Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Hyde “Not –So- Soft” Soft Mount for the NEU 1521

Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

The Hyde “Not –So- Soft” Soft Mount for the NEU 1521

Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM
aturkington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Hyde “Not –So- Soft” Soft Mount for the NEU 1521

I wrote Merle Hyde on a whim. Over the course of the past several years, I had learned finding a decent and trustworthy mount for the NEU 1521/1.5Y/F/6.7HD a challenge. In fact, there was only once source that seemingly suited the setup well. Recently it came to my attention that that distributor no longer stocked the mount that I had relied on so heavily. I was on my own.

I understand that some people build their own mounts in these scenarios – but being of limited tools and considerably less talent, I quickly decided that I had better hit the proverbial road and see who could help.

After a quick search, I found Merle Hyde. His reputation by all accounts was well above outstanding.

We spoke several times through email – he was curious, as was I. While his investigation centered more on the way to successfully create this, mine rested on a much more base level: What exactly was a soft mount? I had heard of these but was not clear about what the true difference was. While he did his best to explain it to me, I still had a hard time imagining my setup even quieter, or more effective – after all this was just a mount, right?

Little did I know what was in store…

He indicated that the mount he had in mind would not be “as soft” as those that he had created where the motor or engine was mounted from the back. We quickly decided that this was still well worth pursuing as the vibrations from the NEU are already considerably less than any of its horsepower-comparable gas counterparts.

For those of you who don’t know, Merle is Chip Hyde’s father and it’s an unfortunate admission that I must make to say that I didn’t connect those dots for a long while. It does speak to Merle’s humility, however, that it was not discussed overtly for some time. The reason I mention it now is that his understanding, history, and prowess in the hobby runs quite deep.

In fact, he has built mounts that have benefited over 600 different engines/airframes but thus far for only 5 or 6 different electrics. Up until this point he has built mounts for some NEU's but not the 1521. Merle's long-standing objective is to extend gearbox equipment life up to 3 times. The mounts also reduce noise of these already near-silent motors.

The magic box arrived in the mail and I tore into it immediately. The 1521 Hyde Mount is a fairly soft version that attaches easily via a DA 50 bolt pattern for a removable cowl type aircraft - but still maintains some of his signature features, such as the "tail ring" and "shear axis limiter".

The rear housing is supported by a cushioned ring to maintain motor alignment. Inside the front of the mount housing there is a surrounding torque inhibiting cushioned surface which severely dampens any vibration. In addition, the motor removes easily from the housing which may stay on the aircraft.

Was I excited? You have no idea – all I wanted was a motor mount but this was something completely different.

I attached it to the front of my 87” 3DHobbyshop Extra 300.

On full spool up the motor runs quieter – this is especially noticeable in the air. Because of the materials Merle uses the motor is allowed to work out a lot of its vibes through the mount. Merle had warned me that I could find this oscillation in the spinner distracting. Although I saw a bit, to say it was minimal would probably be an overstatement – I had to really look. The motor did heat up an extra 5 degrees or so (I’m guessing because of the rubber immediately surrounding the front of the gearbox. However, I always think it’s wise to build in cooling scoops in any case (as you will see in the pictures).

So how did the airplane fly? It flew better - - and I can’t explain why other than he created something pretty magical and it was having an impact. The flights I’ve had with it are noticeably smoother, crisper and well behaved in violent maneuvers where the motor is providing power.

If you are interested in a great mount for your NEU – look him up. It’s a terrific setup and Merle? You’ll love dealing with him – it’s worth it just for his company.

[email protected]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86880.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1638927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33151.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1638928   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28195.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1638929   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54993.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1638930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf49832.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1638931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23776.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1638932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su34465.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1638933  
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Gohmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Hyde “Not –So- Soft” Soft Mount for the NEU 1521

How much? Do you take paypal? Lookslike just the thing for my Slowstick!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Hyde “Not –So- Soft” Soft Mount for the NEU 1521

1. The mounts are being sold by Merle Hyde, not the OP.
2. The mounts are for large 2-meter pattern planes, not slowsticks. That motor is capable of outputting several HP, and would shread a slowstick in a nanosecond.