Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

CX2 trim issue

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 AM
brettj777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CX2 trim issue

I have been trying to trim out my CX2 for a week now. I bought it roughly a month ago...and in my noob exhuberance crashed it a couple times. So since tehn I have replaced the flybar, and outer rotor shaft.

I have the proportional mixer set all the way to the one side and i still cannot get teh tail to stop swinging. Nose-right yaw (nose swings to the right) (Yes I have tried settign teh Pot mix all the way the other way....it swings even faster!)

At one point, pre-crash, it was trimmed out pretty good (so I know it's possible). I have tried to adjust the lash in the gears using a piece of paper. I have checked my swashplate, I have made sure all the linkages move freely. And like I said had it all apart adn replaced the outer rotor shaft and gear, and the inner shaft gear only, along with the flybar.

Could it be an issue with the bearings? could a motor be failing to keep up in sync with it's mate, so much so that the Pot Mixer can't counteract for it? I'd take it to my local hobby shop, but the owner (while prolly a brilliant man) makes me feel like an idiot everytime I need a part - like I just kicked someones dog, or I'm stupid for not being abel to fly (not crash) a simple CX2. He honestly said to me that last tiem I was in needing an "outer rotor shaft for a CX2" that "He wishes customers would come in with Part numbers..." PART NUMBERS????? the dudes CX2 parts are all in a Rubbermaid bin!!!!! His biggest issue is remembering where the bin was put last! Anyway, that part of off topic.....but I could really use some suggestions as to what to look at to resolve this issue. I really wanna fly, but get so frustrated when I can't trim it out correctly.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM
soloboss

Default RE: CX2 trim issue

At one time there were a bunch of us on this Efight forum flying CX's and CX2's. We figured we were kings of the hill because we could hover and move around indoors without crashing. But, as guys will do, we went for more performance. And that of course led to crashes and frustration and a lot of "It flew fine before the crash! How do I get it back to where I was?" And we all were pushing for more performance out of these hover trainers. I documented my setup method so I could repeat it - even when I was too frustrated to think straight.
Anyhow, as we figured out upgrades (there were no upgrade parts back then) the noobies came on-board with noobie questions that had been asked and answered several dozen times. I started pulling paragraphs out of my paper so I could just cut and paste a good answer. Fliers seemed to like it. Now it's posted on a wiki site for everyone to read. It explains how and why these helicopters work as they do. And it goes through setup and why I do it the way I do.

Try this. Do it all. It works.
[link=http://www.heli-wiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/HOWTO_Wiki_Overall_CX_and_CX2_Setup]Solo's CX2 Setup[/link]

Good luck, be patient, and have fun!

Soloboss
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
snobelt

It really sounds like your proportional mixing pot, in spite of the fact that you have tried to trim it out. Usually the pot needs only a tiny bit of trim, like maybe an eighth of a turn. I would go back to the center position and start over. Set the CX on a level and smooth surface. A plastic laminate table works good. You want the heli to be able to slide around the surface before it lifts off. Set your rudder trim (left stick) to center. If the sub-trim (pot) is off, the heli will start to rotate before it lifts. Make very small adjustments following the manual instuctions. You do not need to replace the canopy between adjustments. Just get up enough rotor speed to see which way it wants to rotate.
Other things to look for - you replaced your outer shaft - what about the inner shaft? Are you sure it's still straight? I doubt it is a gear mesh problem and if you replaced the bearings correctly it isn't likely to be them either. Do both rotors turn freely by hand? You should feel only the slight resistance of the motors when you turn the rotors. You may actually have a bad 3-in-1 (or 4-in-1 depending on manufacturing date) controller. You will get lots of good advise from this forum so read all the responses carefully. I have had good luck calling the help line so try that too.
The CX2 is a beginners heli - that does not mean it is crash proof. I have busted mine more than a few times but it does get easier and easier with practice. Eventually it will be too easy and you will want to move up to a full collective bird. Obviously you need to get this problem resolved first so go through it one more time - slowly and carefully.
As far as the LHS guy - well, he is in the process of losing future business. "Damn customers - always interupting my busy day." Find another shop or buy parts on-line. I'm getting stuff from most of the hobby suppliers overnite or two days at most. You know what parts you will need (rotors, front canopy, skids, batteries) it's all pretty predictable, so keep spares on hand. Last - don't give up. This is fun and you will eventually master it and know all the ins and outs.
Good luck with this and lets us know how it works out.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:07 PM
snobelt

Yeah Soloboss, I should have mentioned your site. It's a good one and I have used it often.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:25 PM
brettj777

Thanks for the moral support....it can be frustrating I will try the setup stuff in Solo's wiki tonight and see how it goes.

You are def right, I want a bigger bird sooooo bad! But I really don't wanna crash her, so I learn to learn the ways of the Force first.

Brett
Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
UTM

A silly question but I have seen it several times. In the outer shaft gear there is a little bearing flush with the bottom. That bearing does not come with the new outer shaft/gear. It needs to be moved from the old one to the new one. If you didn't notice this and move it the inner shaft's gear will be ablt to slip up into that void and the gear and pinion will loose contact. Check it out. It may be the issue. Easy way is to grab the inner shaft's gear(the bottom one) and move it up and down. It should really not move much at all. If you can push it up any distance this is your problem.

Good luck

Uri
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 PM
brettj777

I was able to move that bearing with the new shaft, so it's not that, but that is one thign I can see myself forgetting!
Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM
ndoren

Be sure to disconnect and reconnect the battery after every pot adjustment. If you move the pot around while powered up, the heli will not recognize the changes.

Will the heli's tail hold straight if you hold the left stick a little to the left? You can always move the yaw sub-trim lever left to compensate any gradual tail drift right. I guess I'm wondering how much the tail drifts. If it wants to swing wildly to the right, there's more wrong that can be adjusted out with the trim or proportional adjustment.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:30 PM
soloboss

brett,
Definitely center the trim pot first. My adjustments are all assuming that the trim pot has not been messed with so you'll want to work on that situation. My setup is almost entirely mechanical, which is where 90% of the problems come from after a wreck.

Soloboss
Old 07-25-2008, 02:05 AM
eat2muchrice

Tips/Repair/Guides/Mods Links
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7035042
Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
klaze

The CX is defiantly a tricky bird..

Yesterday it was trimmed perfectly today it was wayy off..

I had to adjust the 4-1 from like 3:00 to 1:00 to get it to hover..

It's kind of annoying adjusting it for the first flight every day it burns 1/4 of my pack :P
Old 07-26-2008, 06:46 PM
soloboss

Hey Riceman - That's what I was looking for! I have a shortcut to that page now so I an give a better answer than "See my paper". You have all the good stuff on one list.
Good to see you in here. Where ya been?
Solo