Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

*3DHobbyShop 47" Extra SHP Build & Fly Thread*

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

*3DHobbyShop 47" Extra SHP Build & Fly Thread*

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Fliprob17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *3DHobbyShop 47" Extra SHP Build & Fly Thread*

Finally got a break in the weather Sat. morning (day before the wind and fires out here) to get the Yellow Extra out. What a GREAT, GREAT airplane!!! First, I didn’t think it could look any better than it did on the ground, but man……… this is one fine looking aircraft when it is in the air [sm=shades_smile.gif] The videos and pictures just don't do it justice. There is definitely no substitute for flying it in person. Hit the air just before sunrise, then about halfway through the sun peeked out and the plane just lit up the sky [sm=shades_smile.gif]...........................and my face [sm=teeth_smile.gif] Really a sharp looking plane when performing maneuvers. Even my wife commented as soon as the sun hit it how great it looked in the air.

Off the ground in about 6-8 feet and did 2 quick laps to get her dialed in, only needed 3 clicks of right aileron, everything else was dead on [sm=shades_smile.gif] After the two laps I immediately went vertical to about 250-300 feet and brought her all the way down in a flat spin to about 20 feet off the ground. Figured there was no better way to get introduced to each other [sm=wink_smile.gif] Does a really nice, flat, well controlled flat spin. Hovering was rock solid, she almost hovers by herself. Just about hands off and holds it beautifully. Kept it pretty simple first time out with a mix of flat spins, hovering and a few harriers, plus the typical aerobatic stuff. Landing was the easiest I have experienced to date. I had the brake off, so she was a big time floater. Dove in, two clicks of throttle and a little flair, just about landed herself. No stalling, just a pretty little glider of a landing [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Big step up from my Mini Funtana X, actually not even fair to the Extra to compare the two [sm=wink_smile.gif] The most obvious difference with the Extra is the precision and general smooth flight characteristics. The plane just seemed to be locked on rails. No jitters, nothing loose or jerky, just tight, smooth and locked [sm=shades_smile.gif] Finally a great flying plane added to the hangar over here. Really, I can’t say enough about this plane. Just an absolute joy to fly. Big time thanks to Ben, Scott and the whole 3DH squad for a GREAT GREAT Product and excellent service all around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29534.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	788683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48980.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	788684  
Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Doc Austin

Default RE: *3DHobbyShop Extra SHP Build & Fly Thread*

I'm just waiting for the power system to get here and then we'll be ready to go. So far everything has gone together perfectly.

Glad to hear that it almost hovers itself. That's what's giving me the most trouble learning.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Fliprob17

Ya, it pretty much does the work for you. Just really tracks well, no herkie jerkie garbage.

Forgot to post the setup:
Motor - Torque 2818T-900 w/ Xoar 13x6 PJN Beechwood prop. - Pulls 38amps at WOT - 427 total watts
ESC - AirBoss 45amp Elite
Battery - TP2200-3SX
Receiver - Electron 6
Aileron Servos - HS-65HB
Rudder & Elevator Servos - HS-65MG
3DH Canopy Hatch Latch - a must have, especially for blenders

All up weight 39oz - 175 watts per pound

Vertical is unlimited for first 4-5 minutes of flight, then it dropped off a bit, and was not quite as strong in a vertical climb around the 6-7 minute mark. Still good but a little slower in the climb.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Doc Austin

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

3DH Canopy Hatch Latch - a must have, especially for blenders
The blenders seem to be especially hard on the pilots.

Name:	Om31722.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	792788  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Doc Austin

Woooooooooo-hooooooooooo. Test flew the Extra last week in 25mph winds. Very nice plane, but let's look at my set up before we go into flying much more........

Name:	Om32135.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	793322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89698.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	793323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66642.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	793324  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Doc Austin

As you can see in the last picture, we added the carbon rods to stiffen the stab without measuring where the pushrod would go.

Doah.

For now, I've got to run the pushrod where it is, on a severe angle, because with the servo arm pointed down, the puhhrod fouls the carbon brace. Eventually the braces will have to be moved a bit, but I'm not ready to go yanking the stiffener rods out of the stab of a brand new plane....not yet anyway.

This is one of my vaunted "improvements" that I didn't think out very well. Should have hooked up the pushrods first and then fitted the braces. Shows what can happen when you think you know what you're doing.

Next photos shows the ESC location. I glued a popsickle stick under where the ESC is to give me a place to put a strip of velcro, and then zip tied the ESC down.

Putting the receiver in was easy enough, and with 2.4 the antennae routing is about no brainer. When taking the wings on and off, I noticed the former that holds the ESC was flexing a bit. I didn't want to yank that former out accidentially while trying to plug a servio in or something, so I glued another stick there and the fuselage is strengthened significantly.

You can see another strip of velcro where the rudder servo would mount in a pull-pull installation This is originally where I intended to mount the receiver (because it worked so well here in the Katana), but I didn't have an extention long enough for the ESC to reach the receiver. I missed by about 1/2", so I simply moved the receiver forward until I can get some more extentions.

Lastly, I've never liked a lot of decals on my planes. I mean, the Old Glory has to be there and it always looks good, but I try to keep stickers to a minimum. Maybe I can find a Koolaide sticker or two somewhere.

Name:	Mj24525.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	793325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85099.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	793326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78558.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	793327  
Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Doc Austin

It's pretty close to impossible to evluate a plane when testing it in 25mph winds, except maybe to evaluate that it flys well (or doesn't) in big winds. First, the Extra handled the wind pretty well, but the Katana did too.

Where the Extra feels better than the Katana is that you can yank and snatch the plane all over the place and tip stall never comes into play. This is extremely confidence inspiring and I was pushing the Extra pretty hard as soon as I discovered this stability.

First, she doesn't blender as utterly sickly violently as the Katana, but she still does a pretty decent one.....and she comes out of it hose high and headed straight, without the wings rocking. Sort of takes a little of the fun out when it doesn't scare you, but a blender is very controllable both going into and coming out of with the Extra. Very easy.

I even did a Kamakazee, full throttle, terminal velocity blender. Now, here's where Fliprob will probably jump in and recommend that the rest of you don't try that one. I just did it because someone dared me to do it, and last weekend I broke a plane in half doing this. Worth noting here is that the plane I pulled apart was not a 3D Hobby Shop plane.

It didn't even shake the Extra's canopy loose. Tough little airplane.

I still haven't gotten my waterfalls down like the way Ben makes them look so easy, but the Extra does those well too. It's hard to say, but I think she does them at least as well as the 3D Katana.....and maybe a little better because the wings stay more level without any tip stall tendancies, but we'll have to take them both out on a calmer day as compare them that way.

Ah, but that stinking hover. I still haven't figured it out, but now I'm getting much closer. I can get her to hang there on the prop, but the wind would just take her away. It probably wasn't the best day to practice hovering, but there was still more than enough wind to fly the Extra backwards just by holding the nose up a bit and letting the ourushing air push her back.

I ran her through spins and snaps all the other things in my routine and the plane handled them very nicely. especially nice is the way the Extra stall turns. Lots of planes stalll turn well, but the extra has a little something
........uhhhhh, extra in the stall turn department. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but give me a few more packs and maybe I'll be able to pinpoint a few more things.

But, mostly though, worth of note is that I was utterly unafraid of her right from the beginning, even in horrid wind conditions. The plane is very smooth and very stable. I am still struggling with all the throw in the 3D setup, but I am very much more comfortable with the Extra than I am with the Katana. For 3D basic training, I think the Extra is a much better platform for me to learn with.

Don't get me wrong, because I do love the 3D Katana, but I'm not afraid to try anything with the Extra......and that's after only 2 flights.

For now, I will dial back the throws in the Katana, make her a bit nose heavy, and sport fly her. The Katana is a disgustingly pretty plane and everyone at the field drools all over her. Once I get 3D figured out, I'll go back to the Katana, move the battery back, it on high raes, and 3D the snot out of her.

So, I've got the pretty Katana, and the outrageous Extra. And just to think, the Velox is coming too!

Name:	Hf97765.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	793332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44876.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	793333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92405.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	793334  
Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Fliprob17

Looks good my man......Looks good.

These Yellow planes are just sweet!!!

Definitely the finest looking plane yet to get in the air [sm=shades_smile.gif] The yellow scheme just shows off in the sun, really nice.

I am really liking the looks with the Xoar wood prop. too. I will try and post some pics soon.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Fliprob17

Here are a couple shots of the Xoar prop.

Also, a couple of the Hatch Latch, which is a must when performing extreme maneuvers to reduce the risk of possibly blowing the hatch off under pressure. It is a nice little install that will save some $$'s if the hatch decides to play ejecter seat

Name:	Hf99399.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	797471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60843.jpg
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	797472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80381.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	797473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58020.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	797474  
Old 11-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Doc Austin

I've been running mine of 4S lately and the thing is a monster!

Name:	Li20971.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	797532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53480.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	797533  
Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Fliprob17

My turn for "Glamour Shots"

Name:	Ge95220.jpg
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	797796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75406.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	797797  
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Fliprob17

We have gone through and put together a Step by Step Build/Review for this plane if anyone is interested in taking a peek Just about everything is covered in some fashion - http://adchobbystore.com/3DHExtra-review.htm

It is basically designed to help out the beginner/novice with the entire build and setup process, so the Top Gun's out there may find it a bit redundant
Old 11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Doc Austin

Five Fireballs!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
theradioflyer

Wow, I missed this thread, where was I[X(] I have this plane in my hangar and it is the top performer. ( I have no less than 15 planes and 7 are ready to fly) This plane is by far the best plane design I've ever flown. There is absolutely nothing to be desired and on top of the incredible performance is the outstanding customer service provided by 3D Hobby Shops. I have never dealt with any company that has such incredible support of their product. The hardware and power combo is spot on for this plane. If anyone is looking for a scale Extra300 that flies like a foamy, (actually much better ), this is the plane you want.
I have to include a picture of mine

God Bless!

Jay

Name:	Tr49749.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	798651  
Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Fliprob17

Hands down this is one of, if not the best plane in it's class. Just a great performer.

Sponsered by Chevy I see Nice pic.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:58 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

This indeed is a great plane to learn 3D on: super stable, clean and honest stall, great KE, and durable too .
Old 11-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Fliprob17

The 47" Extra SHP little generator vs. the 55" Extra SHP Nuclear Power Source

Name:	Ig12457.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	799389  
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: *3DHobbyShop 47" Extra SHP Build & Fly Thread*

Schweet!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 PM
knotnuts

Here are a couple shots of the Xoar prop.

Also, a couple of the Hatch Latch, which is a must when performing extreme maneuvers to reduce the risk of possibly blowing the hatch off under pressure. It is a nice little install that will save some $$'s if the hatch decides to play ejecter seat
The newest (gen 2?) edition has a hatch latch incorporated in the fuslage as well as a slot in the front to lock everything up tight.. I doubt that this will ever be an issue in the 2nd batch!! 3-D Hobbies has really got their act together!!! What a great airplane at a great price!!, I like the BLUE one the best LOL!!!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Doc Austin

Old 11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Fliprob17

ORIGINAL: knotnuts
The newest (gen 2?) edition has a hatch latch incorporated in the fuslage as well as a slot in the front to lock everything up tight.. I doubt that this will ever be an issue in the 2nd batch!! 3-D Hobbies has really got their act together!!! What a great airplane at a great price!!, I like the BLUE one the best LOL!!!!!
Ya the V2 Extra has the pre-installed hatch latch, which is nice. One less step and yet another way, added to the long list, that 3DHobbyShop is dedicated to customer service and cranking out top notch aircraft.

You only think the blue one is the best because you have not flown the yellow one yet
Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
knotnuts

ORIGINAL: knotnuts
Ya the V2 Extra has the pre-installed hatch latch, which is nice. One less step and yet another way, added to the long list, that 3DHobbyShop is dedicated to customer service and cranking out top notch aircraft.

You only think the blue one is the best because you have not flown the yellow one yet
LOL!!!! How did you know!!!!LOL That yellow one in Doc's video looks very pretty!!! I wonder if he used a little blue monocote for his repair!!LOL!!! That way he could tell which side up is a little easier...J/K Doc !!!!LOL Loved the video, didn't look like much repair was neccessary... 3DHobbyshop really is over the top! The only thing that could be improved might be using carbon fiber for the elevator joiners, but that is just a personal preference. First class from spinner to tail wag thingy!!!LOL!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Fliprob17

Here is the first of several video clips leading up to the runway scrapper

http://adchobbystore.com/pics-vids-extra-47-y-doc.htm
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Fliprob17

http://adchobbystore.com/pics-vids-extra-47-y-doc-1.htm

More video of Doc's antics
Old 11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Fliprob17

Finally got a spinner installed One I like anyway.....

I was trying to find an example that would install on the stock Torque bolt-on prop. adapter, when using the thicker Xoar props., with very little mods. I tried several and they just would not work, especially with the Xoar Props., without having to buy a longer motor shaft because the prop. hubs are so thick. Anyway, the Extreme Flight 42mm spinner worked out pretty nicely. It needed a little dremel work to get the Xoar prop. in, but fits beautifully with the stock prop. adapter. They have a thinner backplate than something like a DuBro, so you don't need a longer prop. adapter to get it to work, and still have enough threads to adequately secure the nut.

I painted it with the same Krylon I used on the canopy. It is just about a dead on match with the silver covering on the plane.

Name:	Li21055.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	814152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79162.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	814153  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.