Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Help me pick an electric plane / project

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Help me pick an electric plane / project

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
learn2turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick an electric plane / project

Just getting back into RC after 20 years. Ihave a micro-cub and a micro-heli. I have a DX6i Tx.

I'm looking for a intro-aerobatic park-flyer to build.
    [*]Durable, Imay fly from a meadow so I want something that won't get banged up easy. I'm thinking foam wing and either foam or balsa fuse.
      [*]Not interested in scale looking, if I"m going to scuff it up in the brush, what's the point.[/list][*]Aerobatic but not so extreme that someone with a litte rust won't be able to fly.[*]I'm on the edge about something more like a sport flier or his new (to me) 3D thing. I want something I can fly in a little wind because that's when I can't fly my micros. Right now I'm leaning more toward the sport-flier end of the spectrum as that's what I flew 20 years ago.[*]I do not want one of those total flatties.
        [*]I would prefer a wing with airfoil shape.[*]I would prefer a fuse that's semi-profile or normal shape is okay but not foam-X is not.[/list][*]I don't know how standard electric sizes are, it doesn't seem like gas where you have .20, .40,.60,.90., but it would be nice to pick a motor and esc that's in a common size so I could reuse it in future project.
          [*]This looked to me like a reasonably-priced power combo. Would it be good for a park-flier, maybe 36" span www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/brushless-outrunner-motor-gh2212-series-p-427.html[/list][*]I don't mind doing a little building but,again, I'm thinking foam wing.[*]I prefer tail-draggers to trikes as they are better for hand-launching and belly landing (just take the gear off if needed).[*]I'd lke to keep it to $100 with power and airframe, not including batteries.[/list]I ended up ordering a couple parts off eBay to hack around with my radio to make sure they work before I start a plane. Ibought an AR6100E,.
          Iwant to double-check that stuff works before I start a plane. The AR6100E is supposed to be a park-flyer receiver, so I guess Ishouldn't go too big with the plane. I also ordered a few 9g servros and a few 5g servos;probably jumped the gun on that as some ARFs come with servos, but they were so cheap I figure Icould put them in the parts box and use them for any project down the road.

One thing Iwas thinking of is buying a couple 36" foam cut wing panels, NACA0015 7" or 8" cord, and then scratch building a balse fuse. That might be a fun project. I'd build 36" spane from one panel and have an extra panel in case I have to re-kit.I have some stuff in my junk box to help with things like control horns and rods and a bunch of balso stock but might need to buy some more parts.

Might just go the ARF route or short kit if I find one I like. Suggestions welcome

So, got any ideas?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
learn2turn

Default RE: Help me pick an electric plane / project

By the way, the plane I've seen so far that looks like about what I want is http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1132.html

The motor specced with it on the tower site is pricy.  Would this combo work http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ies-p-427.html

The weights, KV, and Watts are about the same.

The one thing I don't get about that plane is the specs call for a 640mAH batt and most planes I've seen that size run 1300-2200mAH.  What the?

That's a bit more than I was thinking because I'd need some odds and ends and would have to order from separate places but it's in the running. 

Suggestions for other setups like that are welcom.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:39 PM
rodney tanner

Default RE: Help me pick an electric plane / project

HereĀ“s a good place to start.

[link]http://www.electrifly.com/index.html[/link]