RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   MSR X (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/11002413-msr-x.html)

sam-huggins 03-16-2012 04:46 AM

MSR X

Anyone want to purchase a MSRX ? I have one never flown. The price is $119.00 thats what Horizon Hobby sold it to me for and guess what you can't fly it. Thats what the junkyard dealers sold me brand new out of the box.

kfrisbee 03-16-2012 05:09 AM

RE: MSR X

If it's never been flown, how do you know you can't fly it?

I have an mSR X and fly it with the DX6i and love it. Of the 6 heli's that I have/had the mSR X is my favorite, by far!

edited to add:

I looked back at your posts in general and see that you have been complaining about this heli for weeks.

1) Your experience (as you describe it) with Horizon Hobbies is certainly not normal. I have been dealing with their CS on a couple of issues and have NEVER had an issue. As a matter of fact, I had a problem with the servos on my mSRX after 5 weeks of flying it into walls and they sent me a new main board - no questions asked. They also sent me a tail rotor for my 120SR when I had trouble with it; again, no questions asked. My guess is when you are calling them you are not explaining the issues you are having, rather you are only complaining that you were sold a peice of garbage.

2) The mSRX is not easy to fly. It has only 1 set of blades and no flybar, so hovering it is like balancing a marble on a sheet of glass. The other heli's that you have been successful flying are either coaxial or have a 45 degree flybar; both of those setups are extremely stable in a hover and if you get into trouble with them, release the sticks and they go into a stable hover.

3) Neither of the transmitters that you have are programmable. The mSRX can be flown with either of them but not easily, This heli really needs a programmable TX; DX6i or better.

These are only my opinions and observations.

Good luck finding a vendor that you can work with.

Bigdaddybiscuitsplitter 03-16-2012 06:50 AM

I would love to buy an msrx, even one that is "unflyable". However, I would refrain from purchasing a USED product for the same price as one that could be bought new unless there was something about it that warranted the extra cost. Simple economics.... and I quite easily sympathize with your frustrations as I purchased a new helimax Novus cx and experienced product failure after less than 10 flights, and after extreme aggravation dealing with my local hobby shop, I lost interest in my new unflyable toy. I was out over $140 dollars with tax, spare parts and batteries- I gave the model to a friend who was willing to tinker with it.
My point is this, one has to be realistic when establishing a price for a possesion- who would pay top dollar for "junk" ?

gmeyer-RCU 03-16-2012 02:29 PM

I have a MSRX myself I am using the stock TX on low rates and I moved the ball links to the shorter connectors on the swash plate to turn it down some more. And yes I am still struggling to hover it or really have any control at all BUT I am only crashing once or twice per battery and not breaking anything in the last 6 flights. This is a very hard heli to fly and have considered giving up on it and buying a SR120 or a solo pro V2 because I have seen my heli get flown by more exp. pilots than me and I know it fly's so I keep trying to fly it knowing full well that this is a challenge. I am looking at this this way the learning curve is not a contest it is going to take me time to learn to fly this heli. I will say this I DO NOT think this heli is step 2 after flying a MCX2 for a while I don't know what is step 2 but I will admit that I still might get a SR120 and keep the msrx.
Greg

ssmith9303 03-21-2012 06:37 AM

Hello all, I bought an msr x yesterday. I cant fly it either. Have had no problems with my mcx, but this thing is very frustrating. Is there maybe an inbetween model? I dont want to give up on it, but dont want to destroy it. I can say that it is very durable, bounces off everything in its path. Im using the dsm2 controller from the mcx. Could this be some of my problem? Any hints,tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

David Eichstedt 03-21-2012 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: ssmith9303

Hello all, I bought an msr x yesterday. I cant fly it either. Have had no problems with my mcx, but this thing is very frustrating. Is there maybe an inbetween model? I dont want to give up on it, but dont want to destroy it. I can say that it is very durable, bounces off everything in its path. Im using the dsm2 controller from the mcx. Could this be some of my problem? Any hints,tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks!
The 120SR has a 45-degree stabilizing flybar that gives the heli some self-righting characteristics similar to a coaxial. If you're having trouble with the mSR X then I suggest you try one of these.

The mSR X is at least a half-step above the 120SR and the original mSR as far as difficulty to fly. Really it's not meant to be your first fixed pitch machine - that's what the 120SR is for. So don't feel bad if you're finding it to be too large of a leap from your mCX.

Note that a single-rotor heli has different flight characteristics than a coaxial; it's just the nature of the beast. And a collective-pitch heli has even more different characteristics than a fixed-pitch machine. For many people it works best to follow the progression of coaxial - fixed pitch - collective pitch. The mSR X is a fixed pitch machine, but it's a fairly advanced fixed pitch machine. If you already can fly something like the 120SR, mSR, or even a CCPM machine like the mCP X, then you're in the best position to have fun with the mSR X.

I hope this helps.

gmeyer-RCU 03-21-2012 04:24 PM

I was able to make a little progress flying this heli Monday night by buying a used DX6 I put 6 batteries through this thing in a small gym I was able to hover it and keep it within the center circle without touching the floor for 3 batteries (nose out) this was my goal. When I tried to fly it outside the circle it did not go well at all for me maybe I was going to slow???? I really don't know why or how it would enter a hands off circle and just go round and round like I was trying to flush it down a toilet ( I HAVE CONSIDERED THIS) oh well I still feel I made progress and if I have to take baby steps learning to fly this heli than so be it I am trying to keep a positive attitude towards learning to fly it just took getting a better radio than the stock one to make a little progress. Greg

ssmith9303 03-22-2012 04:06 AM

@ David Thanks for the reply. I think my next move will be a sim. Followed by the purchase of a 120sr. Is the 120 much harder to fly than the mcx? The mcx was so easy to learn, that I thought the msrx wouldnt be a problem. Boy was I wrong. Anyway thanks again.

dave21740 03-22-2012 10:21 AM

I can't imagine anyone buying a product in a private sale at retail price, even if unused and unopened. So, I'm sure the OP is more interested in making a statement than making a reasonable offer.

As a beginner, the msrx was the first heli I bought. There are valid criticisms to be made about how it flies, but to trash it the way the OP has done only lowers his credibility.

It doesn't take that much time/effort to learn to fly the msrx, even in a small living room. It has quirks, definitely. Most msrx helis need to have the servo linkage lengths adjusted to keep the heli from sliding off when you apply rudder at slow speeds. That is well documented in forums, and so is the fix. Another issue is that the msrx doesn't like making clean left hand turns at slow speed. You can correct for it, and at faster speeds (i.e., not indoors) it isn't a big deal. As for outside flying, a little breeze is ok but if there's any appreciable wind, the heli will struggle and might start to porpoise in a headwind. No way to avoid that with a heli that size.

Indoors, I fly it with no exponential, but outdoors I have the elevator throw set to 130% (gives me full servo range) and 15% exponential, and that seems to make it a little better in the wind. I bought a programmable transmitter when I decided I was going to stick with the hobby, which definitely helps. Going to a programmable transmitter may help you get up the learning curve quicker than using the RTF transmitter.

If I had paid $600 for this heli, I'd be trash talking too, but for the price, it's fine and its quirks are really not a big deal.

[edit - ssmith9303, it looks like my post was marked as being in response to yours, but it was in response to the OP]
</p>

gmeyer-RCU 03-25-2012 02:23 PM

I bought a 120SR and have found it to be much easier to fly than my MSRX and easier see also where I really went wrong here is buying a used and previously programmed DX6I I bound it to the TX and tried to fly it after 2 battery packs and numerous crashes I looked further into the unfamiliar programming of the DX6i and found that the elevons were enabled, elevons and heli's don't mix after turning those OFF everything went MUCH better.
should I be flying in heli mode or airplane mode on the DX6i.
Greg

dragnse7en 04-05-2012 12:08 AM

Oh boy - I hope that I have some good luck with the MSRX. I was studying both that and the 120 SR, and I hope I didn't make a mistake. A few years back, I got an unflyable 4ch Walkera 4#3b, which made me sad b/c it was my 1st 4ch. Whatever the case, I am excited about this new MSRX and I like is smaller size.

LENYLOW 04-07-2012 07:12 AM

Hi guys does anybody no if the landing skid set on the msrx is the same as the msr? and also i plan on moving up to the msrx once i have total masterd the msr, so would i be able to use the transmitter that came with the rtf msr and bind it to the msrx?

dragnse7en 04-07-2012 07:39 AM

The LG and battery tray look the same, and the two choppers are pretty close together in size, so I guess so. There's a blade msr at the hobby shop. When I get my msr x, I'll try and take it down there to compare them and take a look.

The controller from your msr may only work if it has a functional CP control on it. Otherwise, it should BNF with no problem.

* edit - They're the same controller. It'll work.

LENYLOW 04-07-2012 08:30 AM

ok thanks for the reply. Yes the landing gear does look very similar but it has a diffrent part number, and is a bit cheaper to.
so if you could post back if you find out that would be great.

dragnse7en 04-07-2012 10:05 AM

I just got it in the mail - I'm charging the batteries on the charger as I type this. I'm going to call Gary instead @ the LHS and ask him about the size/ compatibility on the skids.

I'll repost here in about 15mins from now and give you his answer . . . .

dragnse7en 04-07-2012 10:19 AM

Okay - Igot my answer for you. Yeah, you won't like the answer either.

According to Gary @ my local hobby shop (LHS) - Gary said that Blade uses a simple part number system, just like any other solid rc company, like Team Associated, Losi, or Tamiya.

He said, that they're just like that, and if the part number doesn't match, then it most likely will not fit.

We talked together, and I said that it looks like that they fit, and then we both discovered further on that the mounting holes do not match up between the X and the older msr airframes. The upper airframes between the two are different, and have different mounting size holes, in different positions.

Sad to give you the bad news. The good news, however, is that Gary verified that the msr and msr x have the same Tx, so you can go ahead and get a BNF X series heli.

So, all in all - I learned something cool, and I helped out a fellow brit across the pond.

Please exchange the favor - pay your knowledge forward :)

I wanted the original msr, but I couldn't find a new one for sale - is this being discontinued by Blade with the X version?

LENYLOW 04-07-2012 03:34 PM

Thanks for taking the time to find this out, i guess i will have to wait for my local hobby dealer to get more of the msr skid sets in stock,
but it is good news that the x would bind with the transmitter.
Yes the msr has now been discontinued, and i think thats a bit of a shame as from what i have read the msrx is a fair bit harder to fly and hover,
not so suitable for beginers, more aimed at people that are looking to move up from the msr. That said i have seen nothing but good reviews on
the msrx and how it is even better so i will definatly be getting one, so would be intresting to here how you get on with it.

dragnse7en 04-07-2012 08:14 PM

Yeah, I hear you.

Right out of the box, my X wants to hover but banks hard right upon takeoff.

If the trim or adjustments won't help inside 7 days, it will be deemed "unflyable" and I will demand an absolute full refund.

LENYLOW 04-08-2012 04:29 AM

Oh dear, i had a similar problem with the msr, with the trim hard over it still banked so set the trim back to centre
and adjusted the push rod on the servo. That solved it for me, but these little things arnt as easy as they look to fly
and do take a lot of patience and practice.
I would say having flown the msr and the 120sr that the 120sr is easyer. I found it easyer to hover, but it could just
be that the 120sr was better set up, but it would probably be a good alternative should you not be able to get on with the x.

gmeyer-RCU 04-08-2012 04:30 AM

I have gotten used to the fact that mine goes left and backwards on take off then tilts the right I still cannot figure out why it goes round in circles by it self when I try to fly it just a little I am still going to try to fly it I have been flying in a SMALL church gym the last 2 days so I have flown all 3 helis many times I can fly the 120 sr better but it obvious to me that I need alot of practice with that heli it seems to have a bit of a shake to it at times maybe new blades? since I have 3 blade helis there is one thing that does NOT impress me on all 3 and that is the linear servos all three seem to exhibit the same inconsistent movement which is most evident on the mcx2 the only thing that works about the same on all three is the rudder response time.

elevons and helis dont mix (dont ask)
Happy Easter Greg

kfrisbee 04-08-2012 05:46 AM

The mSRX can be a fantastic little heli once you get the hang of it.

First things first; on takeoff you are going to want to get the heli up and out of the bladewash quickly or it will scoot off (usually back and left). I "pop it up" about a foot or two.

On another forum there is a post about how the mixes on the DX6i work. Starting with the numbers listed and the information he includes I was able to get my mSRX to turn right and left in piro and slow forward.

The mSRX isn't an easy heli to fly for a noob, but it is flyable and IMO a GREAT heli to learn on!

Here is the info on DX6i mixes

If you haven't already figured this out on your own, here's what the negative and positive numbers in the mix settings do.......

MIX 1
RUDD ELEV (ACT)
RATE D -35% U -25%
SW GYRO TRIM INH

D mixes in FORWARD or BACWARD cyclic as you apply LEFT Rudder
-X adds FORWARD Cyclic, +X adds BACKWARD Cyclic
U mixes in forward or backward cyclic as you apply RIGHT Rudder
-X adds BACWARD Cyclic, +X adds FORWARD Cyclic

MIX 2
RUDD AILE (ACT)
RATE L-40% R-10 %
SW GYRO TRIM INH

L mixes in RIGHT or LEFT cyclic as you apply LEFT Rudder
-X adds RIGHT Cyclic, +X adds LEFT Cyclic
R mixes in RIGHT or LEFT cyclic as you apply RIGHT Rudder
-X adds LEFT Cyclic, +X adds RIGHT Cyclic

</p>

gmeyer-RCU 04-08-2012 08:42 AM

THANKS for the info on the mixes for the DX6i I will give them a try I just have to get used to programming it I am so used to my RD 8000.
Greg

dragnse7en 04-08-2012 09:58 AM

Umm okay - wow.

Yeah, I'm a nob pilot, and i was thinking about the same thing. I dosconnected the ailron rod (L and R) to shorten it too, but haven't had the time yet to do so yet.

This model, unlike my older walkera #4-3b is flyable. the former was well, an abortion from China.

I'll try to digest that other jargon posted above but I need a translator!!!! lol

gmeyer-RCU 04-21-2012 04:38 PM

OK I programed in the mixes on my DX6i I got to the last line SW GYRO in that line gyro is not listed.I am in airplane mode
are the mixes automatic or do you have to flip a switch.
I have had a computer radio for many years (an airtronics RD8000) I have had it ever since they first came out and with all of it's features I never even tried expo on any of my planes so using mixes is something new to me.
If nothing else I am learning about my radio and it is easy to program now that I am getting used to it. I put FLAP in the box because the switch does say flap+gyro on it maybe I am missing something here I did not get a chance to fly it this way.
Greg

kfrisbee 04-22-2012 04:40 AM

I have always programmed my radio in HELI mode. Many people will fly their beginner heli's in AIRPLANE mode because it's supposedly better control, but I'm pretty sure that's only with coaxial and 45deg flybarred helis.