Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Did anybody go to NEAT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:35 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did anybody go to NEAT?

NEAT was! I roped my father into making the 2-1/2 hr trek with me despite the rain on saturday, and boy am I glad. There were more than a few vendors on hand to give me more things to spend my hard-earned cash on, and exhibiting lotsa stuff I can't get at the LHS. Beyond that, the flying demonstrations were nothing short of phenominal. Watching GW's E-3DXL fly like a helicopter, while pylon racers were zipping by at 100mph and the helis at the other end of the field were whipping around in manuevers I can't even name was simply overwhelming. My only regret was that I didn't bring a lawnchair.

My personal favorite plane was Ron Daniel's v-1 buzzbomb (which sadly I only saw the remains of on the ground, apparently having crashed prior to my arrival). Other highlights included the mikado helis, the bomb dropping b-17 and b-36 (I didn't catch the builder's name), and the 1/5 scale cessna 182. It was fun putting faces to some of the names I see here and on e-zone, and everyone was super-nice and willing to deal with us gawking spectators.

If you like e-planes, MAKE THE TRIP NEXT YEAR!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Did anybody go to NEAT?

To me, it was a huge letdown. None of the vendors had anything I was looking for. Everything was LiPoly LiPoly LiPoly. It just seemed that LiPoly cells dominated at the vendor tents. All kinds of power, but nothing to use that power on. Really, no new products, and not very many show specials to speak of.

I was looking forward to seeing some of the latest planes from Hobby Lobby, but their display was pathetic.. A handful of last year's planes, some motors, a few speed controls, and of course, a big pile of Kokam LiPolys. Last year they had a huge tent, and practically anything you could've wanted.

There was practically NOTHING from GWS being sold. I had to search through the entire vendor row twice, and then start pawing through bins to find two GWS Pico servos for my T3D Cap. For all the planes that GWS has, and as popular as they are, you would think someone would've been there with a pile of 'em. Slow Sticks and Tiger Moths would've sold like hotcakes, let alone the warbirds. Except for the lone GWS Corsair that was flying when I arrived, I saw no other GWS warbirds.

Add to that the fact that it started raining in the early afternoon, and that my sister-in-law was getting pi**y because she was cold wet and bored (she WANTED to go, nobody made her [:@]), it was not a fun NEAT fair. We left at 2:00 to save my brother's marriage. I'm really going to have to think long and hard about going next year.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:25 AM
BuzzBomber

Matt:
Well, I have to agree with you about the vendors in that there weren't really any new products and Li-poly was being shoved down your throat(the part that disheartened me was that my inquiries about the new thunderpower cells were apparently phrased in swahili--when I asked about discharge characteristics, I was told "I don't know what you mean"). Mainly, I was impressed because my LHS is really pretty pitiful in the e-flight department, so this was the first time I got to see many of the products in the flesh. Truthfully, all I came home with was a new jeti esc and mj gearbox for the HL mini-telemaster I'm starting to build.

Perhaps part of the problem was just bad timing. I got stuck in some bad weather on 17 on the way up, so we didn't arrive until 2:00. Things got better as the day went on. Later in the afternoon, the horizon guys had the GWS p-51, me-109, corsair, and a-10 out. Sorry to hear of your dissappointment, but on the positive side, perhaps the vendors and organizers are listening, and will improve these areas for next year. Still, it was a world away from the virtually non-existent e-flight scene in my hometown.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:40 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just started in the Hobby in March. I saw tons of stuff to buy. I spent a few bucks.

I loved the noon flight demonsttrations. They were really great.

If anyone tells you a helo can't do something, tell them they are wron because I saw it done on Saturday.

I was watching an aerobatic demonstration of a plane when I realized the person doing the demo was 10 years old. Fantastic.

They flew a tiny dual engine model of a P38 lighting. It must have been only a couple of ounces. even in moderate wind it flew great.\

I was amazed by the power of some of the planes. They were flying 15+ pound planes that were doing full aerobatics and 12+ pound planes that were fully 3D capable. There is very little you can't do with electrics if you have the money.

I saw smaller, perhsps 1.5-2.5 3D planes flying all over the place including some blue foam SPADs. I loved that and actually bought one. Yes I could just make one from the foam but I am clueless so I will use this as a form and will learn. Now I need to understand more about the GWS flight systems they recommended.

Hearing the lecture by the US national team about how they entered the first electric in pattern flying in Polond was facinating. It took a lot of work to get the plane down to weight. Apparently it gave up nothing to the fuel planes in the competition.

There were lots of planes flying all day long. Some fast, some slow, some beautiful and some really strange. I came home with a stiff neck and a big smile. I loved it. Well worth the 3 hour drive
Old 09-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great time since the moment I arrived on Thursday until I left on Sunday. The weekend went so fast that it was a blurr.

All my planes flew great and the only crash was when my pilot friend tried to fly my ProJeti like a pattern plane and tip stalled it. I'll be repairing it this winter.

My electrified Hangar 9 AT-6 Texan and Boehemia Models Monocoupe were my biggest hits. The latter is already published in the RCU magazine and the AT-6 will be published soon.

I think my electrified .60-size Graupner Extra 300S was the only plane in its class of high performance aerobats. There were several impressive pattern ships (Jason Shulman's being the most impressive) and a ton of 3D planes.

I'll post more after I catch up a bit here at work.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:10 PM
BuzzBomber

A-ha, so that's your monocoupe! I liked that one.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:03 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Since I live about 30 mintes away I decided to venture out sat . am and I was not disapointed...our flying field is relatively close and I always wondered why would anyone come to downsville in the middle of nowhere but I have to say I had a ball!!!I have never seen what you can do with electric but I gotta tell ya having seen the planes I want to get into it.I do my gas(sorry) but I learned alot and found everyone helpful and was impressed with the skills demonstrated..

I learned alot about poly batteries and given my abilites I suspect I would burn the house down ..while they are amazing stuff if your reckless and don't understand the dangers they present you are asking for trouble.In fact that morning a guy over heated his li-poly and blew it out the back of his wagon.the flames on those babies can extend as muchas 3 feet that is scary..

I enjoyed the day doso much I have been researching electrics trying to decide what would be a good first plane ..and kudos to the heli demo..the pilot was awesome ..I never saw anyone do what he did with a helicopter..

summing it up I will definitely be there next year and I enjoyed the fellowship and found some of my flying buddies from around the state there ..all in all a hell of good time ..
Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

I thought the show was a great time, and I came from California for it. The seminars were terrific, and some real works of art were on display. The indoor fly on Saturday night was worth the trip back by itself. There were a BUNCH of planes under an ounce flown there, some at 1/4 ounce and even less - like under 4 grams! It was interesting to see the giant scale planes get a ho-hum response from the crowd, but when Matt Keenon flew his 14" Mustang and 10 1/2" P-38, the crowd went wild...

It was a who's-who gathering of micro flight personalities, and I was honored to be in their presence... Even my wife enjoyed seeing what I go on and on about... The rain was a drag, but the venue could not have been prettier or the folks there nicer...
Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM
aeajr

Mike Taylor,

I echo your comments. I wanted to stay for he indoor fly, but the guys that I rode with were not willing to stay. Glad to hear it was so good. I will make a point of planning it in next year!
Old 09-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Greg Covey

I met so many people at NEAT that it is the ones I didn't meet that I can recall.

I didn't see you Mike and I didn't run into Bernard Cawley (BEC). I don't even know if Steve Neu attended this year because I missed all the great sessions put on by the Bergen County Silent Flyers.

I also had to pass up the Indoor event because of pre-set commitments.

There was so much to do, no wonder it was a burr! I did have a great time too!

I was able to enter the Terry Target Tow along with the host club SEFLI members. It was much tougher than it looked! Tom Hunt's ShowFlyer had far more power and manuverability than did our Terrys. There must have been 8 or 9 planes in the air!

Here was my list of planes that I brought this year:
[ul][*] Hangar 9 AT-6 Texan (9 lbs)[*] Bohemia Models Monocoupe (10 lbs)[*] Graupner Extra 300S (7.25 lbs)[*] Wipa Firecat (2.2 lbs)[*] Kyosho Flash (3 lbs)[*] Alpha Models P-51[*] Graupner Terry
[/ul]
Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 PM
aeajr

The Terries chacing the show flyer with the baloons was fantastic. All the way home in the car we talked about how we could do something like that at our club. A number of us have Aerobirds, which are pushers, so we can't cut balloons or ribbon with them, or at least we don't think we can.

Some terries may get sold as a result of that little fun demo.

We all loved it!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Okay, I'll admit that I did get a hoot out of watching those little planes chasing the balloons... But, you guys should try some real combat with Terrys! Tie streamers to the tails, and chase each other around
Old 09-18-2003, 07:54 AM
gwright

hmm,.. may have to get a terry for next year,... add ailerons, install carbon spar, B20 hacker with 3S lipoly pack,... hmmmmmmmm

As to the original question,.. i arrived thursday afternoon after driving 1250 miles in two days. Stayed untill sunday afternoon,.. had a good time,.. but was more than a bit upset at some things. The primary thing was the denial of transmitter cases in the impound. I go to a lot of large events, have been to many much larger than NEAT, and I've never had to subject a $1000+ transmitter to being in the impound without a case. Very bad rule, and just might be the thing that keeps me from going back.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Greg Covey

Hi Gary,

I knew that rule was coming because they complained about my case last year. Perhaps there is a simple cloth or plastic cover that you could use. We would hate to have you not attend.

With your Terry modification ideas...perhaps you could take out Tom's ShowFlyer!

By the way, the only bad "sportmanship" I saw in the entire show this year was the jerk that collided with your Funtana on Thursday. In a mid-air collision, the rule is equal responsibility but this guy clearly wouldn't accept that. I came close to decking him myself. Fortunitly, he was the only poor sport that I encountered.

Regards.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:32 AM
aeajr

Here are some photos I took at NEAT

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...1405f6&notag=1
Old 09-18-2003, 10:10 AM
gwright

a cloth or plastic cover doesn't really resolve the issue Greg. The 9Z (and many others) have switches and knobs everywhere, which can be broken easily if mis-handled, like the several times they picked up my transmitter, along with 3 or 4 others, to "deliver" to the front of the impound to the pilots. Holding them all in one hand, they bang against each other constantly, not a good site when you see you're watching your radio being mistreated. It's just basically a stupid rule, and that's the ONLY event where they take that stance. I've been to much larger heli events, and every single tx was in a case. Impound ran very smoothly.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Greg Covey

Gary,

Another idea is to use a placeholder transmitter. Use a cheapo transmitter for the impound frequency control and then transfer the pin to your good Futaba on the way to the pits.

I had considered this routine when my 2 Futaba Super-8s were only 16 models each. The previous year I brought them both in a single case but heard the complaining when I checked them out.

This year, I brought one Super-8 with a 72 model memory and kept my spare in the pits as a back-up in case of failure.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

aeajr,

I see you got a picture of Matt Keenon and his P-38. That thing was amazing, wasn't it?

Greg,

Sorry I never ran into you. I was looking forwar to meeting you there.

To those that missed it - you really missed out!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:05 AM
BillM

I can understand Mr. Wrights fears concerning the handling of his transmitter. I believe this is something that should be brought to light on the NEAT web site. I do believe there is a place for comments. I'm sure this can be resolved. To lose Mr. Wright's participation in this event would be criminal to say the least.

BM
Old 09-20-2003, 03:20 PM
flicka5

No one took an image of the first airplane to fly, mine? Flew it four times at the NEAT meet!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23261.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	62522  
Old 10-01-2003, 12:05 AM
stevensaero

Yet another great show. Had a blast putting faces to names. My only regret was being pressed for time. We drove the 1800 miles in one sitting seeing the sun rise and set twice whilst not taking a break from behind the wheel is an odd experience indeed. We arrived late on the scene Friday and I had a driving hangover that lasted through Sunday... next year I have got to schedule some R&R one either end of the trip.

Thanks to all those who made NEAT a sucess... even with the rain showers there was a huge turnout... as far as transmitters were concerned... who had time to fly? I pretty much had my head down the entire show but did manage to fly a couple of planes off I-70 when we stopped for gas at Effingham

-Bill
Old 10-01-2003, 07:35 AM
gwright

Wow,.. 1800 miles. and I thought my 1250 mile drive each way was a long one
I can definately empathize with you bill. Due to a wiring problem with the trailer I was towing, we didn't have lights nor the electronic brake control for the trailer when we left sunday. We hunted for u-hauls to find someone to repair it, and with multiple stops, we only got a couple hundred miles sunday afternoon. Stopped before dark since we didn't have lights working on the trailer. Up early monday morning, at uhaul at 7am when they opened (large u-haul 2 miles off the exit we stopped at in carlile penn.) , fixed and away at 8am,.. then I drove just over 1000 miles myself in one sitting, getting home just after midnight monday. I've done many long trips driving by myself during my heli days, but I generally set my limit at 700 miles per day alone, or 1000 with someone to share the driving. 1000 by yourself in one sitting is quite an experience,.. you keep pushing further, and decide to stop for the night, then you think,..well,.. I can go another 50 miles,.. and that happens again,..till finally it doesn't make sense to stop when you're only 100 miles from home.

On another subject, some conversations with NEAT organizers has revealed that the impound workers really liked not having transmitter cases, and I'm the only one that's complained so that will be the rule from now on. Unless something happens to change my mind,.. I won't be making that trip again to fly anything. I've heard from many that didn't like this rule, but apparently I'm the only one that's voiced any complaint. I guess it's more important to them to have the workers happy than the pilots that travel long distances.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Greg Covey

I don't know how you guys do it. For me, a 4 hour drive is long enough.

Here is a picture of our buddy, Ed Lyerly, caught in the middle of the MaxCim "choir".

From left to right is Lynn Bowerman, myself, Ed, Paul Martin, and MaxCim owner, Tom Cimato.

We have rather a fun history of rivalry with Ed discussing the pros and cons of MaxCim motors vs. Hacker Motors.

Everyone at the Hacker booth was very pleasant and Hacker Brushless USA president, Sean Plummer, came over to talk about the recent F3A World Championship event where they entered an electric pattern ship with pilot Jason Shulman.

The NEAT Fair is always a great time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80456.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	65473  
Old 10-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

I had a great time. Only a 4 hour ride and the campground and flying facility was excellent. Since I am fairly new to electrics, it was great to see this stuff fly and learn more about the correct motor/battery application for various models. I disagree with some of you. There were plenty of vendors and stuff to spend your money on. I went home in a barrel! And what's wrong with LiPoly batteries? You had better get used to them because I feel that the Nicads and NiMH are dinasaurs.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
DuceNova

Evil (my wife), Sammy (our 20 month old grandson) and I went Friday. MAN was it windy. I thought for sure that flying would be canceled but to our amazement, there were aircraft of all types flying. We got there about noon (late start) and left about 16:00 (Sammy was getting itchy and Evil can't walk that much) Next year we're getting an earlier start and bringing lawn chairs, food, and a video camera.

I was impressed by the Gee Bee that was converted from nitro to electric. The owner noted to the announcer that the plane was even faster with electric.

Sammy was in awe of all the aircraft both in the air and on the ground.

Food was stone cold. Nothing like a cold hotdog and tent stake french fries to get your stomach churning!

I was underimpressed with the vendors except for the one with Velcro and the one with fasteners. Both were VERY helpful and the prices (I thought) were reasonable. The one reason that I went was to find a LiPo battery charger. Didn't find anything worth buying there--prices were too high or chargers were POS models (when we got home, I went on Ebay and got a MRC 989 for $140 shipped to me which I thought was a decent price).

All in all a good time. People were very friendly and gave good advice. I stopped at the RC Magazine tent and the person there gave me good information on batteries and what to look for in a charger.

I was born in Walton but lived my first 7 years in Downsville. It is beautiful country and very peacful there. The Peaceful Valley Campsite looks like a nice place to stay and the person that greeted us was quite a character. Evil saw in female Boxer and commented on how she needed to get another Boxer. The owner made the HUGE mistake of saying to Evil that she could buy her for $50. Evil had her pocket book out quicker than a gunfighter draws his gun. He said he was kidding just in time or she would have given him the $50!