Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

EFlite Pawnee

Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFlite Pawnee

I started assembling this aircraft on New Year's Day. I always start a new plane that day. This is a beautiful aircraft. It has a 60in. wingspan and the fuselage is nice and fat and there's plenty of room for just about anything you want to put in it. The battery area is especially generous. I started by sorting the hardware. I decided to follow the assembly procedure in the manual. First is the landing gear. There's an axle, a two-part hub, a wheel collar, tires, sheet metal screws, the gear piece and hubcaps. The axles are screwed onto the gear piece. Two wrenches help here. Then you take the back half of the hub, place it on the axle and hold it in place with the wheel collar. Put the tire over the back half of the hub, and push the front half in place. They show a nice way to locate the first sheet metal screw and it works well. What doesn't work well is that the tires are fat and you have to compress them the get the screw to bite into the back half of the hub. I tried and tried. Finally I gave up and took off the tire and screwed the two halves together. Then I forced the tire onto the hub. The first went on pretty well but the second got a couple of gouges in the back. I didn't locate the first tire as well as I could as the hubcap won't go on as the axle sticks out a bit too much. The other was better. A little work with a Dremel should fix it. To keep the hubcaps in place, a tiny dab of CA should help. Careful here, you don't want to glue the wheel to the axle. That's where I am now. The wing servos are next. I've decided to go with flaps so I have four servo covers to do. That's where it stands for the moment. I'll get back to it soon.

If any others are assembling this aircraft, I'd like to hear from you.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:21 AM
zac dady

Default RE: EFlite Pawnee

Mthat is Mr.Mulligan really interested in your pawnee ive been thinking about buying this plane. I am building the top flite b25 that is taking alot of my time. But this little plane is really cool looking are you using the eflite 15 to power it. I hope enjoy the build looking forward to your progress.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 AM
MrMulligan

The nice thing about this aircraft is that you can use either the Power 15 or the 25. The motor mount has two "X" spacers that go behind the 15's X mount. This should make the 25 fit easily. I'm on the fence as to power. I have both motors and looking at the size of the aircraft, I'm leaning toward the 25. I'm going to purchase one of EFlite's new switching ESC's as I'll be using 6 servos. The switching ESC is good for 7 analog servos. I have a few Castle's but they're only good for 4 servos unless you use their new separate BEC. I have one of those and they're small and light but I intend to simplify things a bit in this plane. There's a nice video of it flying at EFlite's website.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Taildragger726

The 15 on a 3s pack is plenty for this plane. Although this is a 'good sized' airplane, it is rather short coupled. The recomended elevator throws seem excessive leading to a 'snappy' airplane. The solution is about half of the recomended elevator throws. Take a little time and make sure the elevator pushrods operate freely.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
MrMulligan

I took a few pictures so people can see what the plane looks like unassembled. The laser cutting is quite nice. There is plenty of room for changing batteries. Love that fat fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14677.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	842258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46395.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	842259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41439.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	842260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28714.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	842261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48923.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	842262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10859.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	842263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln13003.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	842264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sr58890.jpg
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	842265  

Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Taildragger726

This is the reason I have the E-Flight Pawnee,,,

Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
MrMulligan

Thanks for the great picture. It gives me an idea of what I need in my quest for a pilot figure and how to install it.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:03 PM
MrMulligan

I've been continuing working on the Pawnee. It's not difficult but I've been busy. I've tried to do a little each day as that will eventually get it done. I decided to go with the flaps. The kit provides the plywood pieces to mount the servos. I'm using HS-81's on the flaps and HS-85BB's on the ailerons. I cut the flap piece loose from the aileron and then the covering piece over the servo bay. Be sure to use a fresh #11 blade for cutting. Ultracoat doesn't like a dull blade. I found that out. I added extensions to the servos, 12in. for the ailerons and 3in. for the flaps. The extensions for the flaps are not needed after you thread them through the hole in the wing. The instructions tell you to do this before you glue the wing halves together and they are correct. It's easy to thread them into the hole as you can work through the cutout in the wing rib. The picture gives you an idea. If you look closely you'll see that I tied the extensions to the servo. I used dental floss for this. You don't want them disconnecting. The 12in. extensions are from Air Wild, heavier wire and fairly inexpensive. They're also twisted, which I like in extensions. The 3in. extensions are from JR. My "Y" harnesses are from Hitec as they are shorter than others, each leg 3in. These cut the usual rat's nest of wiring. I enclosed a picture of the Y harness package. I found them at Horizon Hobby and have used them a lot. I glued the wing joiner together and then had to sand it a bit so it fit properly. Glueing the wing together is next and then on to the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57954.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	850240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29824.jpg
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	850241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31003.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	850242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47903.jpg
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	850243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh59304.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	850244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz38543.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	850245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy49495.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	850246  
Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
zac dady

Seems like your getting along with the pawnee pretty well. I cant wait until you get it finished and flying. So you dont have to have flaps on this plane if you dont want to. Do you have a eflite 60 amp bec esc ive been trying to get this speed controller for a few months now never available. That little bec adapter from castle creations looks pretty cool im just not that good at soldering and dont want ruin my cc 60 amp speed controller. Im going to have to just buy the pawnee because it does look fun and not just nother cub.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 PM
MrMulligan

I have the EFlite switch mode ESC 40 AMP and as I said it's good for 6 servos without disabling the BEC. I ordered the 60AMP at the same time but it's backordered. I have a couple of the new Castle BEC's. I won't be doing any soldering as I use Anderson Power Poles and a crimper from West Mountain Radio. I'll be using one of these when I assemble my Rascal 40 electric conversion.

Got some more work done on the Pawnee tonight. I mounted the horizontal stab and the vertical stab. Again use a new #11 blade when cutting the Ultracoat. Be careful and don't go deep. It's looking good. Have to get out the covering iron for a little shrinking.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Rod
My Feedback: (1)

I have just finished my Pawnee, and the one problem I ran into was the pushrods to the rudder and the elevator were very stiff. I had to strip the covering off the bottom of the fuselage, and cut loose the plastic tubes that carry the pushrods. I then repositioned the carrying tubes and now my pushrods move smoothly. Simple repairs were then made to the fuselage formers and the fuselage was recovered with Monocote. All in all a very nice ARF, and I can't wait for the snow to go so that I can get it to the flying field.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM
MrMulligan

At the moment, I'm having a bit of a problem with the rudder assembly. The rudder should pivot around the plastic piece entering the rudder post. I'm looking for a way to cut it loose without butchering it. I don't have much rudder throw without doing this or need a beefy servo to move it. I'm going to try to slip a piece of dental floss in there to use as a saw.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

I ordered one of these back in December, now they're backordered until late April. Getting tired of waiting.[&o]
Old 08-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update of your Pawnee?[]
Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM
MrMulligan

Not at the moment. Got involved with a lot of other projects. It's just sitting there and I intend to get to it after I finish my Eflite Pulse 25E and an Eflite PT-19.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you please post some pics of your pawnee anyway?