Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

battery charge question

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

battery charge question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Fadius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery charge question

Hello,

when they say that you shouldn't let the battery's voltage drop under 9V (3V per cell) ... is that with or without load ?

thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Coyote64

Default RE: battery charge question

Both, if the cells drop below 3 then the cells will start damaging themslves
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Fadius

I would imagine that the voltage under load would be lower than without load ... but i can only measure the voltage using a multimeter when there is no load (battery disconnected).

so that's kind of tricky...

i'm pretty new to this and spending most of my time (so far) aligning and troubleshooting ...  hard to tell how much of the battery is left ...

any harm is regularly recharging it ?  I read that it's not good to keep it fully charged either...  what a pain
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Coyote64

The way it works is never run the batteries too low

Each battery if properly discharged and recharged and balanced should give you 300 charge cycles

A lipo alarm is what i use to keep from over discharging mine
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Mack66

The guidelines as I understand them are to avoid dropping the LiPo below 50% capacity to maximize its life. I only have a Blade CX2, which uses 2S 800 maH batteries. When I'm through using them I make sure they are charged at around 50% storage. Now running them down lower than 50% isn't a big deal with these tiny cheap(er) batteries, but when you get into the bigger ones they start getting very expensive so you'll want to take care of them.

I use an FMA Direct CellPro 4S balancing charger, which reports the battery capacity in percent, so don't normally think in terms of voltage. I've found through experience to limit flight time to 5.5 minutes, which puts me at about 50% capacity (3.84V), ready for recharge or storage so I don't have to fiddle around when I want to pack up and put things away.

Now for your question, here is the best table I can find:

Capacity vs Static Voltage (for one cell)

4.20v = 100%
4.03v = 76%
3.86v = 52%
3.83v = 42%
3.79v = 30%
3.70v = 11%
3.6?v = 0%

Since your battery is a 3S, just multiply the volts by 3 and you will know where you are. Running your battery down to 3V per cell may run the risk of shortening its life.

This is really not as much of a pain as you think if you start timing your flights. Once you know how long your typical flight is, you just set a timer (electronic egg timer is what I used got it from the Dollar Store). And as I said, if you target 50%, you won't have to fiddle with it to store it.

Hope this helps.

Mack