Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

CX2 - Lower Rotor head question... performance? Durability? Both?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 - Lower Rotor head question... performance? Durability? Both?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 PM
rpfaucher1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 - Lower Rotor head question... performance? Durability? Both?

Hello, still quite a noob... did some searching and never really found the answer to my dumb question...

I have the CX2... have replaced the upper rotor head (?) because the plastic one broke (with the blue alum. one)... now, today, for the heck of it I went and bought the blue alum. lower rotor head... the question I have is should I just install this one, although the plastic lower is still not broke (yet)... or do I wait until the plastic one breaks. I guess I am wondering if, other than durability... will replacing the plastic lower with an alum lower improve anything? Performance, etc? Or is it just for durability, therefore I can easily wait until the lower one breaks?

Lastly, I have found some thread where folks talk about replacing the lower head, looks like a pain? Or course the thread I found was the 8 color pages with step by step bring you down to much more than simply replacing the lower rotor head... but from what I can gather so far, looks like about an hours labor?

Thanks folks and my apologies if this is covered elsewhere and I missed it.

Ron F.
---------
Old 09-08-2007, 10:58 PM
FL_PI

Default RE: CX2 - Lower Rotor head question... performance? Durability? Both?

Lastly, I have found some thread where folks talk about replacing the lower head, looks like a pain?
No, (in *my* opinion) it is very straight forward and easy to replace the lower head. If you take your time, it *might* take you all of fifteen minutes to change it out.

Basically all you have to do is remove the upper head (inner shaft), the bearing cup on top of the outer shaft and then slide the lower head unit off after loosening or removing the screws, and then slide the new one on and be sure not to over tighten the screws when you put it back together.....
If you completely remove the screws, just be sure not to drop them unless you have really good eyes!

Good luck!
Ed[8D]
Old 09-09-2007, 12:12 AM
az.dsrt

Yup, go ahead and replace it. I think I paid almost $20 for mine, might as well enjoy the bling factor. Interestingly, I got a bit more bang for the buck as I replaced the plastic bearing holder at the same time with aluminum. The original plastic bearing holder was a bit out of round, made a difference.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33871.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	759424  
Old 09-09-2007, 11:01 AM
rpfaucher1

Hmmm... sounds like I might want to do the same in regards to the "plastic bearing holder"... is that what it is called?

BTW... live in Phoenix as well (az.dsrt)... would you be able to tell me where you bought the "bearing holder"? I checked PV mall... no luck - thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
az.dsrt

I'm surprised Hobby Bench at PV mall didn't have it. Did you try their other store at 19th Ave & Northern? It's been a while since I bought mine, I might have gotten it off ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eflite-E-Flite-B...QQcmdZViewItem

About ten bucks including shipping. Comes with the bearing.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
rpfaucher1

Fantastic! Thanks for the link as well - I appreciate it... reckon I'll order one before I deassemble and replace the lower head. Thanks folks! No I have not tried the 19th ave and Northern... think I'll give them a ring today though and see if they have it in stock before I order same.

Thanks again!