Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Any tips for flying my new heli?

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Any tips for flying my new heli?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 PM
kruser495

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips for flying my new heli?

well, my parents picked me up my first heli today from the lhs for x-mas. i got the blade cx2. the hobby shop was trying to sell me on the blade mcx because it was easy to fly and they said flying the cx2 would be difficult. i hear from everyone that flying the cx2 is a breeze. is that so? do you have any tips when i fly it for my first time? thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 PM
sixinarow

Default RE: Any tips for flying my new heli?

Don't crash!

Well, for flying tips I guess a good one is to make small movements of the sticks. Over-correcting can cause lots of crashes. Hover off the ground a few inches at first, then work up from there.

Have fun and buy lots of extra parts!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:36 PM
kruser495

when i add throttle will it hover by itself? will it stay at a stable hover just by using the throttle?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
evdreamer

If it is set up properly it should hover by itself for awhile, but you will need to add small stick movements over time to keep it in one spot.

Nick
Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 PM
kruser495

thanks! what hieght should i maintane hover for my first time. should i hover high so downdraft wont affect me?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:32 AM
evdreamer

When I was learning I stayed as close to the ground as possible until I felt comfortable with the controls. If you are outside and it is windy you might not be prepared to compensate for where the heli goes up high.

Nick
Old 12-22-2008, 01:25 AM
mydartswinger

The CX2 really isn't that much harder to fly than the mCX. It does, however, need a larger area to fly in, say a garage for the CX2 vs. a bedroom or living room for the mCX (over a bed isn't a half bad place to fly a CX2 though . Trying to land on a spot on the bed covering is fun, as well as good practice without much risk to the heli). It will also take less of a beating than the mCX.

As for flying tips, as said before, use small stick movements. Keep them smooth and don't bang the sticks around, the CX2, nor any other RC for that matter, really don't like that to well. Try not to "chop" the "throttle" (known as collective for a heli). If you "chop" it, the heli will fall rather quickly, and responds slowly to any increase. From a low altitude (1 foot or less), "chopping" the throttle is OK, just not any higher. It'll hover easiest about 1 foot off of the ground, with about 5-10 feet or more away from any walls or obstacles so as not to get "sucked in". Make sure you check your blade tracking as the manual suggests, as well as the balancing. When you crash and repair it, check everything over again. It will need it. Get VERY familliar with the location of your TX's trim tabs, you will need to use them to get her stable. It makes it much easier when you can just use your thumb while flying without landing and looking at the TX (makes it much quicker, and makes the flight more enjoyable). Read and re-read the manual, paying particular attention to the set up and flying sections.

Don't go crazy with "upgrades" until you are comfortable with it. Many of the upgrades make the heli heavier and more tricky to control. Do buy an extra battery or 2 to decrease the downtime between flights. Doing this allows you to get more flights in and shortens your learning curve instead of flying for 10 minutes (at max) and waiting at least an hour before your next flight. You'll pick it up faster if you can fly more in a day than if you were to only get in 1 per day.

I noticed that you've been looking at getting into helicopters for over a year and a half. You seem to have done a lot of homework on what to get, and the CX2 has been the prevailing choice. I think you made the right one, especially reading that you don't have any assistance in your learning. The upgrades mentioned in a couple of your other threads that people have said are worth buying are worth it. At least the upper and lower rotor heads. You won't notice much difference with the aluminum swashplate or bearing holder. I have added all of the above mentioned upgrades as well as the Jet Ranger fuselage (body), and they have all added enough weight that the older motors on the heli could not keep up. If you want to upgrade, go with the upper and lower heads, and the motor cooling fins (not sure if the CX2 comes with them, I started on a CX, sold it, then picked up a CX2 used) for starters. The heads will increase the durability of it, while the fins will help keep the motors cool and last longer (if installed properly with just the right amount of the thermal grease) Once you get comfortable with her, add the rest if you choose.

Enjoy your new heli, you've waited a while for it.

Happy flying.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:44 AM
kruser495

thanks for your very helpful post. i have been surfing around on what to get for a long time. always getting sidetracked on something else. finally i have it. lol. i cant wait.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 PM
choppersrule

Kruser,

Regardless of which helicopter you get. Check out Radd's School of Rotory Flight.

Here's the site: http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Dave
================================================== ================================
ORIGINAL: kruser495

thanks for your very helpful post. i have been surfing around on what to get for a long time. always getting sidetracked on something else. finally i have it. lol. i cant wait.