RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   Problem with my 50 cc Rimfire and Castle HV setup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/11644529-problem-my-50-cc-rimfire-castle-hv-setup.html)

splinter 01-30-2018 04:26 PM

Problem with my 50 cc Rimfire and Castle HV setup

I hope someone can help me with this

I recently converted my Aerowork's 30 % Yak from Gas to electric I installed a Rimfire 50 cc and a Castle 120 amp HV ESC
After 5 or 6 very nice flights using 2 /6 cell 5000 mah batteries (50 C )

I tried a new set of batteries 5200 mah 75C . The brand is Zeee and 3 seconds after take off the motor shut down and unfortunately took the gear off the plane.
By the way I'm running a 22x10 falcon prop

I certainly didn't overheat Could these batteries be too much?

I really don't understand Can anyone shine some light on the problem

Bill

flyinwalenda 01-30-2018 06:25 PM

You didn't state what cell count these batteries are but if they are 6 cell then they are not "too much". The 75C rating means that the pack can(or should be able to) deliver around 390 amps in a burst. but only if the motor/prop setup demands it.
If the setup only demands 275 amps then that's all the packs will deliver.

I've never heard of these batteries so I would suspect the quality of the packs first, especially if you have several good flights on the 5000mah packs. Run an internal resistance check on the packs and see how healthy they are.

The ESC may have shut down because it may have determined the batteries reached low-voltage and turned on LVC killing the motor. Bad packs could have caused this.

oliveDrab 01-30-2018 07:45 PM

Check the amp draw

Did you place a cell checker on both of your 6S batteries? You should have approximately 4.2Volts/cell ... maybe a little less. Do you have any cells that are significantly lower than the others? More than .1 volts lower.

oliveDrab 01-30-2018 08:55 PM

Check the amp draw

Did you test your amp draw on the ground with an in-line volt/amp/watt meter? With the plane on a test stand and the meter plugged in-line between the battery and the esc, throttle up and verify how many amps are being drawn at full throttle.

Here's some specs on that motor:RPM/V (kV Rating): 230
Input Voltage: 33.3-55.5V (9-15S LiPo)
Connector: 6mm bullet plugs
Number of Poles: 14
Max. Constant Current: 110A (at 12S) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< getting close to 120 amps
Max. Continuous Power: 5000W
Max. Surge Current: 135A (at 12S) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< oops ... over 120 amps
Max. Surge Power: 6500W
Max. Constant Watts: 5000W

You've got a Castle 120 HV? I wonder if you're overamping beyond 120 amps with the prop you're using and causing the ESC to give up. I've got the same motor but I'm using a Castle 160 HV ... so if my motor/prop is drawing 135A I still have plenty of margin (160 amps).
You can download the ESC data using Castle Link from the previous runs and read out all the parameters which can help you diagnose the problem. The Castle Link software will show the data to you in graph form. If the motor drew too many amps or ESC/motor got too hot you'll be able to see it on the graph. RPMs and volts are displayed too. You might also be able to see the data from those previous 5 - 6 flights that went ok.

splinter 01-31-2018 03:53 AM

Problem with my 50 cc Rimfire

Gentleman
Thank all of you for your advice. The batteries I've used in a smaller plane individually and work great. I use the new Hitec X4 charger and of course balance all my batteries. Also I've been in hobby 30 years and flying electric when we had brushed motors and nicad batteries
Thanks again will try ideas

Bill

oliveDrab 01-31-2018 07:28 AM

Charger

Originally Posted by splinter (Post 12402380)
Gentleman
The batteries I've used in a smaller plane individually and work great. I use the new Hitec X4 charger and of course balance all my batteries.

Yes - that was my next question. Sounds like you're doing everything right.