Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Carbon T-28

Old 06-16-2016, 08:25 AM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hah, my steering servo burned out 20+ flights ago. just unplugged the servo and adjusted the linkage for straight and off we go. when I want to turn I give up E and rudder, works great.

Joe
Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Harvey Mushman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
I simply used my radio to shut off the nose gear steering when the gear is up.!!
Unfortunately that didn't work for me. When the gear retracts the slider moves slightly (or tries to) along the steering arm as the arm arcs. The slider would cock and stick on the steering arm and load down the retract as it tried to swing. This binding burned out the retract and not the steering servo. I also noticed that the slider can catch the side of the retract frame mounting flange while arcing out during gear extension, so I trimmed the edge of the flange so the slider would clear it. With that and the brass slide setup on the new retract I have been good so far. Although I've heard the retracts can be problematic anyway, independent of the binding nose gear steering arm slider.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default T-28 Retract Failure

Some how managed to create two posts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-32.jpg
Views:	1376
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2168297   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-33.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2168298   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-34.jpg
Views:	1372
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2168299   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-35.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2168300   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-36.jpg
Views:	1347
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2168301   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-37.jpg
Views:	1337
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	2168302   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-38.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	2168303   Click image for larger version

Name:	T28-39.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	2168304  

Last edited by rossmick; 06-16-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:43 PM
rossmick

Default T-28 Retract Failure

Well, I should not have said anything about the gear. Today on the first flight after 3 touch and goes, the left main gear failed to extend. Stuck the plane on its wing tip, cycled the gear and it came down. So off I went and foolishly retracted the gear on takeoff. Guess what happened next, yes, no gear extension on the left main. Careful landing and nothing got too scraped up as I used 1/2 flap to keep from dragging the outboard corner. I took the gear off the plane found the flange was broke off on one side and tested with the servo tester and nothing worked.

Additionally, I found that the screws that hold the side frames together were loose and some backed quarter of the way out. In looking at these photos you will see that the gear does not use current cut off, but dual magnet sensors at the travel extremes. Great idea and vast improvement over the current cutoff idea. The red board you see is the controlling circuit with the magnets and all the circuitry built in. Took the gear apart and tested and motor ran fine. Manually held board in place and the gear worked perfectly. As gear is physically destroyed I kept testing and found after reassembling the gear that it can overdrive the magnets and get stuck in the ends of the travel path. You can wedge the follower and the gear will complete the cycle. Also disconnecting the power and the gear will cycle some of the times.

You get what you pay for, and this $40 gear is under designed with plastic side frames. Also no thread lock on the bolts allowed them to loosen. I intend to open the circuit board and get a look at the components just out of curiosity.

Called Darrel at Sierra gear and left a message to see if he would be interested in building a metal version with actual working struts. These will be pneumatic and he may already have these in stock as these electric gear are an exact copy of his gear design with the circuit board attached and an electric motor. These won't be $40 gear, but if he will provide them they will be reliable as I use his gear in all my large scale planes.

No gear from Horizon until mid August so I have joined the grounded T-28 club. I am starting to see if I can buy a gear from another grounded member in the club to see if I can get back in the air. If not, time to forget the T-28 for awhile.

Last edited by rossmick; 06-16-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:43 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hopefully not August on the gear! I'm grounded also waiting on replacement retracts as all three of mine failed on the same day. Fortunately I was able to belly land on grass so no damage. When I asked how long they would be out of stock they told me till the end of June. Oh well, we will see.

Sierra retracts would be a great upgrade. Their stuff is the absolute best and I would have a set in a heartbeat if they come up with one.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:50 AM
Steve Collins

I had a flap servo fail before the first flight. Horizon couldn't even tell me the torque value on the stock servos so I upgraded to Futaba S9650 digital minis and have no issues whatsoever with flaps.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 AM
rossmick

Steve

Aug. is what Horizon told me on the gear. Maybe there are different schedules based on time you called in, but I doubt it as he looked up the back order delivery date and that is what it said. I decided to just order the gear as they also told me there was no difference in priority between warranty and orders.
Darrel is not answering his phone, pretty much as normal, so I will also email him. They might be out for the holidays. He does have a set of T-28 gear for the ESM plane, but no dimensions on the photos so I can't tell if they will fit in the wheel wells. Price is $480, so this would be a sizable investment in a foam airplane, plus the tank, line, connectors, fill value and pressure gauge. Might be better to just sell the plane to someone who wants backup parts for their crashed one.

Thanks for the info on the flap servo. I will cross check to see if I can match something in JR or Hitec. If I decide to keep the plane,I may just change them out before I get a failure.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Steve Collins

That's really odd because I ordered mine last Monday. The nose retract arrived yesterday and the mains arrived today.

I have a new mod for everyone. Upper gear doors. At the base of the door where it attaches to the wing are two plastic pins. These break off pretty easily. Don't toss that door! Had one break one of the pins. I cut off the remaining pin and started pilot holes with an exacto blade. Drilled a hole (5/64ths bit) where the pins used to be and inserted a length of 2/56 rod making a permanent fix! Gonna try and upload a picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160618_225541[1].jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2168630  
Old 06-18-2016, 11:16 PM
rossmick

Steve

Yep, already did that one. Glad you got your gear, maybe there is some hope for this plane yet.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:49 AM
rossmick

Steve
Even with your speedy delivery, I have decided to go with Darrell. I am mystified why I was told that delivery date.
I have heard from Darrell and I am sending the gear to him tomorrow. He will make them pneumatic, if he can, as he does not like electric. I hope to know what he decides in a week or so.
With some real suspension gear under this plane it would be an outstanding performer. Also, it will be interesting to see the weight difference in the gear and how the plane handles it.

If I get his gear, I will then make up the gear doors to fit. They will be either fiberglass layup or ply. Most likely ply for the first go just to get a prototype for fiberglass. I do love a challenge.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Harvey Mushman

rossmick,

Maybe others would like Sierra gear as well. If Darrel makes several sets during one setup the price for each set should be lower.

In my case I do like electric retracts when high quality components are used, but electric retracts have a bad name due to so many cheap unreliable units that are out there. If you pay for well made electrics from Germany, France or Spain they are more reliable than air. I have some air retracts in a Mustang that I removed the air actuators and replaced with Lado electric actuators. There have hundreds of cycles on them and never a problem, and I love not having the control box and especially not having the air tank, valves and tubing. The Electron retracts are even better, however more pricey. But to each his own. I'm not knocking air, I just like e'tracts better in electric powered models.

So, if enough people go in on these then I'll go in too, and I'll just replace the air actuator with some really good electric actuators.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 PM
rossmick

Harvey

I'm with you on electrics. I would prefer them myself, however, I have not had the success that you have had. I do not know of the gear you mentioned, so could you pass along their web address and I will look them up.

I believe Darrell sees the market for the gear. My bet, if he can make them, is that he will add them to his available list.
If I can get a list of buyers for a mass order I will be happy to pass it on to him. I don't think the Z carbon gear is that far off of the ESM, but who knows
I have had Darrell's gear converted to electric, but with limited success as they all use the over current cut off controller. Problem here is if there is any restriction during the cycle the gear stops mid travel. This magnetic sensor concept looks to be a much better solution, but seems to have its problems as well. Could be low cost is driving the circuit design and is causing the issues. I will try and remove the coating on the board and get a look at the circuit. Maybe it just needs some higher quality components and sensors for the application? I had also thought about a light emitter sensor like the garage door openers, as a method as well, but never looked in to it.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Steve Collins

Definitely interested in a set from Sierra.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Harvey Mushman

Originally Posted by rossmick
Harvey

I'm with you on electrics. I would prefer them myself, however, I have not had the success that you have had. I do not know of the gear you mentioned, so could you pass along their web address and I will look them up.

I believe Darrell sees the market for the gear. My bet, if he can make them, is that he will add them to his available list.
If I can get a list of buyers for a mass order I will be happy to pass it on to him. I don't think the Z carbon gear is that far off of the ESM, but who knows
I have had Darrell's gear converted to electric, but with limited success as they all use the over current cut off controller. Problem here is if there is any restriction during the cycle the gear stops mid travel. This magnetic sensor concept looks to be a much better solution, but seems to have its problems as well. Could be low cost is driving the circuit design and is causing the issues. I will try and remove the coating on the board and get a look at the circuit. Maybe it just needs some higher quality components and sensors for the application? I had also thought about a light emitter sensor like the garage door openers, as a method as well, but never looked in to it.
Here are some Lado actuators that do not require the control box. They replace the air cylinder. Just plug them directly into your receiver gear channel with a Y extensions.

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/3-rs666
Old 06-23-2016, 03:01 PM
ashworthb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a T-28 Carbon Z and purchased a couple of e-flite 22.2 volt 5000mah batteries that I can't figure out how to charge on my Cell Pro Powerlab 8. Any one know how to set up this charger for these batteries? I appreciate the help.

Bob
Old 06-24-2016, 09:17 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Default Carbon Z T-28 Retracts

Hello,

I have looked at the T-28 Retracts that Mr. Mickelson sent to us.
It looks like we have a good match for a Pneumatic Retract to replace the Electric Stock Units.

But before we go any further, I need to see what Volume of Interest there is.
We also need to take a survey and see if we will just use the stock wire struts or spend more and make some oleo struts.

The ESM T-28 Retracts and Struts are way to big for this plane even though it is a similar size plane.

I don't cruise around RCU much, so if you are interested in a Reliable Replacement, give me a call and
we can discuss the Options.

Regards,
Darrell Tenny ( Sierra Giant Scale )
440.476.4885 Phone
Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Harvey Mushman

Originally Posted by BigRetracts-RCU
Hello,

I have looked at the T-28 Retracts that Mr. Mickelson sent to us.
It looks like we have a good match for a Pneumatic Retract to replace the Electric Stock Units.

But before we go any further, I need to see what Volume of Interest there is.
We also need to take a survey and see if we will just use the stock wire struts or spend more and make some oleo struts.

The ESM T-28 Retracts and Struts are way to big for this plane even though it is a similar size plane.

I don't cruise around RCU much, so if you are interested in a Reliable Replacement, give me a call and
we can discuss the Options.

Regards,
Darrell Tenny ( Sierra Giant Scale )
440.476.4885 Phone
Hi Darrell, a couple of questions: Will the retract frames match the openings and mounts in the Carbon-Z T-28, or will custom fitting be required? Will they be available without air cylinder actuators so reliable electric actuators can be installed? There are a lot of unreliable electric actuators out there. I would obtain my own to confirm I get reliable units, so I would want to purchase the retracts without actuators.
Thank you for offering to make/modify existing retract to fit the Carbon-Z T-28. I am interested, so if they will fit without too much modification to the airframe then I will want to be on the list of recipients for retracts with oleo struts.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:22 AM
rossmick

Default T-28 guality gear.

All

Here is my email to Darrell. With reliable gear this would be an outstanding plane.

Darrell

Got your post to RCU and I would want oleo struts. No sense getting great gear and use their cheap struts that all the attach points break off.

Please build me a set ASAP.

Thanks, and have a great day.

Last edited by rossmick; 06-24-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Steve Collins

I am in for a set with oleo scale struts as well. Definitely needed for this plane!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Steve Collins

Any further news on retracts and struts from Sierra?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Steve Collins
I am in for a set with oleo scale struts as well. Definitely needed for this plane!
I am in.........larry
Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 PM
rossmick

Steve

Last week I talked to Darrell and he is finishing another project and will start on the gear after it is finished. He said gear is doable, but wonders how many will pay the much higher price for the gear. I will keep in touch.

Added this thought, if anyone is interested in the Sierra gear you need to contact Darrell ASAP. The more orders he has for the gear will expedite the manufacture of them. I am biased here as I would like to get the gear right now and get this plane back in the air.

Last edited by rossmick; 07-28-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 AM
uas

Default Carbon T-28 FPV

recently added Xenon flash light and FPV camera. http://dronemission.com/find/xenon.php
Check out this flight video, the flash light (like a camera flash), can be seen from a distant, especially evenings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGHwQUWTZ5o
Old 08-30-2016, 07:55 AM
birthwaite

HI totally agree the receiver should not power the retracts - deadly. I tried another solution since I dont like having two batteries. Used a Castle creations 10amp BEC wired into the battery line (for power) and connected this to the gears via a three way splitter having cut the yellow control from the Castle BEC leaving red and black . Thus Castle and receiver BEC's powered from the 6cell battery. Then took ONLY the yellow control line from the receiver and sent this to the three way splitter. Works fine and no second battery to worry about charging.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:44 AM
gowfster

Originally Posted by rcpete347
HI, the speed controller has A B C, the motor has colours, how do you match them together.
Rcpete
Did you happen to document the A/B/C vs Motor Colors? Would be good to have on the response thread to help future folks (including me )
Thanks,
Tim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.