Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

DSM2 Transmitter upgrade?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

DSM2 Transmitter upgrade?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM
soloboss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSM2 Transmitter upgrade?

OK, I've rethought my question.

Many have bought a CX2 DSM2. Then upgraded to the b400 with the DX6i. They bind the DX6i to the CX2 and fly it. And they get an MCX BNF and fly that too.

It seems logical that binding is a two way street. If I find a cheap (distressed) CX2 with a DSM2 transmitter, I should be able to convert my CX using the new radio gear from the CX2. And I should be able to get a BNF MCX and fly that with the CX2 transmitter. And I'm guessing that the CX2 transmitter will also bind to an AR6100 for park flyers and the Falcon 40.

I'm not looking to fly like the DX6i - I want to get rid of the few glitches that I get. And when / if I get a DX6i I'll have to drop the cash to upgrade the receivers on the rest of my fleet. I can get ahead of that expense if my plan works. And there always seems to be a market for a used TX from a CX2.

SO, who knows about this stuff? Am I nuts or will this work as a winter project?

following is a quote from another thread.

Data - CX2 Transmitter (LP5DSM) has CCPM Mixing!

The manual only describes the functions of a few of these switches, but the PCB inside has more details:

Code:

1 - HELI/AIR Default "ON"
2 - NORM/CCPM Default "OFF" COOL!
3 - ELE+RUD Default "OFF" (V-tail mixing?)
4 - ELE+AIL Default "OFF" (Elevon mixing?)
5 - THR REVERSE Default "OFF" (Throttle Reverse)
6 - AIL REVERSE Default "ON"
7 - ELE REVERSE Default "ON"
8 - RUD REVERSE Default "OFF"
9 - Gyro/Ger Default "OFF" Maybe "Gyro/Gear" ?
10 - AUX Default "OFF"

I don't know if the board inside the transmitter has been programmed to "honor" the functions of these switches - the transmitter's firmware may be limited. I guess one way to find out is to switch to CCPM mode and plug a servo into channel 6 on the receiver...

Also, taking apart the 4-in-1, the receiver unplugs from the ESC/Mixer/Gyro board, and with a little soldering, could have normal headers for throttle and rudder.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
JPEE

Default RE: DSM2 Transmitter upgrade?

ORIGINAL: soloboss

OK, I've rethought my question.

Many have bought a CX2 DSM2. Then upgraded to the b400 with the DX6i. They bind the DX6i to the CX2 and fly it. And they get an MCX BNF and fly that too.

It seems logical that binding is a two way street. If I find a cheap (distressed) CX2 with a DSM2 transmitter, I should be able to convert my CX using the new radio gear from the CX2. And I should be able to get a BNF MCX and fly that with the CX2 transmitter. And I'm guessing that the CX2 transmitter will also bind to an AR6100 for park flyers and the Falcon 40.

I'm not looking to fly like the DX6i - I want to get rid of the few glitches that I get. And when / if I get a DX6i I'll have to drop the cash to upgrade the receivers on the rest of my fleet. I can get ahead of that expense if my plan works. And there always seems to be a market for a used TX from a CX2.

SO, who knows about this stuff? Am I nuts or will this work as a winter project?

following is a quote from another thread.

Data - CX2 Transmitter (LP5DSM) has CCPM Mixing!

The manual only describes the functions of a few of these switches, but the PCB inside has more details:

Code:

1 - HELI/AIR Default "ON"
2 - NORM/CCPM Default "OFF" COOL!
3 - ELE+RUD Default "OFF" (V-tail mixing?)
4 - ELE+AIL Default "OFF" (Elevon mixing?)
5 - THR REVERSE Default "OFF" (Throttle Reverse)
6 - AIL REVERSE Default "ON"
7 - ELE REVERSE Default "ON"
8 - RUD REVERSE Default "OFF"
9 - Gyro/Ger Default "OFF" Maybe "Gyro/Gear" ?
10 - AUX Default "OFF"

I don't know if the board inside the transmitter has been programmed to "honor" the functions of these switches - the transmitter's firmware may be limited. I guess one way to find out is to switch to CCPM mode and plug a servo into channel 6 on the receiver...

Also, taking apart the 4-in-1, the receiver unplugs from the ESC/Mixer/Gyro board, and with a little soldering, could have normal headers for throttle and rudder.
Hello Solo,

I have done about half of that. I started with the CX2 then the 400 and then the MCX without TX. What I chose to do is fly the 400, CX2 on the DX6i. Then I use the DMS2 to ONLY fly the MCX. You see the alierons, rudder, whatever I dont remember more than hour at time know LOL the MCX id reveresed from the CX2. I thought Id fly the MCX and CX2 with the DSM2 TX but you cant! I hate to pull out my DX6i just to play with MCX so I just dedicated the DSM2 for it.
Now for the 6100 YES you cna use it with the CX2 as that is what came with it. The same RX came in the CX2 and the 400 so your good there. Now the biggie? Can you put the RX 6100 on the CX and have it work, shoulda coulds work I would think. The difference is the 4-1 on a CX and a 3-1 on a CX2. I would imagine the 4-1 would do fine with a 2.4 receing and giving it orders. But "my opinion" a call or email to Horizon might put you to rest one way or the other on the this. I too have looked for old used Cx2's simply for the ar6100e that come in them. That alone is worth $49.00 plus tax! anyother parts on the heli after that are a gift. In checking right now I found that there are (2) receivers for the CX, look here.
http://stores.ebay.com/Hobb-e-Mart_P...2QQlnsZ1QQtZkm

I dont know why this wont work after reading up a little more. But again, call HH and se what they say.

Smiles JPee
Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
J-MICHAEL

Solo ~

Well.... You know what they say..... A day late, a dollar short.... I have an extra CX2 DSM2 that is sitting useless at home just crying for a home. I would have no prob sending it to ya, but the only prob is that ol' Mr. Chopper's already has dibbs on it for his Lama and his MCX that he said he was planning on binding them to it and performing some wild flying with.... If I can just leave this nice weather here in Cali and find my way back home to Washington, he'll be able to receive it as that's where it is resting collecting dust...

But this had me thinking, and since I never had a use for my CX2 TX anymore, and only use my DX-7 for all these toys big and small, I bet there might be others out there that would maybe be willing to help a guy out like yourself, who has helped out many here over a long-course of time... Maybe you'll get blessed by someone who would be willing to do that huh ? Sorry I don't have two, or I would be the first in line to be honored in giving ya one....

Anyhooo good luck with your quest...... BTW..... By the time ya get an MCX there will be a V2 version out...!!...LMAO... I'am still waiting for those cute tinsy fuselages that will fit on one....

~ Jeff
Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
choppersrule

Mark / Soloboss,

Yikes! Sounds like you're whipping up another nightmare or witches brew. The DSM2 TX, is flexible to a point, but still not a programmable TX. On a grand point, the 2.4 gHz technology is awesome and glitch free. There are dip switches to reverse some functions, like servo direction, which would be a Main concern. Depending on what heli or plank your flying. With multiple, different types of helis or planks, you'd have to remember which dip switch is in what position. UP or down, for each. However, I've always known, that you love the challange.. Best to ya, and let us know how things work out for ya.

Dave

Jeff Michael,

I have the dibbs on it. Thanks, for that. I'm always checking on ya, Little Chief! I haven't waxed my blades or did the final mod on the MCX.. I'm the "Slave Boy" for the wife this weekend. LMAO![X(] Honey do's!

Hey, you guys may have seen this on another post. I'm rebuilding my Lama V4 completely.. Always be neat and organized with your dis-assembly, like I do. LMAO At least it's all in on place.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43154.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1073400  
Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
ah64

I have a CX2 DSM radio I bought the CX2 today I have a Dx6i like everyone else does I see....If your interest PM me I have no need for it... I would sleep with my dx6i if I was 100% sure my wife wouldnt roll over on it.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:19 PM
soloboss

ah64 - I missed your offer and J-Michael. I'm at work and I'll get back to you tonight.
Thanks for the offer. I sure didn't mean to ignore you!
solo
Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Evan T.

im sure you probably already know this but you will have to rebind whatever you want to fly each time you go to do it unless you fly it two or more times in a row and you will have to reverse and set the trims also, each time you fly a different model and obviously you will need to get a three in one with an ar6100e rx or just the cx2 4in1 with dsm2