RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   Eflite Blade CX (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/3570051-eflite-blade-cx.html)

1macaddict 01-03-2006 10:00 PM

RE: Eflite Blade CX

Hey tweaked21

That's an interesting link you found for the aluminum hub, it looks good. Here is more of a close up of mine without the blades. It wasn't difficult to make if you have access to a lathe and mill. (or a multi-axis CNC lathe...)

http://www.pbase.com/jsherm/image/54373834/large

tweaked21 01-03-2006 10:18 PM

That design you have there really looks good. Maybe you should show it to the person who posted in that forum I gave you the link to. Maybe they would be interested in your design as well.

Unfortunetly, I do not have access to any equipment like that. Even if I did, I wouldn't have any idea how to make anything useful! My brother, however, is a fabricator. Maybe when I go home this weekend I can get up to come up with an idea for me, and build it. I will post pics if we come up with something. Then again, if it's too much trouble, Ill just wait for the Blue Bling to come out :) !

EZ Money 01-03-2006 10:39 PM

Beautiful job.

Ironic, we pay a buck eighty for a little indoor, easy to fly helicopter then we need to spend an additional 25 grand for a CNC machine to fix it.

Boys and their toys.

cwmiller 01-04-2006 01:55 AM

sounds like your inner or outer shaft is loose near main gear.

astroflyer2 01-04-2006 08:28 AM

Nice job of machining that part...but is it really a fix? the top plastic piece breaks just as easily as the one you replaced with aluminum. In fact both broke on mine the first time.

hopefully the new part from horizon will address this and have both parts made of metal.

cheers
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"

bladecxnovice 01-04-2006 08:47 AM

Greetings everyone, I need advice.

After several successful flights of our new Blade CX pilot error crept in and my son and I crashed our beloved little bird. The top prop has totally seperated, bottom prop seems fine. Center post appears fine and stable. The counter weight bar (?) is bent. It still spins up even though the front body and back body are cracked (hit the pavement).

What parts do I need to get going again. Where is best to get them? I've read some about a new center / top hub that is suppose to be more robust than the current one, is this available yet?

THNX for the assist!

tweaked21 01-04-2006 09:16 AM

I'm not exactly sure which exact parts you need. You are calling them something other than I do..... but I do know you can get them from www.horizonhobby.com.

I believe most (if not all) the parts are in stock now on that site for the CX. If not, check eBay.

bladecxnovice 01-04-2006 01:56 PM

Essentialy, in looking at the online manual page 28 there is a picture of the Upper Main Rotor Blade. On ours, the blade and attached black post (connected to the blade by a black plastic vertical piece) has become detached from the rotor shaft (silver).

In looking at the exploded view on page 35 part 007 and all above it (blade, etc.) are detached from part 011 (shaft).

Help !

THNX

EZ Money 01-04-2006 02:16 PM

Sounds like another EFLH 1212 in progress.

cjg 01-04-2006 04:07 PM

Last night I did an oops and caught the side of my car with the top rotor while trying to land - first set of flights without my training gear. The landing gear broke and the battery holder broke as the mangled mess hit the pavement.

The flybar popped off the top. With the aluminum sleeve I discussed earlier there was no damage to either part - nor the blades!

With a little epoxy to the landing gear, etc I am back in the air until I can get the parts at the LHS.

robjae 01-04-2006 06:05 PM

My LHS just got a new shipment in, all of the flybar holders are glued in now.

tweaked21 01-04-2006 07:51 PM

My LHS's shipment didn't show up... i'm getting irritated now. It's been like 2 weeks since I've been able to fly. My parts that I ordered off of eBay will get here faster than buying them at my LHS, that's kinda pathetic.

Lazy Bee 01-04-2006 08:42 PM

I'll start by saying that all indoor flights have been successful. I'm using training gear. I do have the rotational drifting if I fly with the canopy on, & sometimes have a rather severe trembling to begin after a minute or two. Even with the canopy on, I've found that if I land, switch the transmitter off (even though I know I shouldn't with battery connected) & allow system to reset, then rotational trim settings return themselves to same as beginning of flight, and trembling will go away (both only temporarily).

As for outdoor flights...... Sometimes while inputting quite a bit of right cyclic, heli begins trembling rather vilolently. Once, at about 100 ft. altitude, it rolled over on right side & fell to ground, descending at about a 45 degree angle (winds not over 3 mph). Controls seemed to have no effect after descent began. But who knows? In the heat of battle, once things started happening, I'm not sure what I did! Broke top piece, CA'd back using thread, neat repair, made numerous more successful gentle flights in calm conditions & indoors. Later while flying outdoors again, at about 30 ft. altitude, full speed (which isn't much) downwind (not more than 2 mph), heli begin to shake & rolled right rapidly to inverted, & you can guess what happened then! Top piece broke in new place upon impact, so I know my original glue joint didn't give away.

Would appreciate several opinions from you heli experts!

lseguy 01-04-2006 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: lseguy

ORIGINAL: C.U._L8R

ya, I noticed that too, it starts shaking like crazy, then all of a sudden it stops.

kylehayes, a word of caution about the flybar that pops off. occasionally, if I hit the flybar just right, it will pop out, but the ball link will stay connected. if the rotor continues to spin, then it may take a chunk out of the top rotor blade before coming out. try this at your own risk.

Greetings:
I took my CX outside yesterday (calm, almost no wind at all) to test. 3rd flight total. Training gear installed, fresh battery. Got a good hover going at about 40-50 feet high. (Same height as the roofline of my 3 story townhome). Suddenly, I saw something small and black fly off, then the CX instantly went up slightly, then over on its back, over above a grasy area. Went straight down on it's back from 50 feet high. Fortunately it hit wet grass. Fly bar was slightly bent and had popped out but still connected to the ball link. And of course that top hub part snapped. The only part that was located in the actual parking lot (which is the location that the chopper was hovering when it went out of control) was a chunk of top rotor blade. I am almost positive the fly bar came loose, and smacked the top blade, causing the crash. It's important to note, that my LHS stated that removing that top small phillips screw (seen here http://www.pbase.com/jsherm/image/54264692/large) would prevent the oft occurring hub damage. It appears that removing that screw allowed the fly bar to come loose mid flight.

total damage: Both blades chipped, hub broken, small cracks in body. Mechanicals are fine.

After doing some more research, Im not so certain it was the flybar that popped out. Appears it was more likely a small gust of wind up high, causing blade clash?

http://tinyurl.com/9kg9d

1macaddict 01-04-2006 11:02 PM

astroflyer2, I don't disagree with you about the other part possibly breaking now. But, since I didn't have access to another original part I was able to get back to flying sooner which was my real goal. :-)

definitivedetour 01-05-2006 01:15 AM

Ive replaced the 4-1 unit, blades, and motors. Big new problem!! Everytime I try to lift off it spins in any given direction with pure violence... I assumed it was warped inner shaft but after dismantling the bcx I just wanted to see how the motors were working and to my suprise if i turn the heli left a little it trys to automically adjust the blade speeds but does so eractically.... should i replace the 4-1 unit again?

Any advice would be swell

guggie 01-05-2006 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: robjae

My LHS just got a new shipment in, all of the flybar holders are glued in now.
That's not great news. If they are glued in, then we can't use the aluminum ring mod to strengthen the part above the rotor pivot points! It won't fit over the top. Only the area below the rotor pivots can be strengthened. Back to the drawing board....

astroflyer2 01-05-2006 09:11 AM

Understand completely sir! they ARE addictive!

cheers
Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"

robjae 01-05-2006 10:53 AM

I used some Dave Brown Carbon Fibre Tape (CFTP-5220) and CA to strengthen my flybar mount. So far the only word of caution is not to put on too thick as it will impede the blades from pivoting. I did crash this morning, broke 3 blades and the lower blade pivot pins, the flybar was really bent and but still in place :)! I was looking at the aluminum replacement part on the other forum, but was unable to tell if the lower blade pivots were also aluminum, or if if was just the top flybar pivot, that would be useless to me, I need the whole part aluminum, along with the lower blade mount made of aluminum. These would allow me to go through blades, but as said before 2 screws, a pivot ball, and $1 is a lot better than what we have now.

bladecxnovice 01-05-2006 02:59 PM

Can anyone help with my earlier post...

THNX

Essentialy, in looking at the online manual page 28 there is a picture of the Upper Main Rotor Blade. On ours, the blade and attached black post (connected to the blade by a black plastic vertical piece) has become detached from the rotor shaft (silver).

In looking at the exploded view on page 35 part 007 and all above it (blade, etc.) are detached from part 011 (shaft).

Help !

THNX

Hunter850 01-05-2006 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: bladecxnovice

Can anyone help with my earlier post...

THNX

Help !

THNX

Not sure if this helps but the parts you are describing are two different pieces. Part oo7 is the inner shaft for the upper blade and part 011 is the outer shaft for the lower blade. 007 will go inside of the 011. Check to see if the retaining collor 036 is still on and tight. This is what hold the inner shaft 007 on.

bladecxnovice 01-05-2006 09:26 PM

THNX for the help!!!

I'm back up and running but I'm a little concerned about vibration. Anything I can do to diminish the vibration? Even in high revolutions the tail is shaking quite a bit.

THNX

Truggies 01-05-2006 11:20 PM

Sounds like something in bent or out of balance. check the inner and outer shafts. Also check the flybar to make sure its not bent.

Well I'm happy as can be. just got a boat load of parts for the cx today and got her back up and flying. Also picked up one of the new Police boby kits and thats really cool looking. I'll post some pics later tomorrow. Debating on picking up a new BCP the weekend so I can do some outdoor flying. Tried the outdoor flying today with the BCX and the least lil wind makes any input controll usless. The lil cx just goes where the wind wants it to. even the slightest wind is a problem. But if the wind was not blowing it handled just as it would in the house. The flying outside was the coolest and the neighbors were coming from everywhere asking all kinds of questions. I bet i could have sold 10 new CX's today if I had them. I told them all where to get one so I figure by next week the neighborhood will look like CX centrial.

Truggies 01-05-2006 11:34 PM

Truggies will now be known as Rotor Blade. just fits better

Blade Breaker 01-05-2006 11:39 PM

Lazy Bee
I fly my blade cx outdoors a lot and have found a few mods that really help
1) move the servo linkages out 1 hole (just 1 trust me)
2) tape a dime to the inside of the nose (it really helps forward flight into the wind) and it is easy to pull back little on the elevator to slow it down on the return flight.
3) shorten your flybar (I took 1 inch off each side on mine) still very stable but reacts much faster to input and and ends blade clash when the wind blows
4) No matter what anybody tells you 3mph breeze is about as much as this little bird can handle, anything more and you have about as much control as a leaf in the wind.
Good luck and happy flying