Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
p01rogue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: That's it, I'm selling, I'm sick of the cp pro.

ORIGINAL: xeos

You know... I love my CP Pro... but yesterday was so horrible that it was the first time I've actually considered retiring it. I had run 3 batteries through it with no problems whatsoever, inspected the bird between each pack while the main motor cooled a little, everything looked tip-top. Slipped the 4th pack in and get about 20' off the ground, leaned the bird over to the left to begin some lateral sliding practice and one of the balls breaks off the paddle control frame, bird goes nuts in mid-air for obvious reasons and slams into the ground... rolling 3 times. Flybar bent, paddle control frame destroyed, CF blades destroyed, spindle bent, main shaft bent, one mixer arm assembly destroyed, 3020 tail prop broken, rotor head frame cracked. Amazingly the superskids survived, as did the titanium superboom and all the electronics/motors. By far the worst crash I've ever had with any bird, and it wasn't even my fault!

Upon close inspection of the area where the ball broke off the paddle control frame I noticed that there was an air bubble in the plastic right behind where the ball was molded. The break was exactly down the middle of the bubble, one half in the frame, the other half presumably in the ball itself, but who knows where that ended up in the field behind my house. Gotta love costly crashes due to POOR manufacturing of parts.

Needless to say I'm pretty upset with Eflite & my CPP at the moment. The TREX that's partially built on my shelf looks like it's finally gonna get done since giving eflite any more money for replacement junk plastic parts chaps my hide currently. Especially when this crash could have been avoided by oh... I dunno, a little quality control?
agreed 100%
wish the parts were better quality.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Default RE: That's it, I'm selling, I hate the cp pro.

Hi Cambo,

I wouldn't say I'm worried, just curious how many autorotated landings out of 50 the T-Rex and other micros could make from 40 feet in 15 mph wind and not have a scratch to the heli.

Xeos, that sucks, I know the feeling. Last week I cashed $2,000 worth in rc planes. 1st plane crashed cause, I didn't plug in aileron servo, other plane crashed, because I ignored a radio glitch, both could of been preventable. The best thing for me is not to take rc to heart, cause that would make for a very short hobby. Spending alot of money and crashing products has to be acceptable to a certain point. I agree the E-Flite molded pieces are of poor quality. At the least, they could make them from carbon fiber, instead of making people like you and me and 100,000's of others walk around their backyard picking up junk and hours of work. Dudes from up north say their parts snap right out of box, once heli is exposed to the ambient temp and flown, I would assume is in the 30's.

Special person X, most in your case would of trashed the CPP and kept whatever electrics that remained. I been fortunate lately haven't had any crashes, perhaps less then 3 hours of actual flight time. Soon I'll go to the LHS and grab a couple of parts. With the CPP and other micros it's a matter of time before the 3-1 goes out, or some molded parts snaping in flight. When my CPP is more trash then it's worth, I'll be going to nitro and gas heli's. I just wanted the out-of-the-box, hard flying CPP action before I enter the big class. I flew nitro and gas before, just never spent the 3/5,000.

Jenkins, I wouldn't doubt the CPP tailmotor could go out during flight, but highly unlikely if maintenance is done. No doubt E-Flite has some of the poorest quality molded parts from across the pond, creating many unneccesary crashes. Gotta pay to play. I consider E-Flite temporary in my fleet.

Pearl
Old 05-12-2007, 11:24 PM
DHC8GURU

The Blade CP won't Autorotate and the only reason you would have to is because of a dead battery or main motor failure and since it has no autorotation bearing and you wouldn't generate enough headspeed to overcome the motor cogging, I guarantee the headspeed will drop so fast it would fall like a rock. I never have had in 100+ hours flying a TREX 450, the belt break. The Blade CP burns up main and tail motors about every 3 hours of flying which with either fry the 3-1 and when the motors begin to fail most people are led to believe the 3-1 is acting up and rush out and drop $60 replacing it only to add to the frustration of "whats wrong with it" syndrome.
I repair more screwed up CP's then any other RC product bar-none. They are expensive junk! Shame on E-flight....there other products are great.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:10 PM
xeos

You can buy & install an autorotation setup for the CPP, replaces the main gear & shaft and adds a one-way bearing. I've never tried the autorotate setup so I can't comment on how well it works, but assuming it functions as it should I don't see why it wouldn't work. One can't really expect too much out of a RTF bird that only costs $200-250 off the shelf. Yes, they become more expensive once upgrading begins, but in their stock form are pretty darn cheap when you look at overall prices in this hobby.

My best guess for why you repair more CPP's than any other RC product is the simple fact that it's an EXTREMELY difficult helicopter to fly, has many small precision parts, and probably crashes more than any other bird on the market. I'd say 50% could be attributed to crashes because of how touchy it is in the air and 50% to the plain fact that the CPP is probably owned by more people than any other bird. But to be perfectly honest, anyone that's taking their helicopters to someone else to have them repaired is wasting their time. If someone can't make the effort to learn how to & fix their own heli's then they really have no business being in this hobby unless they just have gobs of cash to throw at it and are beyond the financial burdens of paying others to do their repairs. But then why are they flying a CPP and not something more expensive & endlessly more stable like a TREX 450/600? Half of the fun of this hobby, at least for me & I know many others, is repairing the heli's. It's fun being both a pilot & a greasemonkey sometimes.

However, I do agree that the level of quality of parts from Eflite could be better. I would even venture as far as to say that some parts are engineered to fail easily, thus forcing us to buy replacements, *cough* spindles *cough cough*. But we can't expect a solid gold bird at copper prices. I've accepted that fact and continue to fly mine, even when something horrible happens that I KNOW was caused by crappy parts. Why? Because all things aside, the CPP is an awesome heli for the price and is by no means junk. They just have to be shown a little love, inspected thoroughly between flights and set up properly. Everyone here flies heli's so everyone here knows how even the tiniest error in set up can have catastrophic results once the bird is up in the air, and that applies to any heli, not just the CPP.

Yeah, yet another long xeos post... heh. And please don't take anything I said about people paying others to repair their stuff personally, it's not meant that way.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
AeroDave

I like my CP Pro. its fun to fly and relatively simple. I never did get in to the heavy mods with it, though. I put that money into a trex. So that's what I fly most of the time. I just fly the blade kind of for fun. One of the main reasons I wanted a trex was to get rid of the tail motor. With a properly maintained belt drive you have much less chance of failure, as well as instant, precise response. Providing, of course, you have a decent gyro and servo. I use the 401/9650 combo. So I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't really expect too much from the blade. I think its strong points are that its really little and can be flown in small places. Also that its unintimidating. Its quiet, and with the stock motor not very powerful. And since it doesn't cost that much its relatively not too scary to fly. Its just a fun, little, good flying bird. Mine doesn't get nearly as much flight time as it used to. When it was my only electric heli I flew it all the time. Now it mostly sits in its carrying case and the trex's are my first choice. But I'll always keep it. Its really fun to get together with friends in the winter and fly little helis like the blade. Viewed in that light its a really good value.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 PM
LostByChoice

I have had the CP for about 6 months now, and it's been tough. I have bought stock in E-Flite. For some reason I break landing skids like glass. Soft landings, broken, hard landings, shattered, hovering in one place, broken. But I ordered Super-Skids today, hopefully they will last. And I agree about the plastic blades. Sure they are tough, (bent my head unit completely, but my blades are good!), but they break things that are more expencive, I will be going back to the wooden blades. I started on the Blade CP, learned to hover, hop, turn, ect. THEN went to the AXE-EZ. I like the CP much better. More control, and the AXE-EZ is too small. As far as hovering, I have found that if you just go for the gusto, and get that mother off the ground a good 4-5 feet, things are more stable, easier to control, and in my opinion, you have more time to try and save a crash. I went all out today and got about 40 feet off the ground, flew it around for a good 5 minutes, then had a brain fart and sent her straight to the ground. The Blades are money pits, as I am sure all RC Helis are for us noobs. Good luck in the future!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 PM
atcspaul

whats the ticker for eflight. i may have to get some shares also with the amount of money i put into these things
Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

Autorotate is not for me, I'd rather put the money on mainetance re-placement parts. E-flite did all they could on parts I guess; cause, even if they put high quality parts on their heli's, peeps would probabaly still crash them and have to spend much more to get it back flying and be looking for cheaper products.

Although some say heli crashed because of cheap parts; that may be very true, I also think that percentage is low. Making semi-cheap products like E-flite has, I believe is the right thing, they probably had a feeling many crashes were coming their way. The CPP kit should only be purchased if the heli can be flown with experience, not crossed fingers.

I have roughly 35 flights and 80 landings on my CPP and have yet to put a single penny into it, still has the stock skid. My LHS dude said super skids are only good to break the heli frame, cheaper to make soft landings. Here's a video of my heli hovering, notice shortly after 2nd liftoff heli has a quik glitch. I wonder if thats the 3-1 or the mainmotor going out? http://rcuvideos.com/item/YBLY8YQHN31D765T

Pearl
Old 05-16-2007, 02:11 AM
mrasmm

if you listen to it you'll hear a real high pitched squeak right after you take off for the second time (right where it says 41 secs left). My verdict is a bad bushing. You might get by with oiling your motor for a while, but if it is squeaking like that damage has already been done to the bushing and the shaft prolly. Time to get a new motor soon =)

btw looks like you've got a good hover =) Landings on the cement look a little scary like they might tip sometimes, but you do a good job of saving it =)
Old 05-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

Your right mrasmm, arond the 41 sec mark and can see heli twitch and lose a lil alt. The flight before this vid the motor squeaked about 8 times and was lukee to land. The main reason for the tipsey landings was, heli needed to be trimmed. I make tipsey landings like that all the time lol. Now I know the unique sound of a mainmotor going out. I'll go the LHS 1 day and buy both motors.

Thanks for the help mrasmm.

Pearl
Old 05-17-2007, 05:48 PM
stargazerww

hey i have a problem i fly the blade cx great but now im tryin to hover the cp and i get 1 ft off the ground and its all over the place then it suddenly crashes and snapps the tail this is the 4th one in 5 days i sick of braking tails

ive added 3 inches to the skids to get the tail rotor clear of the ground

blades track good

have the plastic semi blades on

chopper is stock

im getting ready to sell and try a trex
Old 05-17-2007, 06:04 PM
blade_killer

stargazerww,
you sound exactly like me.........I gave up on the CP completely, it's too twitchy...mine is in peaces in the box, I refuse to buy anymore parts for it, it's a money pit
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
stargazerww

blade killer.....this should be my name but should be BLADE & BOOM KILLER

every time u land the blades kick around and hit the boom im so tired of it

do u have the trex?
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same reason I didn't go for the on offered to me.
When you think about it the 200 to 250.00 RTF machines are not bad for what they are but the cp pro is very hard to fly.
It's got a bad history of crashes.
Although I have 2 Falcons and a HBK-+ a Humming Bird, I went ahead and ordered the new Honey Bee King with a belt drive and from what I read it's got a bigger frame and stronger landing gear
It's also a $200.00 heli but it's got several improvments over the standard HBK.
I hope to have it WED.
Vegas/
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
blade_killer

Whirley Bird,
let us know how it fares. I am now concidering a HoneyBee FP.....the guys on the other forum seem to stand by them as a lot easier to fly then the CP and since I dont care about 3D, it might be right for me, it's also less then $100, right in my price range.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 PM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: Pearl_414

Your right mrasmm, arond the 41 sec mark and can see heli twitch and lose a lil alt. The flight before this vid the motor squeaked about 8 times and was lukee to land. The main reason for the tipsey landings was, heli needed to be trimmed. I make tipsey landings like that all the time lol. Now I know the unique sound of a mainmotor going out. I'll go the LHS 1 day and buy both motors.

Thanks for the help mrasmm.

Pearl
yeah, no problemo =) good luck!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:16 AM
bilboa

ORIGINAL: blade_killer

Whirley Bird,
let us know how it fares. I am now concidering a HoneyBee FP.....the guys on the other forum seem to stand by them as a lot easier to fly then the CP and since I dont care about 3D, it might be right for me, it's also less then $100, right in my price range.
I would say the Honey Bee FP is harder to fly than a Blade CP, because it's quite a bit less stable. However I believe that for some people this is more than offset by the fact that the HBFP and similar helis tolerate minor crashes much better than CP machines, due to the simpler head and plastic blades and lower head speed. Many minor crashes won't result in any damage to an FP; just pick it up and keep on flying. It's a rare crash with a CP machine that doesn't at least bend the feathering shaft, and often you'll end up with broken blades and a bent main shaft as well. So overall the HBFP will be easier to learn on for some people, even though it's harder to fly.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Pearl_414
Banned

Hi blade_killer and stargazerww, sorry to hear about the CPP not being friendly for ya. The CPP is not like the CX2. The CX2 you can bounce it all day on a concrete floor and it not break. The CPP is the total opposite, you have 2 options after liftoff, either land safely or crash, it is not a great bouncer. I saw videos of the Trex in flight and looks many times easier to fly then the CPP. For people that are unaware, the CPP happens to be 1 of the, if not the hardest rc heli to fly in the world, gas or electric. As for those famous CPP tailrotor strikes, here is an image of my cure for those strikes. It's a simple piece of tubeing from an ink pin and I would never make a flight without it, ever!!!! During my 1st flight I had 2 tailrotor strikes, after I did this mod and 80 landing later, I have never had another tailrotor strike, not a single 1. Enjoy and share the wealth.

Corey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13315.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	688167  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:13 PM
atcspaul

what is cutting the boom in half and breaking it is the plastic blades. i tried them and witnessed it twice and was also advised by my lhs that that was one of the draw backs with the plastic blades and found out the hard way. that graphite looks awesome pearl.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:20 PM
stargazerww

i have the plastic blades on and the break is right where the blade is when folded..... would hit the boom

i think because when the blades are folded they drop farther down and hit the boom where as when extended in the flying configuration they would not hit

im thinking of putting a horizontal wing in that place so the blades would deflect off the wing????? hopefully in therory!!!!!

i did extend the front landing struts so the rear prop would not even touch the ground unless i bounced

should i tighten the blade grips so it is harder to fold??
Old 05-20-2007, 07:33 PM
stargazerww

here is the pic of my chopper ive now put the woodies on with the extension of the landing skids

i forgot to put the rear boom support near the rear blade
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45920.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	688280  
Old 05-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Pearl_414
Banned

Thanks paul,

I also have the carbon mainrotors also, wanna acquire more flight time before leaving them on. I flew with them twice and didn't really notice a big difference between them and the stock wood'n blades. They are nice feather light carbon blades at the least. Kewl pic Starg.

Pearl
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
geoffrs

Hi,

It sounds like the Blade CPP is one of the hardest heli's to fly. How does it compare to the regular Blade CP? I currently have a Blade CX2 and want to upgrade to the CP. Sure, I'd love a T-rex, but I don't have the $1000-1500 cash yet. I am fairly new to R/C heli's and love my Blade CX2. But it's more of an indoor bird. I want something I can fly outside.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM
atcspaul

ORIGINAL: geoffrs

Hi,

It sounds like the Blade CPP is one of the hardest heli's to fly. How does it compare to the regular Blade CP? I currently have a Blade CX2 and want to upgrade to the CP. Sure, I'd love a T-rex, but I don't have the $1000-1500 cash yet. I am fairly new to R/C heli's and love my Blade CX2. But it's more of an indoor bird. I want something I can fly outside.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
be ready for a big diference. i mean really big. movements on control are very minimil. its a hard plane to fly. however a big challenge and alot of fun. i highly sugest you practice on a symulator if you do not have one go to the store and ask if you can try a demo on the simulator. pretty close to real thing and will give you an idea of the diference of the 2
Old 05-22-2007, 04:39 PM
stargazerww

ORIGINAL: stargazerww

i have the plastic blades on and the break is right where the blade is when folded..... would hit the boom

i think because when the blades are folded they drop farther down and hit the boom where as when extended in the flying configuration they would not hit

im thinking of putting a horizontal wing in that place so the blades would deflect off the wing????? hopefully in therory!!!!!

i did extend the front landing struts so the rear prop would not even touch the ground unless i bounced

should i tighten the blade grips so it is harder to fold??
any suggestions yet??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.