Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Noisy Motor

Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 AM
rv9-a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy Motor

I have a Tacon Big Foot 60 motor that has three flights on it, probably less than an hour total time. The last flight resulted in a crash. When I got back home I hooked everything up on the bench and it seemed to be OK. No unusual noises and no run out on the motor shaft, checked with a dial indicator.

The motor now is in a new plane and at about a third throttle and sometimes wide open I get a loud screeching noise. I have done this with and without the prop and get the same results. With everything unplugged and the motor turned over by hand there isn't any dragging or scraping. Any suggestions ??

I did a Google search for noisy Big Foot 60 Motors and found a person had several of these motors and they were doing the same as mine. He wasn't very successful in getting an answer from hobbypartz.

thanks rv9-a
Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM
jzrf6c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noisy Motor

I have had the same "screeching" noise and I reset the throttle range on the ESC and it went away.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM
rv9-a

jz

I have a CC Phoenix ICE 100. The instructions refer to a setting called "throttle type" with two choices: auto calibrating(factory setting) and fixed. Is this what you are referring to?
It says each time you power up and fly you must go to full throttle for four seconds then back of to off. There is nothing else in the instructions referring to throttle range.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:14 PM
flyallday

I have several Monstor Power 60 much like the Big Foot from Hobbypartz and one of them has this issue. After my last nose over, it stopped the noise

Harry
Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 AM
whitecrest

This may be a timing issue, especially if you switched ESCs in the new plane. Programming the ESC for higher timing will often eliminate the screeching.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:06 PM
rv9-a

The noise is gone............. Resetting the timing, resetting the throttle range or whatever you want to call it did the trick.

thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM
rv9-a

The noise is back and the motor is kaput ! After a couple of uneventful flights the noise returned today. It was coming in at about half throttle. I changed out the battery for another flight. I noticed that when turning over the motor I now had a clicking noise. This had never happened before. When I got home I dissembled it. There were drag marks on one end of all the magnets but two. There were matching marks on the stator. Apparently the magnets were coming loose from the rotor and were rubbing on the stator.

I am now looking for another motor. Am considering the E-flight Power 60 as the specs are similar to the Big Foot 60 . Has anyone had any problems with the Power 60 ?
Or another motor that might do the trick.