Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 PM
tdmoss61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

In the process of getting my Katana set up right, I noticed a slight wobble in the shaft. I did'nt catch it until after the first flight when I went to change props.This was only mild flying andI only ran the plane for about 3 minutes on the first flight and the motor and esc were too hot to touch, but the battery was'nt even warm. I have a Scorpion S3020-12 motor, Scorpion 90a esc, and I am using a Turnigy 3000mah/3s/40-50c battery with a 12x8 prop. I have checked the setup with the drive calculator and the watt meter. The system isoperating well below the 57a for the motor. Could the slightly bent shaft be the problem? Is it possible for just the prop adapter to be bent? Any ideas on what Ishould do?...................Thanx...........TD

Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

Yes to both. A bend shaft will cause more heat ant current. A adapter shaft is soft and I have had numerous ones that bend on a light prop strike.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:28 AM
tdmoss61

Default RE: Will a bent shaft make the motor and esc run hot?

Thank you for the info. I had no idea that a slight bend would cause it to heat up like that. Between the prop adapter and shaft, I really could'nt tell which was really bent. I ordered the new shaft and prop adapter for it, but I also decided to replace the motor with the new SII3020 series motor. After a little research, I find that the shaft is not as easy to replace as some. It needs to be pressed out. So the new motor should solve my heat problem. Thanx again for the help.............