Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

New To Helis

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Helis

hello all im new to helis iv been racing 1/5th and 1/8 scale r/c gas cars . I bought a blade mcx and love it but would like to get into a larger heli. iv read that a fp heli is easyier to fly as well as repair....does blade 400 come in a fp version or do they make something in its size..does it come with a simulator?...any help would be just great...are the bigger helis similar to mcx as far as flying?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
bad400

Default RE: New To Helis

blade 400 is a collective pitced heli
a fixed pitched heli is not as stable as a collective pitched heli.
the 400 is not bad on repair cost`s, ive spent 30 bucks on my worst crash.its the blades that eat up the money.woodies are 11.99 and the glass fiber that i run are 13.99 this is the most exspince i have in a crash
it does not come with a simmulator

no fixed or collective pitched heli fly`s like a co-axail.you can fly a co-axial with one hand, the fixed and collective pitched heli`s will always need stick correction`s to hover
Old 02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
jay273
My Feedback: (1)

what is a good way to go after the blade mcx? i would like to get into a single blade heli...cp or fp? whats good for a newbie? what model would be good kinda hopin to stay with e-flite or e-sky as parts are avail here...
Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
JPEE

Hello Jay,

I am mentoring a friend now that is starting off. The first thing I did was have him get an MCX then two weeks later a G-4 SIM another $200.00. Yes this hobby can become expensive but there are steps one must take $$ or not. Next he bought a CX2 last week on his own decesion after lfying mime. That allowed him to see the different in stepping upin size, though it is just another BIG MCX it flies much harder in the house! as it is larger. He practices on the SIM almost daily, you have to put in your time. His next step is the 400 too. Now don't get me wrong there are guys with little to no expereince and go out and get a 400 and fly it! There is just a lot of DEPENDS there on the guy at the controls.
I must agree with Bad 400, I had a FP heli, a Hirobo Quark and while it hovered very nicely, it was more of a challenge than a "collective" heli t fly foward and turn. I guess the bottom line is how much money and time to do you have? Sounds like your a longtime RC'er so you know the hobby.

I am going to send you a PM I sent to another this morning. You might find it interesting.
JPEE
Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
jp473

Just a thought.
If you really want a fixed pitch heli you can lock in the pitch of the 400 with the radio settings. And then as you get more comfortable, you can add collective. Never tried it personally but it can be done with a flick of a switch.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
JPEE

jp473

What a great suggeston! Right there in front of my face and I could not see the trees for the forest as they say. Again..............what a great idea!

JPEE
Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
J-MICHAEL

ORIGINAL: jay273

what is a good way to go after the blade mcx? i would like to get into a single blade heli...cp or fp? whats good for a newbie? what model would be good kinda hopin to stay with e-flite or e-sky as parts are avail here...

I never went the FP route as I started on the CP's off the bat, but they always since have been interesting to me for a nice calm backyard flier. Over on the "Struggling With Single Rotor Basics" thread most of the guys there also fly the FP along with the CP's if you needed some info on what FP would be good if you don't get much of a response here...

Randy (RMG2) over there flies a Mini-Titan E325 450 and he loves the FP heli's also... He's out there doing loops in that little thing ! Outfitted right these heli's will perform and fly great, but the secret is also in the quality of the electronics and the heli itself..

Here's his FP heli in action :

http://vimeo.com/3074927

Good luck, and congrats on wanting to move up !

~ Jeff
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
JPEE

Jeff my friend, that vid is incredable for a FP heli....... WOW YIKES and all of those other words you say.
JPEE
Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
carnate617
My Feedback: (2)

wow, just watched those videos,, and 'awesome'. I wish I had my tax returns. 'WANT MY SIM'
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
JPEE

Chris, you cant buy a SIM with a USA Federal IOU! LOL

JPEE
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
pseudodude

I agree with the other guys. Get a good sim, then if you want to go with the blade 400 you can increase the pitch of the mains which will decrease the head speed needed to hover, and therefore make things a little softer and slower. This worked well for me. There are several threads that address taming the 400. All of these will work well, just depends on what your comfortable with.