RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   E-Flite Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/)
-   -   Changing Flybar paddles on Blade 400..how do you do it??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/e-flite-helicopters-447/9952808-changing-flybar-paddles-blade-400-how-do-you-do.html)

smaze17 08-22-2010 08:26 PM

Changing Flybar paddles on Blade 400..how do you do it???

I purchased the carbon fiber upgrade for the paddles and absolutely cannot get the stock ones off. I unscrewed the allen bolt and they are really tight. Is there
a trick to this?

Thanks in advance!

Spence

JPEE 08-22-2010 10:54 PM

RE: Changing Flybar paddles on Blade 400..how do you do it???

ORIGINAL: smaze17

I purchased the carbon fiber upgrade for the paddles and absolutely cannot get the stock ones off. I unscrewed the allen bolt and they are really tight. Is there
a trick to this?

Thanks in advance!

Spence
Hey Spence,
If you have loosened the Allen screws and the metal body won't come off the flybar then the factory may have a added a drop of CA glue to hold it in place in the flybar threads. You can first try taking a lighter and putting some heat to the flybar end where the paddle body is (after you have unscrewed the plastic paddle first!) for a short time and see if that breaks it loose. If not, then grab the paddle body with pliers and grab the flybar with another set and break them loose from each other, then they should unscrew by hand with little issue. When you have them off measure the length of each side of the flybar from the cage and make sure they are the same length "before" screwing on the new carbon fiber paddles. Then do the same with the paddles. Screw them on and "make sure" their distance in the same out from the cage because BALANCE is the big word here. "Be sure" to add a drop of Loctite on the Allen screws on the new paddles, this will ensure they stay in position. To back up a step! sorry, BEFORE you Loctite them, to make sure they are horizontal with the flybar cage. Get them to where you think they are level, then back away from the heli and look at the head from about two feet away and see if all look straight and level.
Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

JPEE

tandem4 08-23-2010 12:30 AM

I got myself a set of flybar paddle guages. They look the same as a pitch guage but just no angle graduation but has the V-notched sliders. Put the baldes on zero pitch, lock the flybar, slip them on and eyeball across the top of both and small adjustments can be made. Look on the Rons Helipro website for these guages.

smaze17 08-23-2010 06:21 AM

Thanks fellas.....I'll give it a try.

Spence

JPEE 08-23-2010 07:57 AM

smaze,

I would submit a guy can't have't many RC tools but..............this just my two cents, I do not see a need for a flybar paddle pitch guage. You can set that by eye with no problem, save those monies for parts and other neccessities.

JPEE