Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 Pitch Servo Issues

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 400 Pitch Servo Issues

Old 08-23-2008, 07:21 PM
kylelord
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blade 400 Pitch Servo Issues

Hello everyone,
I found an issue with my pitch servo last night and am a bit stumped. I am getting an intermittent glitching between center throttle and one line below. I have another pnp blade that is having the same problem. I've been troubleshooting for about 3 hours now and will give you guys everything I've found out and hopefully someone knows what is going on.
1. I've tried different servos and they all have a problem with the elevator channel. They work fine in other channels.
2. I have a T-rex 600 which isn't having this problem with the same transmitter. I don't think it could be something wrong with the throttle stick connections.
3. It only happens between center and 1 line below throttle. It is intermittent and half the time it will work fine.
4. Compared to Normal mode, it happens more in idle up and less with elevator inputs

At times I think it will be okay to fly, and other times when I get the glitch going I can get the servo to jitter back and forth like crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'd really like to safely get back in the air.
Thank you all,
Kyle
Old 08-23-2008, 10:43 PM
rotarydoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade 400 Pitch Servo Issues

Hey Kyle,

Sounds like a tough one. I am thinking that you are actually having servo issues, even though you have tried different ones in the elevator position. I have seen, and read sooo many problems with the stock servos, it's ridiculous. On my own personal Blade 400, I had an elevator servo lose it's centering right off the bat, on the third battery pack.

When you are substituting the servos, are you using the stock Eflite ones? Do you have any other servos you can try?

The stock DS75 servos have issues with the internal sensor that controls it's centering, and it can make them do very strange things....check out this guys issues with the stock servos;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhEqWKnCXpU

It certainly sounds like you have covered all the bases, and it may well turn out to be something else besides the servos themselves, but based on my experience so far, the Eflite servos are nothing but trouble! I have long ago replaced all my cyclic servos with JR DS285's, and have not given the servos a second thought since...

Hope this helps, just my 2 cents...

Glenn
Old 08-24-2008, 12:58 AM
JPEE

Hello Kylelord,

I agree with everything Rotarydoc says and then some. I have two flying 400's and have had some of these issues so let me make some suggestions, most issues were related to the stock servos so those were tossed right up front.

I would think you have two different RX's in your two heli's but if you don't and your swapping you might have a bad receiver rx?

THIS MIGHT GET CONFUSING NOW
If you have two 400's with the different rx's are they bound to the same place (model) in your transmitter? or are they on different channels (models)? If they are both on what we will call model #1 then you might have a corrupted program and you might have to do a new 400 download from Horizon. If you have each heli on its on model #1 and #2 in your transmitter and it has its own receiver then clearly you have a gremlin. Did you copy model #1 from your first 400 to model #2 for your plug-n-play second 400? Software issue?

The last and only thing I can think of is for you to re-bind your heli to your transmitter. For what is worth, I keep and ESC, Motor, Reciever, Hitec Servo on hand just for cases like this where a gremlin is driving you nuts and you need to go through changeout of parts. With those extra parts I can locate the problem child pretty straight away!

Please keep us abreast of your progress and solution.........JPee
Old 08-24-2008, 01:25 AM
ssrc30

ORIGINAL: kylelord

Hello everyone,
I found an issue with my pitch servo last night and am a bit stumped. I am getting an intermittent glitching between center throttle and one line below. I have another pnp blade that is having the same problem. I've been troubleshooting for about 3 hours now and will give you guys everything I've found out and hopefully someone knows what is going on.
1. I've tried different servos and they all have a problem with the elevator channel. They work fine in other channels.
2. I have a T-rex 600 which isn't having this problem with the same transmitter. I don't think it could be something wrong with the throttle stick connections.
3. It only happens between center and 1 line below throttle. It is intermittent and half the time it will work fine.
4. Compared to Normal mode, it happens more in idle up and less with elevator inputs

At times I think it will be okay to fly, and other times when I get the glitch going I can get the servo to jitter back and forth like crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'd really like to safely get back in the air.
Thank you all,
Kyle

Servo problems seem to be an ongoing issue with the B400. My best advice, and actually something that alot of people have done, is to replace the servos. Hitech makes really good servos, and I would recommend getting a set of those to replace the crappy E-Flite servos that came with your heli.

Steve
Old 08-24-2008, 09:39 AM
kylelord

Alright,
Thank you guys so much for your input. Lets see if I can clarify things.
1. When you are substituting the servos, are you using the stock Eflite ones?
My blade PNP has hitec 65s on the cyclic. I have tried both stock servos and the 65s and still get the problem.
2. If you have two 400's with the different rx's are they bound to the same place (model) in your transmitter? or are they on different channels (models)?
They are separate receivers bound to different models on the transmitter. I call my original one BladeCustom and the Pnp Blade 400.
3. If you have each heli on its on model #1 and #2 in your transmitter and it has its own receiver then clearly you have a gremlin. Did you copy model #1 from your first 400 to model #2 for your plug-n-play second 400? Software issue? JPEE I think you may have found something. I certainly did copy the blade 400 programming to the PNP. Now that I think about it, I didn't copy anything over for the T-Rex.
4. then you might have a corrupted program and you might have to do a new 400 download from Horizon. How do I download software from horizon, what kind of adapter do I need? Should I try making another model and manually enter the information and bind that to see where I'm at?

Thank you for the video, it is very helpful even if it isn't the problem I'm having. He has moments where his servo stops entirely. No matter what my servos continue to move. What I'm getting is like a little a pop where I can see the swashplate jerk and then continue through the motion. The throttle works fine above and below about half throttle.

I think while I wait for some repsonses I'm going to manually make up a blade model and see if the problem still occurrs on the throttle.

Kyle
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 AM
evdreamer

Does it look like anything is binding or sticking? Try taking the pushrods off the cyclic servos and see if it does the same thing. Then it wouldn't hurt to list what is programmed in the transmitter for the B400. The Hitec servos need to be reversed compared to the stock programming with the stock E-Flite servos.

Nick
Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
kylelord

Hello everyone,
it seems as if I've fixed the problem. I made up the program from scratch and the glitching is gone. I then copied that program to the other blade model and that one works great too. I haven't been able to go flying yet but I can't wait for this weekend, I'll be at the field most of the time.b Makes me wonder how that could have come through from the factory.
Thanks everyone for all of your help
Kyle
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM
rotarydoc

Kyle,

Glad to hear that you got it nailed down, good work!

I have had my DX6i do some strange things from time to time, so it's not unheard of to have the occasional issue with it.

I was setting up a new heli one time not long ago, and switched the radio off, made some adjustments, and turned the radio back on, and everything was totally haywire. All the setttings were totally messed up from the very last time the radio was on. Never have figured that one out. I had to reset everything back to the way I had it, and it's been fine ever since.

Hope you have a great time flying it this weekend!

Glenn
Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
kylelord

Hey Glenn thanks for the words of encouragement, but I may have spoken too soon.

The problem with an intermittent problem is that it doesn't always happen. I thought the glitch was gone only to find that it is back today. I purchased some ds285s for my first blade and have the Hs-65's in the PNP. I installed the 285s last night and fiddled around with them today. Once I work this problem out I should have a couple of good setups.

Upon searching I managed to find a video that is almost spot on of what is happening to me. The difference is that mine is happening much less often and seems to be confined to the cyclic servos. What caught my attention was he said the glitch would happen just below half throttle. This is exactly what is happening to mine.

The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_mjz...eature=related. I am pleased the have found this video so that others may see exactly whats going on. If the hyperlink doesn't work, the name of the video is Servo Glitches. I'm starting to think I may need to either send my transmitter back to be looked at or purchase a new transmitter entirely. Especially if other people are having this problem.

This is very frustrating as I have way more bench time then flight time, but that's okay because I'll be practicing on the sim until I get this problem solved.
Thanks,
Kyle
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM
rotarydoc

Hey Kyle,

Yeah, I have seen this video before....Seacomms frequents the Helifreak forums, I remember when he was having all the issues with the glitching. If memory serves me correctly, he sent his DX6i back to Horizon, and I do believe that they sent him a new transmitter.

I will say this, in my experience, Horizon's warranty service is excellent. I have had quite a few returns, and they have always taken care of the issue with no questions asked. The turnaround time is about 2 weeks, on average.

If nothing else, at least give them a call, and see what they think you should do. They may ask for a receipt, so hopefully you can provide that for them for any warranty service. I have done that on each occasion, and they have been excellent about replacing defective Eflite stuff. I have returned a bunch of stuff that has failed on me, including a charger, battery, ESC, 12v, 3 amp power supply, and a servo. All were replaced under warranty.

You will love the DS285's, I have never looked back since I installed and setup mine. I did get the MG (metal gear) versions, they seem pretty tough, never had one give me a moment's problem, and I've had a few minor incidents with them.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you make out....

Glenn
Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
kylelord

Hmm,
I'll have to look around and see if I can find that receipt. Either way I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. Are other 2.4 radios compatible with the spectrum receivers? I don't know if I want to go back to the spectrum transmitter... I like the looks of the RDS 8000. I've had a RD6000 for about 8 years that has never given me any trouble.

Thank you so much Glenn I'm glad that I at least it is narrowed down and I'm not just wiggling the sticks hoping it will get better.

Kyle
Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 PM
evdreamer

I am pretty sure the JR 2.4GHz transmitters work with spektrum receivers. But the other companies 2.4GHz transmitters won't work since some use skipping techniques to avoid other people locking into your receiver.

Nick
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
jimmanyk

depending how old/new your spektrum ? radio is there has been a recall. http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1885
ORIGINAL: kylelord

Hello everyone,

Thank you all,
Kyle