Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Roi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

It would be interesting to see how many of you REALLY Had an OUT OF THE BOX success.
Did you REALLY just charge the batteries and fly the little wonder just like the box says ?

Roi

Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 PM
soloboss

Default RE: Do You Believe OUT of the BOX SUCCESS ?

Ummm, it's been a while. Let me think.
Nope. Didn't happen that way at all. My LHS guy flew it fine out of the box. But that wasn't the question, was it?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:22 PM
GaryH-Eugene

I would be willing to bet on two things.

1. A very high percentage of heli's would be flyable right out of the box by an experienced pilot.

2. A very low percentage of heli's would be flyable right out of the box by inexperienced pilots.

Same heli's, different pilots - guaranteed difference in results.

Gary
Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
choppersrule

GaryH,

Very well put, been there, done that. First time was a headache, after a year, piece of cake. Just like leaning to drive a car or riding a bicycle.

Dave / Choppersrule

ORIGINAL: GaryH-Eugene

I would be willing to bet on two things.

1. A very high percentage of heli's would be flyable right out of the box by an experienced pilot.

2. A very low percentage of heli's would be flyable right out of the box by inexperienced pilots.

Same heli's, different pilots - guaranteed difference in results.

Gary
Old 04-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

I flew my BCX2 right out of the box. I picked it up during lunch one day at work, charged it then flew it in the lunch room. It flew pretty good without needing much trimming.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Truglodite

i wouldn't say i had "out of the box" success. i thought tracking and other things were keeping me from flying so i fixed them, and it helped a little. i'm a natural tinkerer, so to this day it's rare that anything flies out of the box for me, even if it could.

there is something to be said about the pilot. a good enough pilot can make rocks fly out of the box, where as some beginners might give up on a well accepted trainer after months of frustration.

if you don't succeed right out of the box, don't forget there are many very good pilots out there that did worse.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Roi

Do you really beleive that these companys are ad marketing these OUT OF THE BOX helis to only erxperenced pilots ?
Read the ads. Read the marketing. Read the display boxes. I am reading some ads in a current heli mag: " Everyone's gonna want to fly it because everyone can." " Just take it out of the box and start hovering, Its that easy" "This heli makes a great beginners helicopter" And the push goes on...... Roi
Old 04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Roi

After 5 days of trying, I crashed it with my number 12

This is not a crash.
After 5 days of trying to get this piece of trash of the the ground without going crazy I put my 12 inch foot in it.
The blades wer way out of track, you could see how badly it was set up and trimed, the 3 in 1 unit was way out of adjustment. If these were flight tested at the factory, they certinaly wern't tested by the same person.

CLICK ON THE PIC ! That's not a crash. It was my foot. My cussing stopped after that and now I'm civil again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80249.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	654772  
Old 04-01-2007, 06:44 PM
DriveWRX

I agree 100% with Gary.

When I got my Blade CX, I was a total newbie. I had trouble just getting off the ground. So, no "out of the box" success.
I got the new CX2 when it came out. By this time, I had a few months of flying experience. So, for the CX2, I did have "out of the box" success.

Yes, the new ads with "just charge the batteries and fly" are misleading. True for experienced pilots but not so for beginners....

*EDIT* Just saw you picture.. ouch! Two words: patience and practice.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:00 PM
hands without shadows

ORIGINAL: Roi

After 5 days of trying, I crashed it with my number 12

This is not a crash.
After 5 days of trying to get this piece of trash of the the ground without going crazy I put my 12 inch foot in it.
The blades wer way out of track, you could see how badly it was set up and trimed, the 3 in 1 unit was way out of adjustment. If these were flight tested at the factory, they certinaly wern't tested by the same person.

CLICK ON THE PIC ! That's not a crash. It was my foot. My cussing stopped after that and now I'm civil again.
No offence, but that's a waste and your troubles could have been very easily fixed.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:15 PM
mrasmm

I was able to fly mine out of the box with no real heli experience and hover on my first pack. The blades tracked fine and everything was set up fine. It did crash it on about my 4th flight because the tail motor burned up and it crashed into the bleachers in an indoor gym =P. I did spend 2 months reading every forum that I could about anything about the blades or honeybee's though, and I also spend about the same time, probably 2 hours a day on a flight sim before I even bought the heli. I figured after I got the heli I would just want to fly the real thing, not some sim =P

I wouldn't say that is typical though, and the ads are hyped... also I don't think most people spend that much time on a sim before they fly the real thing.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Roi

Hands....
It might be a waste of money, but that's not my problem.
I've been in this flying hobby for a little over 40 years. The last 11-12 in helis.
I have received a lot of misfit trash.
I have always believed in the phrase; "Out of sight, Out of mind".
For 5 days and many, many hours, 6 hours today, I have been going "Out Of My Mind".
So today I put it "Out Of Sight". My cussing curve has gone down to ZERO and I am so at ease.
Roi
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
bilboa

ORIGINAL: Truglodite
there is something to be said about the pilot. a good enough pilot can make rocks fly out of the box, where as some beginners might give up on a well accepted trainer after months of frustration.
There are limits though. A good pilot can't fly a heli if the tail rotor flies off because it wasn't tightened at the factory or the tail rotor servo binds and won't move one way, or the collect pitch pushrod isn't tightly connected to the collective servo, etc.

I've had two E-Flite helis now, a Blade CX and a Blade CP Pro, and both flew great out of the box. The only thing wrong with either was the tracking was a little off. I got a Falcon 3D which is also supposedly an RTF, and it had all sorts of problems, including the ones I listed above. Luckily I'd been warned about the poor assembly quality of this heli, so my tail rotor blades didn't actually fly off because I checked it over first, but a beginner who hadn't read these forums first wouldn't have had such luck. My point is, some companies really do put together better products than others. With the E-Flite stuff I've seen no reason yet to doubt their claim that they test fly each model before it goes in the box.

Having said that, I agree that some of the claims by manufacturers about beginners just being able to fly a heli out of the box are bogus, even if the heli itself is capable out of the box. They definitely make it sound easier than it is to fly these things.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Are you serious? After 40 years in the hobby and 11-12 spent with helis one would think that it would be a little easier to cope. If the heli was that bad..........why not take it back to the LHS or ship it back to the store and get your money back? I do my fair share of cussing too and hair pulling so I am not above thoughts of a good stomp now and again. The fact that this worked for you is good, I am glad you have peace. I personally could never do that, I am just not built that way. IMHO............. childish tantrum. Waste of money and effort.

Hands....
I've been in this flying hobby for a little over 40 years. The last 11-12 in helis.
For 5 days and many, many hours, 6 hours today, I have been going "Out Of My Mind".
So today I put it "Out Of Sight". My cussing curve has gone down to ZERO and I am so at ease.
Roi

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost.................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Captain Randy
My Feedback: (1)

Awe, c'mon. We have all been there. My wallet has kept me from doing it, but I bet stomping the crap out of a $250 heli felt good! You go ROI, YEE HAAAW!!!!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Truglodite

to each his own. some get more out of stomping; i'd rather put it on craigslist and get money to buy something i know works. again, depends on the person, and mileage may vary.

when we all start with helis we are forced to seriously consider if we have the brains, patience, time, and money it takes to learn them. when most reasonable ppl see those ads showing ppl smiling while locking in a hover in the first 5 minutes of flying they say, "erm, i bet flying is going to be a lot harder than that for me. i've seen how complicated helis are and heard how hard it is to fly them. i think i'm still going to need a bunch of help to do this right."

on the other hand, many ppl might believe those ads and buy those helis in hopes they can fly without having to use any brains, patience, time, or even help. the thing is learning to fly helis is no minor accomplishment. it's a task you could compare to someone trying to loose 100lbs; you ultimately need more than just diet pills to reach your goals.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
techrtr

I flew my CPP right out of the box. After spending a couple of days going through RADD, I hovered it without too much difficulty. My problems started when I advanced beyond hovering and tried forward flight and circuits.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
GaryH-Eugene

Hands....
Roi
It's hard to believe a 12 year old has been flying for over 40 years... Actually, that's an insult to 12 year olds and I apologize...
Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
whtmex

I did have out of the box success with my CX. Then I flew my CX long enough to have out of the box success with my CP, but there were still adjustments that had to be made to get it set up to where it should have been when I pulled it out of the box. I kinda started a trend here, and several people bought CP's and CPP's after me. I've seen sume funky stuff come out of the box since I've become the unofficial test pilot. I think the best one yet though was the backwards flybar paddles.

chad
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM
cojim14

I have a CPP and I flew it fine the first time. I didn't realize how much the "ground effect" played into the drifting but once I got it up higher I was fine. I had been flying on a sim for 3 or 4 months before but never in real life. So I think I did have out of the box success. Still, I'm not a very experienced pilot and can't fly in any wind but getting better at it every flight.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
sportsman67

Hi, I had a friend who has 20 years experience flying nitro and now a Trex450SE electric rc helicopter. Everything worked correctly in the preflight tests, the blades tracked fine and it just needed a little adjustment on the proportional trim pot to hold the tail straighter. He flew it to trim it for me, it flew fine and he said he thought it was a good helicopter for the price I paid. It will however cost more money to learn how to fly for me as parts are something I will definately need to buy, I have only had it three days and I'm grounded until I buy main rotor blades, tail rotor and retaining pin. I also practice on the sim everyday but find it harder to fly the real thing. I will keep trying though because I find it extremely challenging but very rewarding. Goodluck Flying.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Roi

Precisely because I have 40 years in this game, I expect more. There have been great strides in this hobby just in the past 10 years but there is still crap out there. Lets take my new Airskipper: Full of stupidity misfits. There are 11 parts just for the Gyro pad. The radio pad only takes 4 screws and a plastic tray. The same for the servo pad; 4 screws and a plastic pad. Another engineering blunder is the engine servo with the wire leads touching the hot engine head. I turned the servo 180 degrees to save it from the engine. Another is the cooling fan. Any person who has cooled their face from a fan knows the blades must have a cant to move the air. MKuch like the main rotor and tail rotor. But JR must know something that the rest of the world does not know because they continue to produce a cooling fan with no direction to the blades. So with my 40 years, I expect some expertise and perfection in this very expensive hobby.

I come from the auto industry where it took 6 years to come out with a new model. It was called Pre-Production and prototype testing. From what I heard; JR said they tested the Airskipper in Europe for 3 to 4 yaers before introducing ti the US. That's a joke ! There are so many blunders in this machine and just read the manual; If you follow it you will build a desaster.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Roi,

You are OK, the rest of the world is screwed up!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 AM
treCool88

i just got the cx2 and to mjake a long story short i've been thru a bunch of upper and lower blades, an inner shaft and a lower hub.

i suck at flying.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 AM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: treCool88

i just got the cx2 and to mjake a long story short i've been thru a bunch of upper and lower blades, an inner shaft and a lower hub.

i suck at flying.

lol, probably not... you just might be harder on yourself than the rest of us. We've all spent alot more on crashes than we care to admit... you're definately not the only one

you'll get her figured out =)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.