Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade 400 gyro gone crazy!

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 400 gyro gone crazy!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade 400 gyro gone crazy!

Hi guys,
Last time I flew my Blade 400 the gyro wasnt properly functioning, I had the head lock on and although I know the had lock isnt that great it wasnt holding it AT ALL!! so I would compensate for whichever side necessary and ws able to fly ok. Suddenly I completely lost it and crashed. Main shaft was bent, feathershaft bent, stripped 2 servos, new blades of course...
I finished repairing it today and went to test fly it. Something is very wrong with my gyro. The minute I start giving it some throttle the heli start veering (is that right?) off to a side slowly, whilst still on the ground, it is impossible to correct the tail, I try to correct it with my left stick and it either overcompensates, doesnt compensate enoucg or goes completely crazy and starts spinning around... It's not user error, I know how to fly, im no expert but know how to fly. What is it? gyro? Whats the solution? New one? I'd rather re-configure this one if possible... or does all this mean its completely dead and need a new one?
My gyro is set to about 50-55% gain, "std" servo mode and reverse is set to "nor". At the moment I have 2 standard servos and two hitec hs-55, I know its not great to mix up servos but I have planned to get a good set of hs-65 hb servos soon so dont want to spend more money on hs-55's to do nothing with them in a months time. By the way, before the crash I had 1 hs-55 installed, so its not that the gyro wasnt accepting the new servo (dont even know if thats possible but just in case!), I now have 2 hs-55 and 1 standard servo as well as another standard stock servo on the tail. What could be my problem then? What is the gain on the gyro? What should I do!! Thanks guys!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 PM
xyster101

Default RE: Blade 400 gyro gone crazy!

It sounds like your gyro is bad. Mine went bad after about 6 months of having it. I called Horizon and they said to mail it in with a description of the problem. I had a new one in less then a week! Give that a shot.
I would never mix servos on the cyclic! Servos have different movements and throws. Always use the same servos for the cyclic. So upgrade to the Hitec65 or get another 55 for the cyclic.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Nesal

Cyclic is left and right movement correct?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:00 AM
evdreamer

Cyclic is elevator and aileron movements. And collective is positive and negative pitch.

Nick
Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Nesal

Ók will get hs-55 all around, what about the gyro? Could it be reprogrammed or its just dead?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:09 AM
J-MICHAEL

What is the gain on the gyro?

Remember that on the gyro gain 0-50 is rate mode. The gyro sees this as a non-heading hold mode.... Anything more 50-100, the gyro sees this and sets accordingly to then heading hold mode. Generally you would set up your tail in rate mode, and then apply the gain in HH mode thereafter. You can start the gain higher say about 90 or so, and see if the tail is wagging... If it is, then you slowly work the gain down in small increments until the wag stops and you then will have your max hold for HH mode. The gyro is only as good as the tail servo working with it, meaning they both play a major function in holding the tail together as a team per say....

So your gyro was functioning one day, and then the next it performs as you described above ? It could very well be its shot, and there really is no way to re-configure it but just to get a new one. Horizon has outstanding customer service in case that could be and may be able to offer some assistance to ya depending...

If you were to upgrade your gyro, the GY401 is an excellent choice and used by many including myself. I've never had 1 issue with mine in over a year using it. JR, and Logitech also have good gyros that work great also...

Hope ya get the problem resolved, and keep us informed, or if ya have any more questions or ideas...

Take care,

~ Jeff
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 AM
sn00p

you havent accidentally flipped the switch on the gyro from norm to digital have you??? just a thought. And 55 is very low??? mines around 80ish
Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Nesal

I havent touched the gyro! but thanks for the help guys it is much appreciated! I will be getting a 401 shortly!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
xyster101

I have would say I noticed a 30% better hold with the gy401 over the stock one. I don't think it is worth the $190 I paid for the 401 over the stock one though. But my stock one died and the 401 was in stock and the stock gyro was not. I bought a 401 and then mailed the stock gyro back and got a brand new one. I am running hitec 65 servos on the cyclic and the tail. They are not digital, but for what most people do, they will not notice a difference.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM
TheLockman

I am unclear if this is what happened or not, but just in case. When I replaced the servo for the tail rotor, after a small crash, it actually rotated the opposite direction. So I had to change the direction in the transmitter. Then I had to change the Gyro from Norm to Rev. Problem solved.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
CAP232AC
My Feedback: (12)

Spool it up in rate mode, then switch to heading lock.