Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade SR 120

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM
res3567

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade SR 120

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=BLH3100
Old 08-08-2010, 02:14 PM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Blade SR 120

there has been a couple of threads about it, here is one of them
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9852435/tm.htm
Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM
res3567

I looked and did not see...then again I did not go to the 2nd page. Been out of the helis for a while.....am all caught up tn this boat thing.....but my helis are in my bedroom on my TV looking at my saying.....when you gone put us back in the air????
Old 08-08-2010, 03:54 PM
nothinbetr2do

i hear ya on the boat thing, that happened to me last hear. i have 4 gassers and a nitro, but i couldn't find a local club, so i kinda don't run them as much now as i should. i figured with the heli's i can just fly them in my back yard, and i don't need anybody. they would just be distactions anyway. the 120 sounds like it's going to be a nice fp heli. if it's like the msr(just bigger) i'm sure it will be a hit. if you decide to get one, make a post about it, and tell us how you feel about it.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM
res3567

Ok will do and thanks. I am packing two CX2's,a Cp, a mCX, and an mSR. I am also sporting two Aquacraft Airforce's airboat, and an Aquacraft SV 27 deep V boat. My oilin my pickup neds to be changed. I need new clothes. I need a haircut. Just when I decide to stop spending on my hobbies.....herecomes the Blade 120......Good Grief!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
wattman

Received my Blade 120SR yesterday , looks great , is larger than what I thought it would be , really like the JST connectors , is really quiet flying , , flown with RTF transmitter , and bound to DX6i transmitter and flown , have flown for 7 mins so far on a battery with no loss of power , I like this new heli

Here are some 'family" photos

Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
nothinbetr2do

nice. so i guess they are shipping them now. it looks like it's as big as the cx2, does it fly like the msr?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Sasquatchin

Got the Blade SR 120 today..here is a video (sorry its sideways for a bit..a friend used my phone to shoot the video. It flies great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U1NUrrwAt8
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Hooplah

Greetings,

Reflections from a very low time inexperienced helo pilot...

Well it's August 12th, and right on time the Blade 120 SR arrives at my LHS in Louisville, KY. As I'm on top of the waiting list, I rush over to pick it up, including an extra set of blades "just in case". Alas I'm am still working per TV shop repairs so all I can do for now is charge up the battery and wait until 6:00PM.

The battery charges in 15 minutes. Probably NOT the norm, but came with a partial charge (or the guys at the hobby shop took it for a spin). I love the LEDs on the charger. One light for charging, all of them flashing for almost done, and then it goes to "Knight Rider" scanning lights when finished. Cool! The charger also has multiple charging rates so it is probably designed to charge all other E-Flight batteries as well. The only down side is that it is AC only per no 12vdc clips for in the field. We'll need more batteries and an AC inverter in the car.

Read the manual, power up and "wow" the blades really get going with just a little throttle input. Inputs are also very quick to respond. Read the manual some more...Turns out the transmitter powers up in hi-mode per the dual rates. Not good for newbies like me, so I quickly set to low-mode and now we're cooking.

Like all the helos I've played with, this one wants to bank left per the torque per light on the skids. Trimming doesn't resolve this, so I lift it up two feet and start playing with the trims. A few hops and we're dialed in. I love the bright yellow fuselage as it will be easily visible when I start flying at a distance.

The fixed pitch blades really helps per maintaining a stable height while hovering and trimming. This changes a lot with forward transitional flight as is expected, but is great for the first time flyer at hover. Be prepared to allow for some flying room on the first flights (at least for me anyway). Indoors I would want 20x20 feet clear. My first spool up was in much less space (the excitement of a new toy), and the tail rotor blade came off when it hit my leg before I could drop the throttle. No biggie as it snapped right back on. So next I did mine outside in the clear with no wind which worked great. Then a slight wind came up, I was pointed into it, and full forward cyclic didn't help as it was still flying backwards towards me. I could have compensated if I was a better pilot, but I'm not so I land and play it safe. This is not a cheap hobby!

No wind. Now we're flying...This helo rocks! I was doing tail-in, nose-in, circles, and figure 8s at 5 feet on the third flight. It was very stable and predictable.

Of course this probably couldn't be done without some trainer time. For me that was a Blade MCX2 in the shop per the BASICS! It flies great until the air conditioner in the shop turns on. But what really counted was RealFlight 3.5 flying the MD500E for countless hours getting my brain to work with my fingers. I also did some 3-D Raptors which I couldn't fly very well, but it certainly helped to get my reaction times down. It could be similar to learing how to drive a car where you do a dozen things a minute without thinking about it, so it is the same for learning to fly helos. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/index.html was also great per trying to fly for the first time. So I suggest spending some big bucks getting serious with a trainer app...I setup a PC in the TV shop...we'll have lots of helo pilots soon.

Learning to fly helos is so complex. There are all the mechanics and needed adjustments per the hardware, plus trimming out the bird. When you are new to the hobby you don't have the skills to fly the thing, much less know when something needs adjustment when you are flying. All the Internet searches won't help much until you get those flying skills working. Thus I suggest a trainer app if you're not fortunate to have an experienced pilot with a good reputation to get you into the air. RealFlight is great for me. Something else may work for you. There is also an Australian company making one just for E-Flight helos at http://www.preflightsim.com/ . Anyone tried this one?

I started with a Blade CP per fly, crash, buy parts, and repeat multiple times. Finally a blade strike at power took out the FETs in the ESC. Haven't been able to find them. Cost is $70.00 per the whole receiver, but we'll see.

I also bought a Blade SR but was smart enough to charge up the battery, then take it back to the LHS and have them check everything then test fly it in the store. So it was easy to lift off knowing that any mistakes in the air would be mine and not the helo. It was MUCH more responsive than the 120 SR. Per the tail rotor motor I've found that slow spooling up before pre-flight is important. Then it works great although you've got this silly "hornet" buzzing sound. Again thanks to all the above for getting me into the air and back without crashing.

So is the Blade 120 SR a great first helicopter? Only if you have done your homework. It's not even close to the SR in performance (and the required reaction times to master it) and of course comes nowhere near the hi-end of this hobby. But like the Blade MCX2, it is pointing you in the right direction.

Best Regards,
George
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Rob2160

Ok here is my experience - First Day with the 120 SR..

I have an MSR that has over 300 flights with NO crashes..

First flight was just to trim and adjust it for a hands off hover - all good, minor adjustments needed.

2nd flight - Perfect.. Loved it.. just as easy as the MSR Timed it at 7 mins 25 seconds until power down kicked in

3rd flight on a 6 minute timer.. all perfect.

4th flight - 2 minutes into the flight the thing starts rotating uncontrollably to the left THETAILROTORMOTORISWORNOUT!

Are you kidding me?? I've been wating for this for MONTHS.

Now with less than 20 minutes on the heli.. the tail rotor has failed... It spins slowly when powered up but not enough to do anything...

I'm majorly disappointed.. I'll take it back tomorrow, he had 20 in the store... hopefully get an exchange...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:03 PM
rotorbroke

I think I've seen other video's from that hobby store before. That is not what my lhs looks like. I want to go to your store!!!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Dave ESPI

I work for a hobbyshop.

Ive been frothing @ the mouth for one of these 120s to come in stock.... We got 3 and I didnt even see it on the shelf till lastnight. I had my first flight in my kitchen after work, and it flew about 6 inches off the floor with minor cyclone wash effect, and once about 2 feet off the floor it was stable. I re charged the battery and waited till this morning back @ the shop where I have big open space.

[X(] WOW awesome flies just like my MSR but its bigger and easier to see a hundred feet away!

My only lament thusfar, I wish it was Brushless.

a Lighting kit would be cool with a scale fuselague also
Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

anyone else with one of these little birds?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 AM
AirplaneMan04

Been reading alot about the Tail Motors failing on this bird, as well as on the Blade SR
This is making me NOT want to get either.
Any brushless conversions out there yet for the SR120?
Old 09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
just flyin

ive had mine for two weeks id say 50 flights and tonite the tail motor failed .
every once in a while it would spin in flight then hold and now theres nothing at all.
i bought this thing to fly it not for it to wear out in two week!

gonna call horrizon hobby tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM
crashinitup

The wires seem to get loose in the tail motor. I t causes the the tail to seem like the motor fails, but all you have to do is play with the connections and it should work well again
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
gweber

Yep, I've had this same problem happen three times so far.

The tail rotor motor is just fine (no failure). The problem is the connector. I separated it, spread the pins apart a bit, then reattached it. It has been solid ever since.

Gary