Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

BEC Question / ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 PM
DanVI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEC Question / ESC question

I opted to add a castle BEC to my plane. I now see the ESC says if you do this to remove the center wire from the throttle. What problems could arise if the center wire is not removed?

Dan
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Dsegal

Default RE: BEC Question / ESC question

You do not want both the ESC and the stand-alone BEC trying to power your radio system at the same time.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:55 PM
DanVI

I know that, now.  What can happen if you do it?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will let the magic smoke out of something. Try it, you will not like it.

Buzz

Edited for spelling.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Dr Kiwi

The easiest way to "sever" the red wire is to simply add a short (3") servo lead between ESC and Rx, having cut the red wire on that lead... that way your ESC remains untouched/unmodified and can be used in future projects.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48895.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1514834  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

The easiest way to ''sever'' the red wire is to simply add a short (3'') servo lead between ESC and Rx, having cut the red wire on that lead... that way your ESC remains untouched/unmodified and can be used in future projects.
I prefer this way as well. You may want to use this ESC in another aircraft later on, and this keeps the BEC wire intact.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:26 PM
aronph

guys-i set the high limit on the throttle channel in my Tx down to slow the plane down some-im a noob-will this hurt the esc?-are people doing this with other electrics?-i know that limit is supposed to be there for the throttle servo on a gas plane so the limits arent outta wack but i can limit the planes speed this way with an electric
Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: aronph

guys-i set the high limit on the throttle channel in my Tx down to slow the plane down some-im a noob-will this hurt the esc?-are people doing this with other electrics?-i know that limit is supposed to be there for the throttle servo on a gas plane so the limits arent outta wack but i can limit the planes speed this way with an electric
You can try that, it definitely won't hurt the ESC, but that may not work as you expect. Some ESCs adjust their gain to the max throttle input that it sees. If the ESC doesn't require you to move the stick to full throttle and back to arm it, then setting your high endpoint lower might work.

Give it a try, can't hurt.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
aronph

heres one fo ya-my radio wont kick on the motor until i get to like the sixth click up on the throttle stick-see where im goin?-in the air(or when the plane is 50 ft or so away regardless of altitude or being airborn) I cant hear this motor-i dont know whether power is being applied or not, so after i turn my radio on, then turn plane on, i trim the throttle UP until the motor starts at its slowest speed,then back off the trim 1 click or so-then, when i move the throttle stick ONE click up from bottom, the motor will start at its slowest speed,it takes the slop out of the bottom of the stick, and its works nicely-howevr, the esc sees that the throttle is not set to the lowest point on startup and will not arm the throttle-i have to retrim this every time i start up-is there a way around this?-u understand what im sayin?-does anybody else have this issue?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:15 AM
-pkh-

I wouldn't bother trimming the low end like that, for exactly that reason. Just get used to the throttle response with the default endpoints/trim.

If you really want to mess with the throttle curve, then use the heli mode on your TX (if you have one). Then you can program a couple different throttle curves, one with normal endpoints and no expo, and another with adjusted endpoints and some expo (or whatever other curve shaping your TX allows for). That way you can turn it on and arm it with the throttle all the way down, then switch to the modified curve afterwards.

Personally I've never seen a need to define a throttle curve for electric planes, though. You just get used to where to put the throttle stick for various types of flight.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 PM
aronph

ok-but wouldnt it b nice to not have any slop at the bottom of the stick?-we didnt stop improving airplanes in WWI and just say "thats good enuf, everybody will just hafta deal with it"
Old 11-29-2010, 12:26 AM
flyallday

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

The easiest way to "sever" the red wire is to simply add a short (3") servo lead between ESC and Rx, having cut the red wire on that lead... that way your ESC remains untouched/unmodified and can be used in future projects.

This is a good way since you most likely have to add an extension like I do but you can also just use a pin and release the red wire from the plug. I then heat shrink back on to the cable for possible future use.

Harry