Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Xtreme Boom Tail Motor on CX2

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Xtreme Boom Tail Motor on CX2

Old 12-26-2007, 11:40 PM
eat2muchrice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme Boom Tail Motor on CX2

I'm working on my new project and need some input for you guys.

I've installed a mini motor onto my xtreme boom tail rotor and can't figure out how to rig the power supply. I was hoping wire it to the reciever box so I can adjust it on/off with my 5th channel on the controller, but I can't seem to figure it out. When I tested it on the reciever it only gets a constant on when the battery is plugged in. My other Idea is to rig it up the one of the main motor power lines, that way it will only turn on when I throttle up.

I need some ideas and can someone tell me how to properly wire up something to a receiver so that I can use the 5th channel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32894.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	834763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21013.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	834764  
Old 12-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Da Man1

Default RE: Xtreme Boom Tail Motor on CX2

TAKE INFO AT OWN RISK

hey,

Hey i have no clue but i know a few things.
Well on the blade cx2 you have 2 sets of blade. They spin oppisite of each other. When you want the nose to go left 1 set of blades slow down and it turns. Same with the other direction but the other set of blades slow down. Well, what if you took the proportional mix clockwise or counter clockwise and hooked up the tail rotor to the set of blades that is spinning slower. I dont know how you do that. That in theory should make the tail rotor spin and compinsate for the slower blade spin on the set of blades. I know that each set of blades is set up to a seperate motor and if you conected it somehow to that mabye you could have power. Im guessing on that. Well then if you want to turn the nose to the right you would just in theory put the throttle stick to the right and the tail should either slow down or speed up depending on what set of blades you put the tail rotor to.

Well idk how much that helped you. You may want to consult your LHS for more info on this. I would also ask some major heckidocter people for more info.

Sorry if i am completly wrong. Im just a teen who is a newb and is new to heli's so plz feel free not to take my advise.

P.S. i am not responsible to any damage to your house, family or heli due to the info i have givin.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM
eat2muchrice

I'm sorry I should of told you guys that its all just for looks. I just want the tail to spin. I hate flying my helicopter around with a "limp/dead" tail, it gives it the look that something is broken. I don't think that this little motor will have any affect on its flying capabilities. I hope it doesn't. I've plugged it in straight to my battery and it doesn't produce that much wind so I think it's alright. I might have to retrim a little at worst.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
stersman

The receiver has a 5 volt source on the 5th channel. Assuming the motor does not draw that much current and can handle 5 volts it could be easy to hook up. The caution would be to not draw to much current from the reciever or you could damge it. If the little motor is close to the size of a servo motor you might be fine. However adjusting with the 5th channel dial will not be easy without a controller. The third wire for the signal on servos is a pulsed control signal not a voltage varying signal so in order to control a device you need a circuit board that can interpret the signal.

-Jamie
BoomTownHobbies
Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM
eat2muchrice

Thanks for clearing things up.
So If I want it to run off the reciever I need a controller unit of some sort.
I've also been thinking If I wire it up straight to a main motor I should maybe use a resister, so that It doesn't have too much of a power drain. What size resister would I use?

Da Man1, I was thinking about what you said and I don't really think it matters what motor or set of blades I wire it up to. Like what you said "they spin oppisite of each other" so if I run a tail rotor it will always be fighting one direction or the other. Both sets of blades should be close to equal in power, but from what I've read one motor does get more wear then the other, So I do need to figure out which motor has more stress and wire my tail up the the other. Thanks for creating the thought .
Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM
stersman

I would not wire it off a motor. Here is a thought. You can buy a set of easy lights which are controlled by the 5 channel and then see if you can tap the motor into the led circuit. Hmmm. Then you could turn it on and off plus you get a pair of neat spot lights. The easy lights are under $20 shipped. You would just have to make sure that the motor does not draw enough current to destory the circuit board of the easy lights.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
eat2muchrice

Yes , That was what I originally intended to do... somehow it got lost in my mind and I drifted off else where. If I got a lighting system then I can run it off its resisters and control unit. I was planning of getting the V2 system from. http://tjtrc.com/Liglow.htm
Thanks for clearing my head. I'm going to place my order now
In the meen time I'll just plug them into my motors just for fun.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 PM
eat2muchrice

Well, I hooked it up to my upper rotor motor and it seems to work great. Two down sides to this little motor 1. after a full 10 min flight it gets pretty hot. 2. I had to adjust my controller trim by about 1/4 right. Over all you do loose very little amount of performace and power, but it looks great having a spinning tail rotor [8D]. I'm going to install some resisters and that should reduce power drain and the heat. My goal is to give the little motor only enough power for it to have a nice spin.

Heres a test video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lu8wUgVOoTk
Old 12-27-2007, 05:41 PM
eat2muchrice

Here are some closer up pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35350.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	835133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78214.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	835134  
Old 12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
eat2muchrice

OPPPS! I blew out the tiny motor [:@]. Well that was fun while it lasted got 2 1/2 fights in before the little thing gave out. I really need to install some resisters on my next one, or just hook it up to some lights.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 AM
abp689

Too bad, I was just thinking I should do the same thing.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:38 AM
stump3r

Running off the lights would be an option. If you had the V2 kit you could remove the large landing light and rig up the little tail motor via channel 5 on the tx. Would be a great little mod.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 PM
eat2muchrice

After giving it more thought last night I've decided to keep it wired up to the main motor. I need to order/find a new little motor and figure out what size/type of resisters to use/get. I've came to the conclusion that it (tail motor) needs to beable to shut off instantly before a crash. If I were to wire it up on the 5th channel off of some lights, then I would have to quickly try and turn the nob channel off when I crash. I also like the idea of not having an extra step to do everytime I fly. I think it would work out great if I can just figure out the right resister.

I don't know anything about resisters and where to start. Can someone fill me in with some detail and point me in the right direction to start testing?

Stersman - Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:53 PM
goldslinger

Just use a resistor; motors are AMP hungry and will take it all like an LED, unless You resistor it.

Heat up tail rotor with blow dryer and take all the pitch out of it, and that'll decrease the load. That's what I did to mine.

Simply two wire it to the batt. or channel 5. It will come on all the time unless You buy one of these:

http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/onboardacc/ners/

You don't need a whole light kit, when this tiny, light circuit that hooks up in 3 seconds will let You turn it on and off on channel 5. You can use it for anything.

If You need more motors, I have bags of them. Brand new, used for pager vibrators. They are as small or smaller.

I also have some small enough to lose under Your thumbnail. You can't have those; they are $50.00 a piece and are the smallest You can buy anywhere.

I use motors in My solar robotics.

Gary
Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM
eat2muchrice

Gold, What sizes resistor should I start out with?

I'm also having problems finding new tiny motors, I'm looking for the ones that they use in the Havoc/picoo-z tail motors but no one seems to sell them alone anymore. Would you happen to have that exact size (about 4mmx12mm)? I don't want to redrill my tail.

So pager motors hmmm. I'm going to do a search.

THANKS!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:50 PM
goldslinger

Eat. . .

I have some that shockingly fit perfectly; I couldn't believe it. It was like the boom was made for them! The spindle bushing pokes through the opening perfectly as well.

I'll see how many I have of that size. I got those off of Solorbotics.com or You can get them off of pagermotors.com, or I can give one up. The one I have bags full are a bit larger.

On the resistor and set up. I would definately NOT run them off of a motor as it will rob it of power and You will have to compensate; I guess it won't hurt anything, but You don't have to; just cut the wire loop in half of the bind plug that I know You have; move the positive wire over next to the neg. plug in to 6th channel and there You go. Instant power source. (constant)

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS go switcheable off the 5th channel and buy the EMRR that I linked to. I would do that, then it would be proportional and You can adjust the knob to get the speed You need to an extent, I think that part is more so for servos though, You may STILL need a resistor.

It is also good for lights.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 PM
eat2muchrice

Thanks for that offer Goldslinger. I think I finally found some at http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1203.html and placed my order. I was going to order from solorbotics.com but they are in Canada and shipping was outragous.

I really would like to run off my main motors cause.
I've came to the conclusion that it (tail motor) needs to be-able to shut off instantly before a crash. If I were to wire it up on the 5th channel off of some lights, then I would have to quickly try and turn the nob channel off when after I had already crashed. I also like the idea of not having an extra step to do everytime I fly.
I don't mind the slight loss of power, running without any resistance I only retrimmed about 1/4 on my controller. With the right resistor I hoping maybe at 1/8.

I still don't know anything about resistors. I only want to allow about .1-.5 volts through, what would that equal in a resistor? Can anyone help me out?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 PM
eat2muchrice

Goldslinger. I just thought of something. Since I have to wait around a week for my little pager motors to come in, you just might finish up another one of my "half-*****ed, half-completed" projects .
Maybe I'll reinstall my CF Shaft while I wait for the motors to come in.

Also what size motor did you find? I had to drill out my boom.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 PM
goldslinger

Here is the best place for them. I think I mentioned it above.

http://www.pagermotors.com/Products....category=Pager

Now the 4mm they say are longer than 12mm, but they are measuring the shaft too; it and the surrounding collar slips through the opening perfectly and You can shut the tail assembly completely; locking it in tight. You may need to shave or grind .5mm from the inside for the length of the can as it is a smidge over 12mm.

They are available without the weights; which is what You want because You risk bending the shaft trying to remove the eccentrics trying to save a little money.

Gary
Old 12-29-2007, 01:57 AM
eat2muchrice

[:@] I should of ordered those motors. So much cheaper. I looked at them but I wasn't sure if they would fit nicely cause they have flat surfaces. [:@][:@] So much cheaper [:@] And they are in the US.[:@] o well, next time.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 PM
eat2muchrice

I can't remember if I every followed up on this but the new tail motor works GREAT! with the right resistor there is NO affect on performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClCsl6X5qxM