Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Nitroplanes RQ11 Raven

Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM
papajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes RQ11 Raven

You Flordia guys got it made! Hey, that monster motor has a home already and it's going to
be a HUGE one! Take a look, as if this Turnigy works out as the power test have showed,
you may be interested in one for one of your GIANT projects.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9933628/tm.htm
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 AM
dorsai

Here's some photosI discovered over on the DIY Drones website,whichshowcase
some modificationsa firm is developing for the Nitroplanes RQ-11, including a
camera pod which drops out of the bottom as well as detachable wing panels;

If you're interested in learning more about these mods, check our DIY Drones, or visit the firm's website - Aerosight.com

Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
TexasWillis

That is one of the best ideas I have seen. I'd like to see how you got the pod to lower, pan, and tilt. I don't really see the need for cargo tabs on the wing joints but it's still a nice mod. I looked into the idea of vacuum forming a nose cone. I started thinking about how the conical shaped nose would deform the camera picture. I was thinking of having the camera mounted on the bottom of the plane and mod a way to lower landing skids before I touch down. I like the way AeroVironment (www.avinc.com) has their rq-11b stall just before landing. It’s designed to break apart when it hits the ground.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
TexasWillis

papajeff,

You had a great idea for making the wings removable on the RQ-1 Predator. You have any plans for breaking down the RQ-11 Raven wings? I drive a 2010 Tundra so transporting my Raven fully assembled isn't a problem. Yet, I like the idea of being able to break it down so I can put both the plane and ground station in the same pelican case.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:59 AM
aerocamera

Hi,....
how are you?
I am from Brazil....
I am building this kit from Nitroplanes...
do you have the information regarding the real one, with 60-90 minutes of autonomy? Electric motor, battery and propeller ?
I would like to have the best rabge possible on mine.
thanks a lot
Cesare

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
dorsai

The removable wings are the work of this firm>  http://www.Aerosight.com    I've contacted them for
pricing and availability details and will share their respponse as soon as I receive one.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
papajeff

ORIGINAL: TexasWillis

papajeff,

You had a great idea for making the wings removable on the RQ-1 Predator. You have any plans for breaking down the RQ-11 Raven wings? I drive a 2010 Tundra so transporting my Raven fully assembled isn't a problem. Yet, I like the idea of being able to break it down so I can put both the plane and ground station in the same pelican case.
Willis,

With my Raven kit the "one piece" wing does not have ailerons andis removable. It is an interesting idea to think
about adding ailerons and modding the wing to allow it to break down into three sections, just like the actual, real
Raven UAV. The link from Dorsai; http://www.Aerosight.comis most interesting.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 AM
erec11

Hello to All, i have been watching this forum in order to have some ideas on how to make this bird usefull for my UAV project. So the first job to do was to make this a UAV it was to put all the electronics that im going to use inside the fuselage. I building this all around this Ikarus OSD and Autopilot (http://www.electronicarc.com/catalog...roducts_id=535) so i have to find i way to put inside all this.
5700mah 3s Lipo for the engine and RX
1000mah 3s for the video and camera
50a Current sensor
700mw viddeo transmitter
10hz MTK GPS
2,4ghz 8ch Receiver
FMA IR Sensor
TR 35-36B 1300kv Brushless Outrunner with a 9x6 prop
50A ESC
8CH PPM Encoder

...And i whant to make this to be very easy to access so i have to make aditional hatches in order to use all the inside space. so this was what i have donne....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80297.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1562781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29995.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1562782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86470.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1562783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys48816.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1562784  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM
erec11

Some more photos and my Ground Station that has a 7'' monitor, 2 video receiver (1,2ghz and 2,4ghz) some outputs for connect a video recorder or a camera, 2 voltage disply for the 11,1v lipo etc. I starting to make the mod on the wing because this Ikarus Autopilot need the ailerons on the wing so i have to make this mod.

Name:	Xu62657.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1562786   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44688.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1562787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93637.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1562788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46469.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1562789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84474.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1562790  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
evilmacaw

dorsai,

i have been in contact with Dave at Aerosight Innovations also and there some exciting things in the works from them with the Nitroplanes RQ-11 model a bit of brainstorming between us and the result is that the 3 piece wing storage will become available soon along with other improvements in the future

I just got word from Dave of Aerosight innovations that one of his co conspirators will be offering the wing joiner set and other improvement parts for the Nitro RQ-11 on e-bay very soon !!!

OH YES !!!

i will be posting the listing After i get mine ordered first LOL the set should consist of the wing joiners , new dihedral sticks made of G-10 , a new motor mount plate and hopefully the tail boom push button quick release for those of us who want the most compact storage .

the quick release if offered will work with the original pull/pull or the boom mounted servo designs ,i sourced out a special push button set up for Dave that leaves the inside of the tail boom unobstructed inside but for a .010" ring inside !

while it may not be the military high Vee break apart design it will allow you to store in about the same size as the original shipping box !!

I like the way this model is coming of "age " with these after market parts !!!

the ball turret 360* x 180* camera mount also become available but that is not a sure thing .

will keep you RQ-11 modelers in the loop as i get more information !!

Name:	Yw67263.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1562810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11040.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1562811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23437.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1562812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65215.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1562813  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 AM
TexasWillis

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking about buying another one and putting it away for a few months. After all the great mod ideas start to become available I'll put most of them on that one. I'm also very imterested in seeing a build thread for putting ailerons on this bad boy. I don't know the first thing on how to do that. Y'all are all great builders. Please keep up the great postings.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
erec11

I have donne that modification buti just cant get the pictures out of this cellphone.... but i will find a way then i will post them.

Ok i have take them out, so i can show what have i donne. Im just waityng for the mini servo cover&holder.

Name:	Ca80804.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1562853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17143.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1562854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98250.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1562855  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM
papajeff

Erec11,

Nice work on your aileron mod for the Raven, also your ground station and electronics package is impressive!

Do you have a link to the DIY thread that explains more about the ball turret camera mount using the paint ball hopper?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Aerosight

Hello everyone!!

Sorry for the delay spreading the word but we finally wrapped up a kit for you, (As the buds have nicely mentioned!!)

Anyways, go to aerosight.com, select the link on the left for Kits / FPV and locate the kits there. We are selling for $30 which includes shipping etc.. We have started cutting a batch already.. Some new mods soon to follow as well. Maybe help to add others ideas to the kits as well to help everyone out and do this quickly!!

Dave
Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM
evilmacaw

i ordered my sets first thing this morning as soon as i got the message [8D]
Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
rynkan

Hey dudes,
Im new here so dont kill me, I've been wanting to "build" an airplane for quite some time and I cant wait anymore...

But I need some help, I went out on ebay and got me an RQ-11 now the seller has recomended me some additional items and i just wanted to chck with you guys first before i go out and buy things i dont need/that are wrong.

Quote:
1 * KD 3628S 1140KV Outrunner Motor - http://bit.ly/gIYrHD - $27
1 * EMAX 40A ESC - http://bit.ly/gNF4rT - $43
1 * 11.1V 3S 2200Mah20/50C LiPo Battery - http://bit.ly/ijdtLa - $24
2 * SG-90 9 Gram Micro Servo - http://bit.ly/fa7sYg - $9
is this an good/reasonable setup? will it hold for then i feel confident installing a camera?

What else do i need :$
Old 02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
papajeff

Rynkan,

With regard to your item list, I would suggest a motor that can produce from 600-800 watts and an
ESC at about 60amps. A 3 to 4cell Li-Po with around 4000mAh would give you longer flight times.
If you plan to set up your elevator & rudder with the pull-pull controls, you might want to get some
more powerful servos than these 9g micro servos.

Just follow this build thread for the basic assembly of your Raven and do not hesitate to ask
questions. If there is a local Hobby Shop in your area or if there is a local flying field, you should
try to hook up with them and ask for some assistance. I do not believe that you would be refused.
Also, check out;http://www.nitroplanes.com/ and
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_index.aspand compare the shipping cost to Sweden.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM
rynkan

wow, thats a fast reply thanks!

the thing is when i tried placing an order from nitroplanes i got a suggested shippingcost around US170 and that made me go ebay'ing for alternatives.

I'll be checking out hobbyking.com

thanks agian!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM
erec11

Thats usual from Nitroplanes!! They charge me 125usd to ship this to Portugal! Then i went for a ebay seller and pay 56usd!!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:41 PM
papajeff

Rynkan,

I forgot about HK having a warehouse in Germany.......that really should save you a great deal of money
on shipping. That's a good thing!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Aerosight

Hey Guys and everyone who's ordered the take down kit...
We FINALLY received the quick releace buttons for the tail boom.

I noticed a few mis-quotes or mis-understandings listed by people excited about the kit when I first began to set it up for myself.. It may be possible to use the pull pull cables with my boom removal kit but i actually made it that way by mounting my servos in the tail boom itself. this allows for a simple unplug of a servo extension within the boom to take down the tail system and keeps it from having wires etc dangling all over. Mybe it can be used with the cabling but I think it'd be a pain with cables tethering it to the fuse.. If yours has cables and you do my kit, please post whether it can be done ok and details of pros and cons..

The other thing is the Dihederal bars. they had to be made of strong PVC etc due to the G10 being .06 in thickness and if glued in pairs was still to thin to match the wooden version it came with. We dont glue our bars in, in case of crash we simply put in a new one if the wing gets trashed in that area. If you glue it in and crash in a way that snaps off that bar, you can't re-assemble it. you have to scrap the wing because the bar can't be removed. Anyways, the bar is made of plastic that is the same thickness of the wooden one supplied by Nitro. If you've bought a kit already and am concerned, don't be, use the stock ones or the ones we send you. When o If we locate the thickness we want to use we will send the current buyers the upgraded version for free. I take extremely good care of my customers and you all will even have my personal cell phone number. In fact, a few of you have been on the line for over and hour at a time, which I love... "I must be an RC Junkie...I need an intervention!"

For those of you chomping for the items, they're coming. Please be patient (I'm getting married) and am very busy and am contracting the cutting etc. Should be sending them out in the next few days I think. buttons took awhile to get and I made some fixes to the cnc cuts etc to get it right.

PS: Wait till ya see my new simple system "HAWK" FPV plane!! dirt cheap to build and works great too!! Will post it on the next build of it.

Dave  Aerosight.com
Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Aerosight

Oh, also located a sweet smaller DVR type of recorder....roughly $110 w/camera thatis on a cable..Not a USB camera but something you can make a pigtail on your own camera and record on board...VERY compact (About the size of a pack of cigs) w/a monitor on board. Many use the go pro or Flycam One etc. But in some cases you may need to locate the bulk of the system to the rear etc. this allows you to do that!
    [*]Record on board to get rid of video drop "Glitches" and use a "Y" to still transmit the live video feeds you want.[*]USe a battle switch etc to use more than one CCTV camera. Have two forward chip cameras wired so that one is a standard pilot view with 8 or 4MM and another with a stationary zoom. This is a cheap and very light way to end up with a zoom lense that is switched vs transitioned to.[/list]Love this stuff!!

Dave
Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Aerosight

Hey everyone!!

The link to the mini DVR as promised!! http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/bef2/
I am a distributor of CCTV and this is better than my typical wholesale price. I don't own this exact brand so don't know how good it is, but should be ok..

NOTICE!!!
UPDATEONRQ-11 MODS!!!

I had a great response to the take down mod for the RQ-11 and have received a ton of orders as well.
I do however have a problem...
When I advertised the kits I called them sets. My version of set is enough to do both wings. TheCNC contractorsversion of a set was two ribs, only enough for one side of the wing! Soo, whatI had to doto take care of the current batch of customers was to personally invest $30 per set ordered to get the CNCcontractors the$60 each to get enough parts foreach plane set I havesold! UGH!And I offered free shipping and the button spring I'm including.Go Figure!
Additionally Ifound out thatthey aren'table to make thethickness of dihederal insert I needed and hoped for. Not a huge issue on that really. I personally use the ones supplied.Iwill besending enough parts to dotheir planes because that's what I personally offered, and that's whatthey paid forand expected it. Please pass on though, that I have raised the prices, needless to say, to $60 and is adjusted onmy website.
Those who have ordered have been askedto bear with me for a bit, I will try to figure out an alternative for the G10 Dihederal bar I expected to offer. When That's figured out I will sendthem all a set either with the next batch I sell or in time for the set we are making forthem this week. For nowthey can use the one's inthe Nitro Planeskit..

As it stands, a kit when sent, will consist of (4) G10 Wing Ribs,(1) G10Motor mount and (1) Steel Button spring for the tail tube. The current orders I have recieved payment for will get the kit at $35 but I obviously will be marking the kit up to roughly $60 to get it right, unless the CNC guys can cut me a sweeter deal.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Aerosight

NEVERMIND!!!
took care of business today.. A few kits are Back ordered already, he forgot to tell me when I picked up the kits..

Kit will still be $30 (Haven't ficxed the price on my website yet though)

Kit includes:

Shipping
Spring Button
(4) G10 wing ribs
(1) G10 Motor plate

*** Does not come with the dihedral bar (Use the one the RQ-11 kit came with.

What a relief!!

Dave

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM
evilmacaw

the wing joiners are fantastic and now Aerosight.com is offering the Mil style belly skid in fiberglass or ABS plastic and a new hatch lock setup at Very reasonable prices !!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.