Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Securing of Lipo batteries in Blade 400

Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Securing of Lipo batteries in Blade 400

Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
tandem4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing of Lipo batteries in Blade 400

The Blade has a battery securing strap as well as black self sticking Velcro that came with the heli. On my spare batteries I used a white self sticking Velcro I had but this becomes gooey when the battery is in use it heats up the glue on the Velcro and then debonds. I removed the white Velcro as well as the original black Velcro and stuck standard Velcro (without the glue backing) with a glue gun onto the battries as well as the heli. This also peels off very easily.

What do I use to stick the Velcro to the chopper and to the batteries. I do still have a lot of the standard Velcro without the glue backing.

Remember I live in the bush in Africa with no stores around and I need a solution to stick the stuff properly. I do have a flexible epoxy as well as some one minute epoxy as well as CA. I also have some contact glue.

Which of the above will work efficiently?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
baurwin

Default RE: Securing of Lipo batteries in Blade 400

tandem - that seems strange that its coming unbonded like that. how hot are ur batts getting. i started off using industrial velcro and then switched to the align strips since they were already cut the perfect size to slap on a battery. i have no problems with them staying bonded to the battery or heli. its actually kinda difficult to pull the battery off when im done flying. being in the middle of texas, its triple digit heat on daily basis, still no problems. i only mention that, cuz i assume its very hot there too.

let us know how it goes. hopefully someone will have some good ideas for ya.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Coyote64

Your battery should not be getting hot enough to melt the glue on the hook n loop material at all, how hots hot ?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
JPEE

Tandem4,

I agree with the guys, you need to get yourself a thermal temp gun and shoot the battery temp, shoot the motor too and the ESC while your there. If you do this roll it around and measure the temp in seveal places looking for hot spots on the pack. I too use the standard Align pre cut tape on some of my 400's and then I also use the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight here the USA..... and tool shop importer. Only once long ago did I have the soft velcro get soft and start to move on a pack. What is the "C" rating on your packs? If your flying 20 C move up to 25-30 C. The 25C I am using now are barely warm to the hand when I land when it is 80 in the shade and I have flown the crap out the heli at 6 min or plane at 11 minutes!
Articles say your pack should not get over 140 degrees or your killing it. Guys here in California on hot days fly high "C" rated batteries and have a ice chest so after flying you can bag the battery and drop it in to bring the down the temp FAST to save the battery and extend its life.

JPEE
Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM
baurwin

Guys here in California on hot days fly high "C" rated batteries and have a ice chest so after flying you can bag the battery and drop it in to bring the down the temp FAST to save the battery and extend its life
interesting, ill have to keep that in mind. i woulda never thought of that.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 AM
tandem4

Thanx for all the replies. I will get a infra red temperature gun today as we use it to control the heat of the new asphalt the contractor are producing.

Firstly...... The batteries ... all of them, are stock E-flite 3S 11.1v 1800 mAh 20c (36 amp) batteries. They get hot, yes, but not scaldingly hot. They are more warm to touch than hot. Nothing warmer than the smaller 7.4 mAh Extreme batteries I use on the Kestrel and the Lama. I will measure them today and I will look for hot spots on the heli. I have felt with my fingers but the ESC does not even really heat up and the motor gets warm to slightly hot, but I will measure today. I was and still is very sensitive to the ESC due to the lower throttle curve I am using.

I think it is crappy Velcro I am using and the bottom line of my posting was to find an alternative way of securing Velcro untill I get to civilisation again to purchase proper Velcro. Remeber the original Velcro on the original battery was taken of when I removed the white velcro to stick the normal Velcro with the glue gun. This operation did not work. The same white velcro was used on the heli frame as the original black Velcro was removed when I had to repair the servo.

I will report back this afternoon. I will mix some of the flexible epoxy just now and stick some Velcro to one battery as an experiment.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
tandem4

OK........ I stuck Velcro to two batteries and the heli with the flexible epoxy. It works, or it seems to work. I prepped the areas well by cleaning with a alcohol free surgical swab, dried it and stuck the Velcro. I left to cure for the day and flew two batteries with a gap of approx 20 minutes between each. Only got the temp gun after I finished the second flight. The battery measured 45deg C (113 deg F) the motor was 32 deg C (90 deg F) and the ESC all over was 25 deg C (77 deg F) Is this extreme? Oh yes the newly epoxied Velcro seems to work this first time..... can I surmise crappy Velcro?????? My flying currently takes the form of taking off, hover for a few seoncds.... up to 30 sec sometimes and then loose guts and drop out of the sky!!!!!!!!