Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

are these blades any good for cp pro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM
evdreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

JPEE,

That is the helicopter I plan on getting at the beginning of next week.

Nick
Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 PM
RichD1965

I was reading the issue you were having with your tail boom on your CPP. I being not very good at flying , i was going through alot of tail booms. I found something to fix that problem. A Titanium alloy tail boom that fits perfect on the Blade. Only trouble i had with it was being so slick the glue bond would break easily on crashes. Here is the link if your interested

http://www.super-skids.com/superboom.htm

Rich
Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 PM
evdreamer

Rich,

Thanks for the info. I might try that someday. I am still unsure what caused the crash. It might be that the motor quit on me or the boom snapping. But for right now I am going to stick with my belt driven helicopters. I think it might be hard to get the remaining part of the boom out of my frame to try that titanium one.

Nick
Old 09-27-2008, 12:29 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Now you're talkin' !! LOL!!

You would love a Gaui 200, I just know you would...so for a refresher on my experience, if it helps you decide...

Yep, in most minor crashes, you will bend but not break the blade grip screws. Easy fix, very cheap. The stock plastic main blades are very, very tough, and hard to break.

The see-saw mixer arms are very fragile, and bend easily in a crash....but there are alternatives out there, from Microheli, and a guy on HF makes his own, that are supposed to be much stronger than stock. I have also learned that you can get the plastic ones for the EP100 and they cost alot less.

The last couple of light crashes I had, I was able to bend them back with no problem.

I had no problems with my stock tail box, but I took the precaution of glueing (with CA) the bearings into the side cases. This seems to help make it last, from what I have read.

As you probably know, they make the belt version, and the SD (shaft drive). Now that the crown gears are available, the shaft is not such a bad thing....but I know you like belts, and I have had zero issues with my belt on mine, even with a few boomstrikes.

Let me send this, and I'll follow up..

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

Here are the Microheli arms...supposed to be pretty tough, and are cheaper than the stock Gaui ones.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=8134

The guy that makes his own on HF gets about $24 plus shipping from England for his, but I understand that they are extremely durable and last very well.

Of course, if you just avoid crashing in the first place, the see saws won't get bent!

I only changed out my stock tailbox because I thought the Microheli tail had some advantages, not because of any issue with the stock tail...except that it feels like the plastic pitch arm will break off when you install or remove the ball link.

I can tell you that right out of the box, the Gaui just FEELS like it wants to flip and do 3D !! More than enough power, for sure, even with 2 cell, 7.4 volt packs...and some people run 3S packs!

So, you checked that order now box yet?? LOL

I also highly recommend Readyheli, they got my order 100% correct (and it was a BIG order) the first time, and shipping was very quick. Great place to buy from.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 12:37 AM
J-MICHAEL

Glenn ~

I would hate to rush you.......BUT..... I think it would be a REALLY good time for that Gaui video....LOL..!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 AM
J-MICHAEL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_H0-9UQzmc It sounds like it has a V8 in that sucker !
Old 09-27-2008, 12:47 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

From my last crash with the CPP I would need to replace the frame, because the boom isn't coming out with the spot it snapped from. And I earned enough from my last paycheck to pay for the Gaui and I already have servos, receiver, gyro, and batteries so it won't cost too much to get it flight ready. From what I was reading on other forums the Gaui 200 is by far the best helicopter in its class.

I saw the mixer arms from Micro Heli, but didn't know if they were better. But from what you said it sounds like a good part. I remember you talking about the tail box before, but I could remember what the problem was.

It would be interesting to see what the difference in flight is with the shaft drive, but I like the crash survivablity of the belt drive. I am planning on placing the order on Monday, since it won't really matter if I did it on the weekend.

Thanks for the info again.

Nick
Old 09-27-2008, 12:50 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

The blade grip screws are dirt cheap, but they were scarce there for a while, so I bought a bunch while I could. They are .99 for a bag of 10. I think they are available now with no problems.

Some guys were using hardened screws, but I think that's a bad idea, I would rather have the soft Gaui screws bend than something else in the head.

When I ordered crash parts along with the heli, I think I went overboard. I have not bent a blade grip yet, nor any tail blades. Not any flybars either. I really have not had a bad crash with the Gaui, rather a few minor ones. One thing that seems to be suseptible is the tailboom. For some reason, if the heli even lightly goes in....the usual result at least in my experience, has been a boomstrike.

I used to think that it was a pain to replace, but the last one I did in like 15 minutes. I think the reason was that before, I was doing the Microheli tail at the same time, so it took alot longer.

I'll tell ya, I am really impressed with the improvment on my CPP with the GWS motor and what not....but it is in no way anywhere near as nice flying as the Gaui is.

Rob seemed pretty impressed in the short time he flew mine....with a comment along the lines of "it's not a T-Rex 450, but it definately flies well"

Let me know if you need any other questions answered that I might be able to help with....I'll be glad to do my best.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 01:03 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

No problem...glad I could help.

I can't wait until you get it...and it's not even my heli....LOL!

On another note...I am pretty seriously considering a new SIM....the Phoenix sim. I have heard alot of good things about it on HF...and finally got around to downloading the demo for it. The demo is extremely impressive, the graphics are out of this world.

Most of the more experienced guys say that they think that the physics are better on Phoenix also.

One of the pluses is that you use your own TX...which is a good thing. It can be done with G4, but it was a real pain to do when I tried it.

Another bonus is that it has a (supposedly) very realistic B400 model, along with most every T-Rex also.

And the upgrades and new models, fields, etc are all free downloads once you buy the sim.

Also, you can go online, and fly with other people, or just watch them fly online. Sounds pretty cool!

I think I will order it tomorrow. You can only get it from the manufacturer, which is in England, but most people say the shipping is only 4 days to the states.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 01:06 AM
rotarydoc

Jeff....

It's going to be YOUR turn soon, you know....LOL!!!

How about a B400 and a Gaui 200 instead of the T-Rex 500??? Hmmmmmm???

LOL, October 3rd is fast approaching....

Decisions, decisions...you'll probably change your mind 5 times before the weekend is over....LOL!

Hope the weather cools down for ya soon.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 01:11 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

Thanks for telling about the parts that might get damaged in a crash. Yeah with the stuff I did to my CPP made it fly good, but nothing like a belt driven helicopter either.

I have also heard that the Phoenix sim is very realistic for helicopters. It would be cool to hear your experience with the sim.

Nick
Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 AM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: rotarydoc

Jeff....

It's going to be YOUR turn soon, you know....LOL!!!

How about a B400 and a Gaui 200 instead of the T-Rex 500??? Hmmmmmm???

LOL, October 3rd is fast approaching....

Decisions, decisions...you'll probably change your mind 5 times before the weekend is over....LOL!

Hope the weather cools down for ya soon.

Glenn

Glenn ~

Honestly..... For the past three hours I've been watching video's on You-Tube of the Gaui 200 and the Trex 500 CF/GF...! I feel sick, because I'am so overwhelmed.... The Gaui is just sick, period !! I love it... There's no doubt... And if I ever got one, it would be the belt version as I hear there easier to fix and replace in a crash. But, I'am not as advanced as you and Nick so I'am unsure of the stability because I'am still learning with the Trex and its more stable I would believe, and I still have issues ! so I keep scratching my head.....

Back to You-Tube.........................

~ Jeff
Old 09-27-2008, 02:30 AM
rotarydoc

Nick,

The only other thing I can add is that some of the guys on HF have reported some quality control issues popping up with the Gaui 200.

Mine was fine, the only issue I had at all was a couple of loose screws on the main frame.

Seems some of the guys had issues with motors, and some poor machining of parts.

But most, I think, are pretty happy with theirs.

My experience has been very good overall.

So I think you will be fine.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 AM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I just placed an order for the Gaui 200 SD!

Nick
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 PM
JPEE

Hey Glenn,

Are you still on piece work? I mean I are you still getting that 30% kick back from the Heli companies for everyone you recommend for a a new Heli? I remember so well when you got me to buy my Quark.............................LMAO.

Sorry Glenn this was to much not to roob you a bit!

I am checking the pP Box this morning after work and HOPE my Quark has come back.

Made some adjustments for fun the CX2 and took it flying yesterday with 402 and the T-28. Got that little SOB to fly and haul and w/o blade clack! No flying until possibly Tuesday, got some jobs on the sheet and that means as we both know Heli $$$$$$$. Let me know when you start the Forester, I am interested in the shape of the heads and the carbon if any, and the head gaskets and why they failed.

Smiles JPee

CONGRATS NICK, did you get the gear driven or belt version?
Old 09-27-2008, 12:17 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Glenn,

I just placed an order for the Gaui 200 SD!

Nick
Congrats Nick on your shaft-driven Gaui...! I know you must have done massive research, knowing you.... So what made you go for the SD version ? The reason I ask, is I've only done a limited amount of research on it so far....

I also expect LOTS of pics, and a video or two & what you think of it when you spool it up... And what you think someone with my ability would be able to handle it in a satisfactory way, since you pretty much know my skill level... I wouldn't expect to be flying it all around, as you know where I'am at with the Trex, but if I could match what I can do with the Trex, I may be interested.... I may even wait 1 more week in deciding on a new purchase also...

Take care,

~ Jeff
Old 09-27-2008, 12:34 PM
evdreamer

JPEE,

I got the shaft driven version.

Jeff,

I liked not having to mess with belt tension, so that is why I got the shaft version and supposedly it is more effiecent. I was doing a preflight check on the T-Rex and I noticed the belt was loosening up and started to shred part of it on the side. So I am going to need to replace it in the next couple of days. Luckily I have a few spare belts from the Belt CP that work just fine. I really want to try the torque tube that Align is working on for the T-Rex 450.

I was thinking about getting some video of the Gaui when I was purchasing it. I just want to do some test flights right off the bat to get a feel of the helicopter. Since people say it is really responsive I don't want to jump right into something and not be able to control it. I will tell you how it flies compared to the T-Rex 450, so that should give you a good idea of the flight characteristics. Good luck waiting another week for a new helicopter.

Nick
Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM
evdreamer

I just found out the Gaui 200 just shipped out. So hopefully I can get it by Tuesday-Wednesday or earlier.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:37 PM
rotarydoc

Nick,

That is AWESOME!!! I think you'll be fine with the shaft, the main issue people were having is blowing up the crown gear when they had a tailblade strike. I know with your flying ability, that will be a rare occurence. But, I have heard that it only takes a little touch on the ground...I guess you'll find out soon enough.

Hey, if worse comes to worst, you can always swap it over to belt drive, just as I would be able to swap over to a shaft drive for about $55 or so.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order it from? And did you order any spare parts with it?

No flying today, but I did get a video camera!! Well, it's not a REAL video camera, but I thought it would be ideal for the helmet cam...it's called a Flip Video, and it's pretty cool so far. I think it will do OK for the helmet cam usage.

I'll post a pic of it later on. I went to Home Depot to see about a hardhat, but they were out of white ones with the ratchet, which is what I want, so I'll have to go to Harbor Freight tomorrow.

My pal from Iraq is coming by tomorrow, hopefully the weather is better than today. It rained on and off all day today.

I also got the tripod today, to mount the camera. Maybe I can get some video done tomorrow, but it might be hectic with my pal being here, showing me how to fly...LOL

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
rotarydoc

Hey guys,

Well, I just ordered my Phoenix flight sim....I think I'm gonna love it. From the demo to the high praise it gets on HF forums, I don't think I can go wrong. Sure, I still like G4...I just want to try something a bit different...and it's going to be a long, cold winter.....so I can't hardly go wrong with another sim!!

Nick, now we both have something cool coming in the mail soon! But I think yours is cooler. I was in heaven when I first got my Gaui, I am sure you will love yours too.

Jeff, yeah, this will give you some more input...if I get some vids posted, and you get Nick's feedback, it will help you make a decision (YEA, RIGHT!! LOL).

JPEE, yeah, I'm gonna collect my comission on Nick's Gaui at the end of the month...as soon as I find out where he ordered it from...LOL! The Forester is going to be a project. I am thinking I'll be starting next weekend, but I'm not 100% yet. I order the $900 worth of head gaskets and such on Monday. I expect the heads to be in good shape, and am hoping to get away with lapping the valve seats and faces, and installing new valve seals. Probably will have to get the heads planed flat as well. Hopefully no full valve job. I already know what happened to the gaskets, they are a composite design, and over time the acidic qualities of the coolant slowly eats them away. The new gaskets are multi-layered steel shim gaskets, a new design not prone to that kind of damage.

Here's a look at the Flip Video. Hey, it was cheap, I took the 2GB of memory for the digital camera back, and it was on sale...so I spent about $100....I can justify it as a legit training aid...to study when I crash...to see what went wrong...LOL

Hope you guys have better weather than I am...

Glenn

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41464.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1042032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58765.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1042033  
Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
J-MICHAEL

Glenn ~

What do ya bet that Nick's over at HF scoping out the Gaui forums right know ?! I heard that just a brush up with some grass will damage the shaft version, but who knows for sure..... Nick's a master at fixing and modding stuff so I'am not going to worry about it. I love your new cam ! I wonder how much that gizmo weighs ? I'am thinking maybe some aerial footage with the 400 perhaps ?! It might work er a bit, but wouldn't that be cool ?!

Have a good one,

~ Jeff
Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 PM
evdreamer

Glenn,

I got the Gaui from Helidirect. I got four crown gears, the MicroHeli mixing arms and a swashplate leveling tool. I would have gotten it from Readyheli, but they didn't have the MicroHeli mixing arms.

Cool to hear you got a video camera. It kind of looks like one I sell at work.

Hope the weather is better tomorrow for you, so you can fly with your friend.

Cool to hear you got the Phoenix sim. Let us all know how it is compared to G4.

I didn't get to fly today either. I just don't feel like flying on days I work.

Jeff,

I had to work this evening. Most of the time when I don't work I will be on RCU.

Nick
Old 09-27-2008, 11:03 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Jeff,

Hey, who's that guy that you said to contact when RCU is VERY SLOOOWWW??? Because it's doing it again...maybe needs a server reset?

Nah, Nick is at work, I do believe, seems like he works most Saturday and Sunday evenings...he should be around in about an hour or so....

I have also heard that the crown gear is extremely easy to break, just a blade of grass will do it...well, maybe not that fragile....but they were really hard to get gears for when I bought mine, so I avoided the shaft drive. I think if you can get the gears, it's not such a big deal.

Thanks on the cam...I am hoping it will do the job. I'm just not sure how well it will work at a distance. But it's probably at least as good as my digital still camera would have been.

The Flip cam weighs in at 142 grams....and my Sony still digital cam weighs 155 grams...so it's a tad lighter...maybe some day it'll be airborne taking vids!!

I like it because it's so simple. The 2GB memory is stored in the camera (not expandable), and it takes AA batteries, and all of the video transfer, editing, and other software is IN the camera. So when you hook it up to the PC, the program starts and you can delete, save, edit, etc, all built into the camera.

I have not uploaded anything to You Tube yet, I need to take a video of the cat or something and try to upload it and see how it works. Supposed to be a piece of cake for You Tube uploads, I think the format is AVI.

Glenn
Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
evdreamer

Yeah RCU is really slow for me too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.