Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

will bad swash affect lower blade tracking?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

will bad swash affect lower blade tracking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM
AH-64_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will bad swash affect lower blade tracking?

Separated a swash plate in a crash and snapped it back together with my fingers. Bird flies OK, but I note that its lower blade tips do not track well. The blades have been boiled and balanced, so I am staring atreplacing the swashplate, but thought it useful to askthe Collective if a bad swashplate will affect lower blade tracking.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Coyote64

Default RE: will bad swash affect lower blade tracking?

There is no mechanical way to adjust the lower tracking on a cx2, the lower blades pivot usng the links from the swash to control  forward / back, left and right movement of the heli.

As the links are both set lengths there is no option to tune the tracking.If the swash is out this would not show in tracking but show in the form of a drift in the heli. Instead of a rock steady hover it would contstantly need inputs. If this is not the case then the swash is fine and simply just swap blades until a balanced set is achieved
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM
AH-64_d

The bird in question is a Twister Skylift and its last crash was 21 March.  Repairs could have used a mix of Twister and E-Flite links, so on reading your message, I checked the links to see if they were the same size.  They were identical.  In any event, FlyCamOne2 video shot after that Skylift repair is surprisingly steady, so the temptation is to leave well enough alone until it again needs repairs.  Thanks for your advice.

regards,

AH-64 D 
Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 AM
AH-64_d

The soution to the problem was to boil the blades again.  That blade set balanced well, but failed to tip track under load even though they tracked nicely at low speed on the bench.  This time, I made sure that the just boiled blade edges were in contact with a flat surface along their entire length.  That did the trick.  The blades now track well at low and high speed.  The upper blades on my CX2  were behaving the same way, so I boiled them also and got the same results.  Lesson learned.