Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

blade cp hover challenge

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

blade cp hover challenge

Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM
cx2cp+

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blade cp hover challenge

motionless hover a'la the pros - do you have a blade cp, cp+ or cp-pro? - are you up to the challenge?

put your videos here - longest time of true motionless hover wins a token prize like a engraved bent spindle shaft or something

no wires, good clean fun - timer in the pic would be nice - no edits - try to do better than me at holding the radio so you can see it

hanging motionless in ground effect is even better than inverted, imo - i'm into scale not 3d, but we all get to decide the winner, so my opinion doesn't matter

if you want to go for hands-off hover, then you are insane but you have my full attention

edge
Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
nitrohog

Default RE: blade cp hover challenge

Now this is something I might be able to do and to top it off I really need another bent spindle shaft . Ill get to practicing and hopefully upload something later, I finally started to figure this youtube thing out. Thanks for the challenge!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM
nitrohog

This is my "rock solid" hover attempt. It has a bell mixer, semi rotors, cf tail rotor, 9CHP, etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VchTjglxfM At least Ill be in first for a little while.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
alfredbmor

Very good hover time and great holding tail.
Congratulations.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
nitrohog

Thanks, I can do it for 18 min but I would get bored. Im just glad that cx2cp+ came up with these contests to get me back in the air. Now get the lead out, post some vids to show me up!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
cx2cp+

oh superb hover! - i was working out how to score these since true motionless hover is nigh impossible - i have come up with 2 measuring methods that seem to work well, for both fixed and moving cameras

one thing that would be nice is some mark to say 'start' and 'end' (like saying 'go' and 'stop') for the particular attempt (allows for multiple attempts in a video)

the first method is the easiest and quickest - i just played the you tube video and follwed the flight, marking a overlay on a plastic sheet of distance from the starting point - then put that distance "box" (to throw some respect to mr radd) in average cp-length measured off the video to get rid of variations in camera distance - so the first test is the size of 'the box' you stay in (compared to the size of the heli on the screen)

for the second method i picked a spot on the screen (like the bright spot on the right side of the tv frame) and did some measuring in mm's from that position to the center of the cp - i suppose one would have to do it for every frame and i didn't take it that far, but that is a possibility for a second score if we have a tight fight with the first method - so the second test would be the distance from a fixed point, averaged over time

i'm thinking the best (and easiest) would be the total distance moved on the screen (as in 'the box') measured in screen cp-lengths, from a given point on the screen (a target or center point mark would be nice too)

i'll work on it some more later - any other ideas?

edge
Old 12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
alfredbmor

I will charge those batteries and practice to post an acceptable video, my Cp Pro is more difficult to mantain a decent hover but it is also very fun.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

I will get in this as soon as I figure out the new glitch issue
Old 12-04-2007, 06:12 PM
nitrohog

Screen movement sounds like the easiest method (for me ) and just for reference I was about 5.5 feet away from my camera. I also was flying the rotors that I wacked on the chair in the hands off hover. Welcome to the competition kevntri, can you tell that it is indoor flying weather in northern illinois.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 PM
cx2cp+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-rFe7VCxAM

my entry, just for kicks cause it went all wrong - a bad wind gust sent the heli into the wire fence - blades busted of course but it also broke the bell linkage off one of the blade grips

total of about 3 seconds of motionless hover

oh well, the price we pay for fun

edge
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
ChaosHeli

cx2cp+ LOL cleaning up some leaves with ur Heli : P
Old 12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
J-MICHAEL

Edge: Good vid....! I like watching everyone's videos. I'am just about the same as yourself with that CPP...I guess I could muster a hover and see if I could do something over 3 seconds...Lol... Last week just put on some Carbon blades on her from the flat plastic. Now she's VERY reactive...Lol... Lost some of my stability with the heavy plastic, but the motor thanks me now for the lighter carbon. To try and compensate, I just went with one more weight set on the flybar (total of two by the paddles, and one inner..), and moved my servo arm in one more (for a total of two in) and it helped a little...Can't wait for the near future to pick up a receiver to bind the DX-7.... Kudos for you trying to do the hover outside. Much more challenging outside. I'll give the trophy to anyone with a nose in hover...Lol... I don't have the appropriate body gear to try it yet. Maybe hockey gear ? The vids look good guys, your all winners...Keep them coming, Jeff
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 PM
nitrohog

Good try edge, If you get a nice day I will be in for some competition. I would try it outside, but I don't feel like flyin out of snow and 25°F weather. As for Jeffs challenge I would fly nose in but don't feel like hitting my TV, how bout side in? Keep the vids and the challenges coming, this was a great idea.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 AM
cx2cp+

i had to search for this thread - if need be just post another one - i wish we could make it a sticky

edge
Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
nitrohog

All we really need is people to participate, we have two vids in 3 days. I was truely hoping that this would take off better than it did. So that being said Come on people, post you vids , I know that there are better pilots than me on here I haven't even tried a loop yet.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:14 PM
alfredbmor

Yes I know, I have been busy training with my CP Pro to post a decent video
Old 12-07-2007, 09:25 PM
healthyfatboy

Wow, I haven't flown my CP in about 5 months now but this sounds interesting. I'll try and get a video up soon! I haven't done heli's for a while since I've been into the making videos from my plane recently but this has me interested. I have yet to even learn side hovering but I was decent at a regular hover at one point. Give me a day or two.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 PM
knucklesdragon

Well This looks like fun. I happen to have my training gear on because I have been practicing nose-in hovers. I think the training gear will help for this challenge as it adds a little inertia to the movement of this helicopter.
Here is a quick video I shot tonight to enter:
Tail-in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ybTbCtsPU&feature=user

I also tried a couple of nose-in hovers on tape and I submit this short one for your approval
Nose-in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK-7ySZQEiE&feature=user

I wonder if there should be a "nose-in Hover challenge"

I would also like to see a "Land on something strange challenge" I have a couple of old videos of me landing on some end tables and boxes and such... I should dig them up....

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:32 PM
butters149

hey what mods do u have? it looks sooo stable.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
knucklesdragon

Thanks!

Stock except for an 11.1 volt - 1250mAh 8C Li-Po and 8 tooth pinion on my Main Motor. Like I said the training gear being on really smooths things out a bit for a stable hover.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 AM
cx2cp+

my friggin cp tail motor is acting up AGAIN- belt tail in the works now with michael at ushobbysupply - hdx300 conversion stuff is in stock but its getting expensive real fast with needed tail unit, blades, tail servo, gyro, etc

test driving a falcon 3d today - we may have to make a mini / micro heli hover challenge thread too lol

edge
Old 12-10-2007, 05:27 PM
nitrohog

ORIGINAL: knuckle****gon

Thanks!

Stock except for an 11.1 volt - 1250mAh 8C Li-Po and 8 tooth pinion on my Main Motor. Like I said the training gear being on really smooths things out a bit for a stable hover.
If thats the case I need to find my .30 training gear.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:20 PM
nitrohog

It truely is a shame that not more people want to participate in these challenges. Its good practice and fun.