RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   are these blades any good for cp pro? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/7669097-these-blades-any-good-cp-pro.html)

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 04:09 PM

RE: are these blades any good for cp pro?

it happens like 3 or 4 times every flight, i did what the guys said in the forum, maybe tonight ill fly if it doesnt rain to see if what they said works

rotarydoc 07-14-2008 04:20 PM

Heli,

Yeah, see how it goes with the stuff they suggested. If you think it might be glitching, it couldn't hurt to try what I suggested, and unwind about a foot of the antenna wire and let it dangle down from the landing gear, to increase radio reception. This should help if it's a glitching issue.

Good luck with it, hope you can get it resolved soon.

Been flying the CX2 lately? How is it doing?

I may be able to get some flying time in tonight, I hope. The wind doesn't look too bad out there now...

Glenn

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 05:04 PM

and I undid some of the antenna wire and letting it dangle alittle, to see if that happens to help as well, that gaui is very nice been watching videos of it online. I was just flying the cx2 like 5 mins ago trying to do some nose in hovering because Im not to great with it and I deff need to put in as much practice as I can get with that. I actually lately have been having a blast with the cp pro, much more stable and fun to fly Im on about 6 packs now with the same set of blades thats amazing for me lol I can tell you one thing the cx2 deff helped me out alot with controls, I actually think I could go back to the 9 tooth pinion on the cp pro and be fine, I think most of my frustration is I was in a rush and I tryed flying it in very small places resulting in breaking blades, now I don't rush and go to the field and fly rather then a 8 by 8 area lol

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 05:05 PM

did it take you guys awhile with nose in hovering?

rotarydoc 07-14-2008 05:24 PM

Hey Heli,

Yeah, it took me a while! It's pretty difficult at first, everything is completely backwards on the right stick...but with practice, it becomes much easier.

I had (and still do, a little) a hard time with side in hovering, almost as much or more than nose in. Because with side in, you have to learn both sides, and they are completely opposite.

I was reading a heli magazine that made a really good point, and it's deff true for me; almost all heli pilots are better and/or more comfortable with one side or the other of the heli, and one direction or the other with turns...

Practice, practice, practice...is what it takes. Both on the sim and the real thing. Sometimes I spend a whole battery just hovering in all directions, without really flying anywhere...and still need more practice.

The sim really helps alot, because you can practice it over and over again, until you get comfortable, then the real thing gets easier.

Hope this helps,

Glenn

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 06:07 PM

yeah for the last day I have been trying to hover in all directions with my cx2, I wish they sold a smaller collective pitch heli, the size of the cx2, that wasnt so pricy and was ready to fly

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 06:21 PM

been looking at a firefox 100 but I havent seen to much about them

evdreamer 07-14-2008 06:27 PM

I also used to practice just hovering for packs at a time. I would try the nose in stuff with the CX2. Then try moving the CX2 in different locations while doing nose in. That is an easy way not to get bored with the CX2. Then once you master that you can try doing it while changing altitudes and trying to put the helicopter in the spot you want every time. You can practice that with all four upright positions. Before you try nose in I would recommend to get very comfortable with a side in hover. Then if you make a mistake you only have to do a 90 degree rotation instead of a 180 to go back to tail in. Some people recommend doing a figure 8 where the nose is pointing towards you at the middle crossing. Then you can get used to nose in. I was about 75 flights in before I tried nose in. And I had about 180 flights in with my 450 sized helicopters before I tried nose in with a CPP.

Nick

evdreamer 07-14-2008 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

been looking at a firefox 100 but I havent seen to much about them
In RCHeli magazine a pro flew a Firefox 100 and had a hard time with it. It is smaller than a CX and half the size of the Gaui 200 I think.

Nick

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 07:02 PM

wow thats really small lol, is there any others besides the gaui, and the quark that arent as expensive

evdreamer 07-14-2008 08:22 PM

I think CopterX has a new 200 sized helicopter. Their helicopters are clones of T-Rex's. Try looking for them at Ehirobo.com

Nick

rotarydoc 07-14-2008 08:37 PM

Hey Nick, Heli,

Well, I just got back from the first "real" flying on the Gaui...and I'm very impressed!

The flew the first half of the first pack with the training gear on, just to get a feel for it again. Then I took the training gear off, and WOW, what a difference!

It's going to take some getting used to, to say the least! Everything happens about twice as fast as it does on the B400...very, very responsive to any and all inputs!

I can honestly say that it is difficult to fly; but in a good way...it's difficult, but also very predictable, which is what makes it different (and a lot better) than the CPP, for example.

One thing I can't do is blame the heli....it does EXACTLY what you input to the sticks, and it does it NOW!!

It's going to make a better pilot out of me, that is for certain!

I flew the two packs I have without incident, but not without a couple of close calls. I can see where I will be crashing this heli more than the B400, that is for sure.

I'll say one thing, after I got done with the two packs in the Gaui, and then flew the B400, it was like slow motion!! It was incredibly easy to fly, in comparison. The Gaui WILL sharpen your pilot skills, that is for sure!!

I do think I am going to try to "tame" it a bit with pitch and throttle curves, since I have no intention of doing any 3D or aerobatics any time soon.

This is for sure, it's got so much power to weight ratio, and response, that by flying it, it seems VERY capable of 3D, it's just dying to go inverted and do loops and rolls!! I am sure a capable pilot could do amazing things with this little heli just the way it is!

Gotta go, don't want to time out..

Glenn

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 09:13 PM

that thing sounds amazing lol im jealous of all your heli's I don't think I could handle anything more responsive then the cp pro, but im sure there is a huge difference between the two in quality, im actually thinking about picking up a head locking gyro for the cp pro to keep the tail locked

HeliStyle 07-14-2008 09:15 PM

yeah I looked at copterx but the only thing they have is a kit, I wish someone made a size 200 ready to fly

rotarydoc 07-14-2008 09:25 PM

Hey Heli,

The Gaui is going to take some getting used to. I would say that the two CPP and Gaui are similar in response, but the Gaui is just more controllable than a stock CPP. I still remember flying my spare CPP right out of the box...and this is much better than that was, for sure. But, compared to the B400, it's a handful. It's just going to take some getting used to. It was also fairly windy when I flew it, I should have waited until the wind died down more.

The differece between the two in quality is night and day. No comparson whatsoever. But, look at the price difference too...

You can try a heading lock gyro like the G110, it helped my tail on mine, ESPECIALLY with a nice new tail motor. When I had the gryo set up, and a brand new tail motor, it had pretty darn good tail control....but it was short lived. Once the motor started getting a little "tired" ...it was back to it's old ways...wagging the tail all over the place...

Sounds like you are making good progress with your CPP, stick with it! Remember, if you can fly that heli, you will be able to fly almost any RC helicopter well! It's a good training tool, for sure. Just kinda steep learning curve, that's all...

Glenn

evdreamer 07-14-2008 10:04 PM

Glenn,

Good to hear you like the Gaui without the training gear.

Cool to hear that the Gaui will make you a better pilot. Since it is so responsive good thing the tail holds like it is supposed too. That will be one less thing to worry about.

That helicopter should handle a crash good. You don't have to worry about the carbon frame or the aluminum parts. My aluminum head handled my three crashes and still looked perfect. The only thing it sounds like the see saw arms and the normal bent parts in a crash is all you have to worry about.

That is cool it has a high power to weight ratio. And you aren't even using a three cell yet. That would add some serious power. It is probably the Ferrari of helicopters. LOL

It was windy out side today, so it was pushing my helicopter around with my normal throttle curve. But when I went into idle up with a higher throttle curve it handled the wind pretty good. I even went up higher were the wind was stronger and it didn't seem to push the helicopter that much.

Nick

tyrick69 07-15-2008 04:50 AM

ORIGINAL: HeliStyle

rotarydoc seems like the gaui will be your new fav heli lol sounds like it is an amazing heli for sure, yeah to me what is happening when im flying is a glitch from the fm radio, but the guys over at the cp pro thread said they think its the swash plate binding up, so they recommend me to raise it alittle bit and oil up the main gear shaft, and see if that helps, but to me when flying it feels like a glitch but I could be wrong
I remember that glitch well. My CP used to do that all the time before I replaced the radio and receiver with Spektrum gear. I was flying my friends beat up stock CP the other day and it was hopping all over the place. Mine's been flying so glitch free I almost forgot how it used to be. I've heard all sorts of theories on this from radio interference to dirty pots on the transmitter as well as the batteries being lose in the stock transmitter. Some people say that putting a thin piece of cardboard between the battery door and the batteries in the stock transmitter solved this problem. The batteries aren't real tight and they can actually slip out a little and lose contact. The cardboard helps prevent that from happening. You could also try opening up the transmitter and cleaning the pots with some contact cleaner. It definately sounds like you're having the same sort of radio glitch that I was having and the only way to completely solve it is replace the radio and receiver with something better.

HeliStyle 07-15-2008 02:30 PM

yeah I prob won't uprgrade the cp pro to spectrum just to much money for such a heli, Ill prob just upgrade to a better heli eventually

rotarydoc 07-15-2008 04:53 PM

Nick,

I've got really good weather here, so I hope to get some flying in tonight. I still only have 2 packs for the Gaui, so I'll be doing some experimenting with some throttle and pitch curves, it's a bit too touchy on the throttle/altitude stick. I would like to tame that down a bit. I guess a little less throttle curve, and a bit more pitch at mid stick would help it a bit. I am at about 3/4 stick at a hover right now, which is higher than I am used to. And it is really sensitive in that last 1/4 of the travel to full power.

That is good to know about the aluminum parts not breaking/bending. Some of the guys on the HF forums say that it's a pretty tought little bird, being so lightweight, not too much usually gets bent or broken. But apparently, what does bend very easily is the feathering screws...they are kinda like feathering shafts, but the screw that holds the grips on is what takes all the impact when the blades hit something. I have one set of 10 extra screws, but that's it. They are practically impossible to find, everyone is out of them. I can get stronger ones, but I don't think that's a good thing, because the stock ones are soft metal, and bend easily, so the screws take most of the abuse, rather than the aluminum stuff.

I couldn't even imagine this heli with a 3 cell pack! I am nowhere near that yet! Helihobby sells a Gaui 200 combo kit, and it comes with a 3 cell...glad I didn't go that route!

One of the coolest things about the smaller helis, that you don't really think about is that the motor and ESC cools off really quickly after a flight. It takes about half as long as my B400 electronics to cool down after a flight.

Let me get going before I time out..

Glenn

evdreamer 07-15-2008 05:18 PM

Glenn,

If you want to get into 3D everything is about 3/4 stick and up for upright flying. That is what I am flying right now and it feels right at home after flying with it for awhile.

That is how a lot of people feel about the feathering and mainshafts. I have seen stronger ones, but everyone recommends the softer ones because they bend and not something else.

That is cool the electronics cool down faster. I was curious on how hot the servos got after a flight, so I used a cheap infrared temp gauge and my cyclic servos were 100 degrees. But it is hot out here. I am thinking about getting a heat sink for my motor since the outside doesn't spin. And that might help cool it down some more.

I got two flights in so far. I had a few no hand hovers with a lot of wind. The higher headspeed is really helping out. When I add negative pitch the helicopter makes a cool screeching sound. Nothing bad happens, but it sounds like it is.

Have a good day.

Nick

HeliStyle 07-15-2008 05:26 PM

I went out and did some hovering with the cp pro, but had some problems, I glued the tail boom into the main frame so it wouldntnt move, and it was glued slanted lol so the tail was bent tot he right, then I had glitching problems again went through two packs and it glitched like 3 times. was a nice hovering session and After 4 flights I need a new set of blades. its a record for me lasting that long with the blades, Im not sure how I broke them I think I lightly hit the ground with them and didnt even notice. So I have to adjust a couple of things before I fly again. I have been looking at a few heli's I just want something small so I can fly in the backyard and dont have to worry about going to the field all the time, I have been looking at a SKYARTEC WASP V3 they look nice but I can't find much on them.

evdreamer 07-15-2008 05:48 PM

Congrats on going longer with out breaking any blades. With time you will break less blades.

Just for anyone who wanted too know that doing an auto in idle up with a high head speed makes it a lot easier. When I did one I forgot I was still in idle up and flipped the throttle hold off and it spun around and hit my hose on the patio. Luckily there was no hole in the hose and the helicopter is fine. But I learned my lesson.

Nick

HeliStyle 07-15-2008 07:53 PM

its nice not breaking blades as much I did a total of 4 flights which is 8 battery packs and then broke them, the damage is so tiny too, just a tiny nick in the corner of one of the blades. I would really like a 200 size heli something the size of the cx2, the honey bee king 2 is still prob my next purchase, but I really like this heli I have been looking at today its a 200 size and is around 200 dollars the SKYARTEC WASP V3

evdreamer 07-15-2008 08:26 PM

Do you have a link for that helicopter?

Nick

rotarydoc 07-15-2008 08:57 PM

Hey Heli,

Congratulations on your flying! Sounds like you are improving quite a bit...

Yeah, like Nick said, you won't break as many blades soon, as you get more practice in. It sounds like the blade damage is minor, can you still use them?

It sounds like the Honeybee King 2 might be a good choice for your next heli. Is there enough room to fly it in the backyard? I am guessing that it is about the same size as the CPP?

You will love the belt driven tail.

I had a great flying session tonight, flew the Gaui, the B400 and the Quark! There was like zero wind, and I took advantage the best I could!

Glad to hear you are progressing with the CPP so well, keep up the practice, and it'll get easier and easier!

Glenn