Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Blade CP newbie question

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CP newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
cod_father

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade CP newbie question

I am fairly new to heli's and I have a question about the pitch on the main blades of a CP. I recently aquired a Blade CP from a friend. It seems to have gotten little use although its been around a while. While reading the manual I was testing the movement of the swatchplate to ensure everything was functioning OK. I noticed that when increasing the pitch one blade seemed to move alot more then the other, Upon futher investigation I noticed that one of the rear servos had alot more travel than the others causing more movement on one main blade. Is this correct? or should the two rear servos travel the same distance when increasing pitch only?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Nova5

Default RE: Blade CP newbie question

Both blades should move equally, otherwise the rotor shaft would have a directional stress applied to it that could create a unwanted vibration.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi cod_father,

Congrats on your new heli!

Something you may want to consider doing since you bought your heli used is to go over the entire head to make sure no linkages are bent and to make sure the grips have all the washers and the spindle isn't bent. This will mean taking the head apart but this will let you know for sure if anything is amiss. You may want to also take pictures of the head before and during disassembly to help you in putting things back in the right place.

Secondly, your servo's should be moving the same distance when you advance throttle/pitch. Are all of your other servo's moving in the right direction, ie. elevator and aerilon inputs moving the swash in the correct direction?

One thing to look for is at midstick all three of your servo's should be at 90 degrees. If they are not then you may have to remove a servo arm and reposition it. BTW, do disconnect the main and tail motors so things don't go spinning out of control when doing this.

A website to help you is: www.bladecprepair.com

They have lots of pictures and blown up diagrams to assist in the diagnosis and repair of a Blade CP.

Lastly, don't know how much experience you have flying a heli but the blade CP is a tough heli if this is your first collective pitch heli. If so, you will definitely want to get some training gear before your first hover.

Good luck and have fun!

Mark
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 AM
cod_father

Thanks for the info guys. When advancing the pitch 1 servo of the three travels alot further than the other two causing the swash plate tilt to the right. It will go back to level when it comes back to neutral(stick all the way back) I am thinking the servos may be bad where its been lying around but the funny thing is when applying alieron I do get the full deflection from those servos.
It barely has enough lift to haver until I move the aileron to the right a little and up it goes like a rocket. I guess when I aileron over it levels the blades evenly as it should producing lift from both rotors.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 AM
cod_father

Well 1 problem solved and another created! Ended up I had 1 bad servo on ch2. I replaced the servo and noticed the direction of throw was incorrect. Simple right........reverse ch2! I reversed ch2 on the radio and the servo did not follow suit, still going in same direction!!!! Not sure now if I have a receiver problem or a radio problem. Has anybody ever seen this senerio?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi there,

Sorry your having such issues right from the start, let's go over some basic stuff:

Is the servo in the correct position, meaning the servo wire pointing upward?

Next, is the servo wire plugged in to the 4N1 correctly, black wire should be on the outside?

The stock radio that comes with the Blade CP doesn't really give you much room for adjustments but reversing the servo switch should have reversed the direction of the servo. You may want to try reversing the ail switch and see if that servo reverses, just to rule out a malfunction of the radio. As a last resort, switch the servo wires for ail and ele (in the 4N1) and see if the reversing switch (on the radio) works for both - that way you know its possibly the radio and not the new servo.

BTW, do write down some notes on what channel each servo you are disconnecting goes to (ail and ele) and also the original position of the reversing switches - before you start this.

If all else fails, don't hesitate to call Horizon Hobby for assistance. They have great customer/tech service and can quickly go over and rule out things for you. There number is: 1-800-338-4639

Good luck!

Mark