Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
 Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System >

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Super Sportster EP with Modified Power System

Interesting thread!

Can this airframe be purchased bare? Or does one have to buy the brushed power system and chuck it?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It comes with the motor.

You could elect to use the included motor if you want or transfer it to say a sailplane.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mike early

Interesting thread!

Can this airframe be purchased bare? Or does one have to buy the brushed power system and chuck it?
I know what you're thinking. Me too. I hate to buy one, knowing that I'm going to trash the motor/esc/batttery. I sure wish GP would sell it sans power system. It's a sweet airplane.

CR
Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 AM

Even chucking the motor, it's still a good buy. But yeah if they could take away the cost of the motor and ESC, it would be a fanastic electric ARF.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

Even chucking the motor, it's still a good buy. But yeah if they could take away the cost of the motor and ESC, it would be a fanastic electric ARF.
No doubt about it. It's a great flying model with enough power and a light weight battery. I just hate to throw out a perfectly good motor and battery. However, if GP ever said they were discontinuing it I'd buy another in a flash. We do have a guy in the club who has a pretty small budget for his RC hobby, so he scratch builds his planes and looks around for inexpensive power setups. I can always give the stuff to him.

CR

Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM

I posted another thread on how I'm getting about 30 minutes flight time on my SS EP with a .30 equivalent brushless motor.

By sacrificing a bit of time for more power ( about 22 minutes on my timer ) the EP has become a wonderful light aerobatic plane.

I have well over 150 flights on mine now, and it is definitely in my "if it crashes it shall be replaced" list of planes which for me is high praise.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:01 PM

I have one of these with the stock system but with an 8 cell nimh pack with a tekin rc car speed control for reverse!!! its a blast to play with i'm going to put a new mod motor on it or put a brushless car setup so i keep my reverse, its fun because its like our spray plane to reverse the thing after touch down.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 PM

I have finally decided to trash both the stock power system and the 600 system for my planes ( I now have two). I am going to power one with a .25 nitro and the second with the
BP Hobbies 2915-5D brushless. I will have no problem with the nitro conversion because I am very familiar with running nitro engines. Of course the firewall will be strengthened for the nitro conversion
My question is about the brushless conversion. Hopefully OPJOSE is still looking at this thread!? I plan on using a 60A ESC and (2) 11.1V 2100 Lipos hooked together which I hope will give me the 20 to 30 minute run times that others have gotten. My biggest complaint with the stock systems are the sub 10 minute run times. I am looking at purchasing (4) of the Zippy 21C 11.1V lipos. Has anyone had experience with these batteries? The price sure is right!
Does anyone have photos of either of the conversions I plan to do? Especially the motor mounting.
I can't wait to fly both of the planes on the same day which will be a great way to compare their performance. I am going to try and set them up as close as possible. Yeah it sounds crazy! but should be fun! Skip
Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: arcticflyer

My question is about the brushless conversion. Hopefully OPJOSE is still looking at this thread!? I plan on using a 60A ESC and (2) 11.1V 2100 Lipos hooked together which I hope will give me the 20 to 30 minute run times that others have gotten. My biggest complaint with the stock systems are the sub 10 minute run times. I am looking at purchasing (4) of the Zippy 21C 11.1V lipos. Has anyone had experience with these batteries? The price sure is right!
Yup no problems.

Since you are running them together even a 15C battery suffices, and the 21C gives you that much more of a safety margin.

I've also run 3800 3S batteries in the plane and have had no problems with the run time.

I've also sacrificed run time for a bit more performance using a 10x7E prop, but reducing run time to about 18-20+ minutes.

You can go either way simply by swapping the prop, which I find a nice feature of all of this.

My SS EP is still running strong, and I've worn out and replace the wheel pants with so many touch and go's.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:26 PM

Either one of those power systems sounds like overkill to me. Maybe that's what you're after. ??

CR
Old 01-19-2008, 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Charley

Either one of those power systems sounds like overkill to me. Maybe that's what you're after. ??

CR
Not at all.

The default power system is simply too anemic for this plane.

With either of the suggested configurations the plane comes alive, but it certainly doesn't overpower it too much.

Check the videos that Guapoman2000 posted and you'll see how well the plane flies with this configuration.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Charley, I'm not a 3D pilot and I'm not looking for over kill as the 600 system did a fairly good job. But the big 3600 Nimh packs weighed "tons" and still only gave sub ten minute run times. The low run times were my biggest problem however the stock system as Opjose said is very anemic. It will fly the plane but I feel the airframe's potential cannot be realized. I wondered if the .25 might be a bit large and suggestions on the nitro conversion would definately be considered. I get so few days to fly up here that on the good days I litterly fly all day off and on. I don't need unlimited verticle but it sure would be nice if I want to do it. I love the way this plane flies and look forward to exploring its limits.
Also Charley I found your pics of the brushless motor mount they will be a great help in mounting mine.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:00 PM

Arcticflyer

You may find that with this combo you'll forgo all desire to put in a nitro engine. ( Though I also like glow/gas engines ).

I've had electric guys at my field in awe of the SS EP's performance with this setup. They've stated that it seems like I'm flying it with a .40 engine, and it even sounds much like one to them ( prop noise ). A few people who had SS EP's out at the field came up to me, wrote down what I had in it, and a few weeks later showed up with exactly the same configuration.

I also like the flexibility with the batteries.

I can use my 3900mAh 3S LiPo packs or my 1800 to 2200 mAh 3S Lipos in a 3S2P configuration. For me this means that I can use the same batteries I normally use on other planes as well...

Old 01-19-2008, 02:49 PM

I just got the motor from BP Hobbies today. It only took two days to arrive as I am down in the States visiting the kids. I fly back to the arctic next week and the work begins. I am definately going to do the brushless conversion first and as you say I might not want to go any further. I have an airframe that has been crashed a couple of times that will be the test bed and a brand new in the box SS to convert after testing. I was looking at some lipos on the nitroplanes site that are 3s1P 3800s 15C at a pretty reasonable cost. I thought about getting one of those and two of the Zippy 21C 2100's and hook them together. Like you said that will give some versatility with the battery use. I read this whole post again and watched guapoman's videos along with another video on UTube. If you watch his video with the brushless then watch another guys video with the stock system the difference is amazing. Weather sure is nice down here, not looking forward to 30 below again.
Oh yeah what ESC do you run. Skip
Old 01-19-2008, 03:51 PM

If you have G3/G3.5/G4, well have a new model up on the swap pages in a few days specifically for the SS EP ( no add-ons, etc. required ) that models all of the different configurations and combinations so you can try your hand at it.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM

The glow .25 will shake the SS apart in short order. Much too robust an engine for the airframe IMHO. I wouldn't put a glow engine in anyway, nothing to be gained over a hot electric setup.

The Hyperion 3013-14 that's shown in my pics is about the same amount of overkill as your BP as it turns out. My bad. I use a 3150 and a 3850 mAH 3s1p CSRC lipo and get two ~10+ min flights out of each. I use a 10x7 SlowFly APC and get unlimited vertical. Seldom go WOT unless I just get the urge to see it accelerate straight up. Oh and I'm using a 45A ESC. It's plenty. Oh and get some stick on leads weights. Mine needed weight in the nose even with the big batteries.

Where in Alaska? Whatcha working on up there? Just curious, I was up at Ft. Greely one winter testing the Chaparral Missile System.

CR
Old 01-19-2008, 05:41 PM

Charley, I retired from law enforcement and went into the ministry. It's a long story how I ended up in the arctic but I'm there. I'm not in Alaska we are located about 250 east of the border in Canada on the arctic ocean. I fly off of a sand bar in the summer (if you can call it that)! I've gotten a couple of the guys in town interested in flying and have taught one to solo with a Hanger 9 alpha one.
If I still press towards a nitro conversion would a .15 or even a small four stroke be better for the airframe? Skip
Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Charley

The Hyperion 3013-14 that's shown in my pics is about the same amount of overkill as your BP as it turns out. My bad. I use a 3150 and a 3850 mAH 3s1p CSRC lipo and get two ~10+ min flights out of each. I use a 10x7 SlowFly APC and get unlimited vertical. Seldom go WOT unless I just get the urge to see it accelerate straight up. Oh and I'm using a 45A ESC. It's plenty.
It seems like everyone arrived to the same point on this plane to turn it into a great flyer...

Like minds....

I didn't have to add any weights on mine though.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: arcticflyer

Charley, I retired from law enforcement and went into the ministry. It's a long story how I ended up in the arctic but I'm there. I'm not in Alaska we are located about 250 east of the border in Canada on the arctic ocean. I fly off of a sand bar in the summer (if you can call it that)! I've gotten a couple of the guys in town interested in flying and have taught one to solo with a Hanger 9 alpha one.
If I still press towards a nitro conversion would a .15 or even a small four stroke be better for the airframe? Skip
GP lightened up the Super Sportster 20 kit to produce the SS-EP. Guys were hanging .28s and .32S on the SS 20. Maybe if you beefed up the firewall and battery area a .15 or .20 wouldn't shake it apart. It's still pretty robust compared to the latest electric ARFs. Can you get glow fuel readily up there?

CR
Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 PM

No, that is one of the problems. Glow fuel is hard to get. I have a way to get it right now through a local trucking company. But if that stops I'm sunk as far as glow fuel. That is why I went to electric in the first place but became somewhat disappointed with the low run times of the Nimh batteries. There is a good chance that my source will dry up this summer. I.t will be elec from that point on or I'll have to build giant scale and go pump gas. I have a 60 sized P-51 that I am going to put a BME .90ST gasser in this summer. The P-51 is just work to fly, it's a great rush, but work. The SSEP is a joy to fly and more relaxing so making it fly better and longer is the goal. Skip
Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 AM

Hey I found Tuk on the map. Not much of Canada north of it. If it was me I'd stay with E-power. As long as you have electricity, you have fuel. There are some quality lipo batteries for reasonable prices as long as you don't insist on Brand names. I suppose you already have a quality charger, eh?

CR
Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 AM

You're right Tuk to us is the end of the world! Everything north of us is pack ice all the way to the pole. I have and ice road in the winter but in the summer it is fly in only. Model fuel is considered Hasmat so getting it shipped is tough in the winter it is easier than the summer and my friend who gets it to me might be leaving this summer.
I've got a MRC 977 Super Brain which is a great charger but I think I'm going to get a good Lipo specific charger as well. I've never been hung up on brand names, the cheaper the better but I also realize you get what you pay for.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 AM

Hi guys...

After years of flying the mini SS, both stock and modified, I finally decided to get this larger SS at $105 delivered.

I have no intentions of using the stock power items on this model but it will most likely go to a delta wing for combat.[>:]

I purchased from Hobby Lobby their Atlas 2915/08 (.25 .35 glow conversion) on sale for $19...and still as of today!!!!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/atlas2915.htm

2915/08
1710Kv
2S Lipo - 10x6
3S Lipo - 9x5 2-3
6-8 Nic
45 Amp ESC
35-65 oz. plane weight

Figured its definitely and upgrade to the stock and with a 3ys "warranty" what the heck...and at that price two were purchased which might satisfy any scale twin-engine in the future.

I wonder if I should have gone with the 2915/10 instead...but at those prices...perhaps I'll order them before sale ends.

Anyways...I will be using a CC Phoenix-45, CC Berg7 and I have 4 lipos as follows:

2 - 3S Thunder Power 2100mA - 15C cont/24Cburts @ 145grams

2 - 3S Poly Quest 1800mA - 20C cont/? @ 146grams

Due to their capacity and weigth I know I'm better off going parallel with each group to avoid having to add weight if an issue and for decent flying time as well.

I dont know what size prop to use at this time but by the time I mount the motor, which arrives today ...perhaps someone can chime in before LHS closes today[]

Looking forward to her maiden and will report back flying times.

BTW...
I use a sharpie to paint cockpit black which makes display panel stand out...also the canopy edges and screws for a finished look. Now she needs as pilot.

Prop tip received white for fingertips safety...plus looks good spinning.

All hardware was painted to match red color...horns...screws...wheel spokes...etc...will take close up pics before her maiden for sure[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74525.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	946622  
Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Too lazy to put on the decals, huh?

CR
Old 05-10-2008, 05:17 PM

^nah...just like the clean look...it does have some yellow on the bottom and a couple of stickers to help spot it.

well...the Atlas brushless arrived and for the price plus all mounting hardware...wow...time will tell.

I am dissapointed that the website link I gave has info that contradicts the instruction sheet so "beware".

According to the website, the 2915/08 can take up to a 9x5.5 with a 3S but not according to the instruction sheet that states only three props sizes are recommended :

7x5 @ 10.8V / 32A / 15572rpm
8x4 @10.5V / 40.1A / 14713rpm
8x6 @ 7V / 31.8A /9685rpm with 2S lipo while 3S is not recommended

Current range for this motor is 20-43A with a 50A max for 60 seconds.
12 ohm internal resistance

I do have an 8x5...but no watts up meter...arrg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.