RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/)
-   -   Anyone put a tail wheel on a Mini Ultra Stick? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-aerobatic-sport-planes-144/3773343-anyone-put-tail-wheel-mini-ultra-stick.html)

gforeman 01-14-2006 10:50 AM

Anyone put a tail wheel on a Mini Ultra Stick?

I'm thinking of putting a small steerable tail wheel on. Anyone else done this to this particular plane?

I don't want to re-invent the wheel (Pun intended).

fireplug1111 01-17-2006 09:06 AM

RE: Anyone put a tail wheel on a Mini Ultra Stick?

Yes:
I put a 3/4" tail wheel on mine. I used this size as it was laying around my work bench. I used 1/16" wire and bent it to look just like the ultra stick 40 and 60 size. All I had to do was make a small notch in the elevator and drill a small hole in the rudder. It took about 20 minutes and it steers great. I havent flown it yet as the weather has been bad here since I put it on.

If you need more answers or photos just ask.

Alan

dalelvn 01-17-2006 10:52 AM

I too have replaced the skid with a tailwheel. mine 1/4" but all i did was make mine a fixed wheel. since I fly off a grass field still takes quite a but of power to taxi and rudder does just fine with that.

skorman 01-25-2006 10:18 AM

I thought about replacing the skid with a tail wheel, but it steers fine in the grass with the skid and rudder.

varble4u 02-26-2006 11:06 AM

Yes I have replaced the skids on both of my mini sticks. The dubro 40 size tail gear fits perfectly with no mods, the nylon mount is pre-drilled and just bolts on with no mods. Just have to slot the lower end of the rudder, do this before you bolt the vertical stab on. I like to have full control of my taxi, also went with a 1/2 inch wheel. Ken

gforeman 02-26-2006 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: varble4u

Yes I have replaced the skids on both of my mini sticks. The dubro 40 size tail gear fits perfectly with no mods, the nylon mount is pre-drilled and just bolts on with no mods. Just have to slot the lower end of the rudder, do this before you bolt the vertical stab on. I like to have full control of my taxi, also went with a 1/2 inch wheel. Ken
Would you have a photo?

varble4u 03-09-2006 04:55 AM

I am up at Nellis AFB right now and my planes are at home. But I will be getting 2 more next week and will mod both, then upload a photo. Ken

jstrattwilson 03-26-2006 10:31 AM

Any photo's yet?

I want to do mine. The skid doesn't allow much control on a paved runway at slow speed.

Street Flyer 08-06-2006 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tell me what you think.

jmir 08-07-2006 07:29 AM

The MUS skid works well on grass. It steers easily with the rudder control.
Perhaps it would not do as well on a flat surface at lower power.

Charley 08-08-2006 12:55 PM

I just ordered the P 'n P version. I have a spare Rx and a few 1500 Kokam LiPos around. I think I'll graft a piece of foam onto the bottom of the rudder, see if it'll knife bettah!

CR