.

[edit: you'd be amazed at how much your head will get in the way of flying your best. if you can do it without laughing out loud, try to imagine your favorite pet is onboard or something. that extra stress of knowing a crash will hurt somehow really helps make your thumbs get serious about what they're responsible for. those little blips where you normally would say, "that was weird, oh well, hope i can fly out of it now.", you'll be saying, "holy s**t what the h*** was that?!?! that was close!!! i need to land right now and figure this out before i kill Fluffy." this doesn't change the fact that helis are just fun toys; all i'm saying is if you're in the right mindset to fly your best, you should end up with a huge (holy s***!!!) rush of adrenaline during any noticeable mistakes.]
Old 01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
gixxernoob

I like it a lot in fact I have 2 extra's JCS plasti blades a flat bottom and symmetrical. I will probably keep on using them until they wear out and eventually switch to woodies. If I used woodies up to this time I'll probably be broke by now bec. of the $15 a pop everytime it gets shredded due to crash. However after 6-7 sets of woodies I wise up and bought the plasti blades. **Again the only drawback on this setup is the tail boom will go first upon impact and probably a bent pitch control. My solution was using a 3/16 x 12" aluminum tube that I bought for a buck a piece from LHS to where if it crash then I just have to straighten the part or replace it totally since its cheap compared to the stock ones on the CPP. good luck on your choice [8D]

ORIGINAL: ScatteredParts

gixxernoob ,

How do you like the plastic blades over wooden ones? I'm just trying to get input from various CP owners on what they like best as far as durable and reliable blades.

I stopped the outside flying for the time being due to reasons previously posted. I just got done with some kitchen flying though and I'm having a blast getting familiar with the controls.

PS: can anyone recommend a good and low priced rapid charger for the stock batteries the CP comes with? 2 hour wait time kills me!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
gixxernoob

Thanx. I'm telling you that RADDS training save me a lot of money and enhance my basic skills a lot. It was well worth it. I will probably used the remaining plasti blades I have and eventually switch to woodies. Its nice that you are having a nice weather their in CA but here in VA we are mostly getting flurries and 20-30 deg. weather. Well enjoy and happy flying

ORIGINAL: Truglodite

20' high, keeping the tail in check, and recovering from problems in the air? bro, i'd say you're already done with plastiblades.

it's cool how the discipline you get from RADD's stays with you well after graduation. goes to show how important good hovering skills really are. hope the weather shapes up for you all. i've got awesome weather right at the moment.

scatteredparts, i know what you mean about the confines of the kitchen keeping your bad habits in check. when i first started to fly i tried keeping it it 1' off the ground in 3'x'3' area in my garage that was surrounded by workbenches, a porsche, and a chair. i had all the reasons in the world to stay in that box, and i managed well. when i went outside it was another story; i was all over the place and crashing often. after i realized what was going on mentally, and until i could stay airborn the whole pack, i stayed in that crazy 3'x3' box with my porsche sitting right there to keep my head in check.

[edit: you'd be amazed at how much your head will get in the way of flying your best. if you can do it without laughing out loud, try to imagine your favorite pet is onboard or something. that extra stress of knowing a crash will hurt somehow really helps make your thumbs get serious about what they're responsible for. those little blips where you normally would say, "that was weird, oh well, hope i can fly out of it now.", you'll be saying, "holy s**t what the h*** was that?!?! that was close!!! i need to land right now and figure this out before i kill Fluffy." this doesn't change the fact that helis are just fun toys; all i'm saying is if you're in the right mindset to fly your best, you should end up with a huge (holy s***!!!) rush of adrenaline during any noticeable mistakes.]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.