Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Mini Super Sportster EP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini Super Sportster EP!

Well, I did it again. I was flying the MSS with the TP2100 lipo. flew it great for 8 minutes and then I messed up during inverted flight, and pulled up too hard in a panic. It folded its wings and there it went into either the woods or someone's backyard. [:@][][X(]
So not only have I most probably shattered it to bits, I've lost everything in the plane, until I can find what's left of it. As for the lipo, I really hope it doesnt become dangerous and catch fire, as it's most probably still plugged to what's left of the ESC. The ESC is probably smashed flat because it was sitting right behind the 450 motor. God why does this always happen to me! That's a lot of money that I've lost in this crash. I really hope someone sees it in their yard and looks up my number inthe cockpit if they bother and call me.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:12 PM
inurocker

Sorry for your loss slo-v. I hope you find some of you gear still intact. Sometimes you can be surprised what will survive a crash. Good luck
Old 09-10-2006, 03:34 PM
ken1.8t

Hey Slo-v, have you considered joining a local club so you can have access to a large field. Having room makes or break me. Increases your margin for error ten-fold. I'm surprised that you flew "aggressive" for you first lipo flight...inverted for me is still done at at least 200 feet! That lipo may get cooked if the esc did not shut down. Are you done with the MSS???
Old 09-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I'll probably get another MSS and set it up the same way as this one was, with at least a small brushless outrunner, perhaps another Lipo, but not in a long, long, looong time, seeing as to how I have bad luck with it .

I have flown the MSS inverted in circuits before and this time I think it got a little too fast and I just couldnt react in time to save it as it lowered in altitude (maybe 50-70 feet). Pulling back on the stick too hard at high speed did it in. It was one of those panicky things where you second guess yourself and hit the wrong direction. [:@]

I swear, the first one crashed soon after I added the Park 480, and now this one after I upped the power to a Lipo ON ITS FIRST FLIGHT. It's like a nightmare come true. I can only imagine what will happen/has happened to that battery. I didn't see any smoke rising from the area around the woods/backyards after the crash. But this time luck has played a cruel trick and now I'm in a $350+ hole. I just wish someone finds it and gives me a call so that I can put this high powered plane stuff to rest for a long while.

I don't really have any clubs within "easy reach" of my house, plus I like being able to fly in the field across my home without worrying about "flying patterns" and rules, or frequency problems since I'm the only one there. But yes a larger field would have possibly saved me from the crash as this one has this patch of trees that the plane fell behind and that's where I'm confused as to it's exact location; someone's backyard or a tree top in this patch of trees or much further than I imagined and deep with in the woods outling the field. Let's hope for a miracle.

Hmm I could have spent less money and gotten a brushless system for my stadium truck instead without all the worries. []
Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Well, I found the plane today. It was lying in someone's front yard to the side (the field is behind their house). Damage report:

The fuse is cracked along the wing mount area. Firewall is gone. Wings broke off cleanly at the joiner, however one has a cracked tip.

Aileron servo ripped out and lost. Rudder servo stripped. Elevator servo seems like it alright (as with my last crash) .

ESC broke a capacitor, ripped out a plug, and pretty much bent in half a little. I threw it in the trash now that it's been through 2 crashes.

Park 450 motor: Siezed and won't turn over easily even by hand. Bearings and or axle is bent and the outter can is visibly crooked. Went in the trash.

Receiver: Somehow has survived its second crash and all channels seem to work.

The Lipo: Swelled up at the forward facing tip as the motor must have pushed back into it initially. Pack reads 3.x volts when I plugged it into the charger to check. Trash (I'll let my lhs dispose of it) Talk about sad. On its first flight.

My next plane will probably not be coming for a while. I think I'll stay away from thrilling high speed aerobatics for a long time.. Perhaps I'll get an E-flite Cessna 182 ARF. Looks like an easy to build, light, relaxing scale flying plane. Just as soon as I pay off the first and second MSS's and their equipments c.c. bill...

Old 09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
ken1.8t

It is good to have closure on finding the plane. It's bad when you recover such a small amount of working/repairable parts. But like you said, take a break and come back with a different plane. I'll miss the MSS discussion! I'm waiting for my replacement wings from Tower. Hopefully I'll have her back together for some weekend flying!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:55 PM
ken1.8t

Who else is out there having a great time flying their MSS? I finally put together another wing. She's back and she's bad. Too much fun Too bad daylight is ending much sooner!
Old 09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
spicedcrab

hi guys, i havent checked in for a long time here, glad to see the thread is still going strong. ive built a few more planes since we talked last, latest is the seagull extra 300. i built my last MSS and only put 2 flights on it before i started my next build. to bad we dont live closer to one another or we could talk about me selling my MSS, i dont fly it anymore since i went to the formosaII and the extra 300. its the one that has the upgrades to the landing gear, hatch, tailwheel, etc that i pictured in my other thread. but anyway, i was just saying hi to you all, and glad your still having fun. hey if any of you are thinking of building a bigger plane next, that extra 300 is an awsome performer! if so, i can help with some build tips on it.

happy flying,
john
Old 09-29-2006, 08:55 PM
ken1.8t

ORIGINAL: spicedcrab

to bad we dont live closer to one another or we could talk about me selling my MSS, i dont fly it anymore since i went to the formosaII and the extra 300.
happy flying,
john
Hey, maybe Slo-v can pick up your plane!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
spicedcrab

im very sry to hear of your mis-haps slo-v. but wow, that must have really been a hard impact to have damaged the equipment so bad, hey if your motor hasnt been thrown away yet, e-flite sells shafts for that motor, it may just need a shaft.

john
Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Hey Spicedcrab.

Well actually, it's not just the shaft, because I'd replace it already. It's the friggin' outter bell that got out of whack! Yeah. The surrounding area of the hole that the shaft exits from the bell is actually bent slighty, siezing up the motor. Cant seem to find replacement bell on Eflite's website. The ESC is toast as well; a capacitor broke off.

Since then I've bought a cheapo' BP-21 and 15a esc and a 2 cell TP 1900. Been having fun with the Slo-V with it.

Man I miss the MSS! At the point it crashed I was just beginning to enjoy flying it again. I think it hurt me more than the plane. How would you feel if your brand spanking new 1 day old $80 3-cell lipo and $85 plane and $100 of motor stuff just go poof down the drain! Almost every other day I think of trying to glue on the wings again and fix the fuse damage but then I dont have any good batts for it to even fly with just the sp400. And I just to afraid to spend another $85+ AGAIN on a pretty plane and wreck it in less than a week.

Well all that gloom and doom aside. I'm having fun with the Bp-21 powered Slo-V. I'm hoping I can ghetto rig it to my Mini Slinger or maybe even the ressurected MSS just to see what kinda crap I can pull.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
plkracer

I've had my MSS for almost 9 months now. No crashes yet, but I started with faster planes. I hate my brother's slo-v. Nothing like an aerobatic plane. I went straight to brushless, but a lower power set up that is very light. I would suggest going to a flying field, and maybe ask for help. It is definitely worth it.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:41 PM
tequila25

I just got a FRIO 10 for mine gonna hook it up and see how she does I will let everyone know
Old 03-23-2007, 06:20 PM
ken1.8t

OK, almost spring! Who is having fun with their MSS??? I got a good flight in today but the weather was raw on the hands after 20 minutes. It was calm but began to drizzle, so I packed it up. 49 degrees by the water today was not that bad...
Old 06-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Well My friend bought an MSS after I told him how much i like it.... he is a new pilot and flew it like a champ the first 2 flights....but the wind made him crash the second time out so he's gonna repair the firewall.. much like my first few times.

I might be getting a MSS soon as a little money starts flowing again.. hehe.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Cub Killer

I haven't had time to read all the posts in this thread but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in anyway.
I have this plane.I have probably 75 flights on it.Ive upgraded to a 450 e flight out runner ,with a 20 amp speed control.10-7 prop.Still have the original gear with the wheel pants.This is one awesome little plane.Its the first I bought in my transition from foamies.I fly this plane first and last ever time I go out.
This plane ROCKS.and hauls ass now.
I can just about land this thing on a picnic table.
I would never give this plane up.I do need to change the elastics, they are getting kind of funky looking.LOL
.....................Keep looking up..............Cub Killer
Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM
VARMS

Slo-V Flyer i think you have the same problem as my dad if i were you i would be getting a plane thats a little slower like Kyosho's calmato high wing, it would be a little more expensive as it is bigger but it would be a wise investment so if you want it lighter go electric so this will also become as aerobatic as your MSS.
just a little food for thought i guess