Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

areobird tail adjustment , and reinforceing main wing help?

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

areobird tail adjustment , and reinforceing main wing help?

Old 07-15-2003, 03:54 PM
gold teef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default areobird tail adjustment , and reinforceing main wing help?

I need pics of where, and how to reinforce main wing, and how to adjust the tail wing after installing the rear landing gear. And mabey some pics or links of areobirds with some lights installed or ideas on them .please any help would be great...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
RZielin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: areobird tail adjustment , and reinforceing main wing help?

For wing, run clear packing tape along the entire leading edge. Then tape the trailing edge for about 5 inches each side, just to hold it together a bit when the prop hits it (trust me, it will hit the first time you crash or cartwheel a landing). I also added a strip of packing tape with the fiberglass threads along the bottom of wing near the middle from tip to tip. This is for added stiffness and to prevent wing folding.

Now, if you're foolish like me and try to fly the aerobird inverted, you'll find yourself rolling out of the high speed inverted dive and pulling up just before ground contact so hard that the wing folds anyway. I therefore added a 4mm carbon fiber tube "spar" about 13 inches long across the top at the thickest part of the wing. This was tricky as the slot or trench nearly goes through the entire wing if you're not real careful. I used CA and a strip of clear packing tape over it. It's held up well since then, and survived a pretty hard crash. I do however see stress at the ends of the CF tube where the skin is coming loose. I'd use 18-24 inches of CF tube next time (not so much as to interfere with the dihedral tips).

Let me know if you need pics (which also show nifty gorilla glue repairs of the prop "chews" on each side). Just fill the defect 1/8 or so with white gorilla glue or Sumo with a bit of water added (to increase foaming). Quickly apply clear packing tape, with a hole to allow "venting" of the glue as it expands. Remove the excess glue as it pushes out. Voila, you'll have a perfect lightweight repair that's way stronger than the original wing. In the case of leading or trailing edge damage, you may need tape on both surfaces of the wing to contain the glue, leaving a "slot" open at the edge for venting. Clamping or taping cardboard splints over the tape also helps prevent ballooning of the tape from the pressure of the glue underneath. When dry, just trim off the excess from the leading or trailing edge and you're done.