Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Charging the new NiMH batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Charging the new NiMH batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging the new NiMH batteries

My Hobbico Accu-cycle elite will not detect peak when charging the newer NiMh packs. The packs came with literature stating the packs had been reformulated for environmental concerns. It warned of false peaks. But my charger senses no peak.

Whats the fix ?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Charging the new NiMH batteries

To get the most performance out of any NiMh or NiCad battery always do a forming charge on new cells (or cells that have been unused for some time). A forming charge is defined as charging for 15 to 16 hours at 0.1C. No need to discharge before doing this forming charge.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NiMH batteries were designed to be environmentally safe and they were to replace NiCd batteries which contain Cadmium which is a heavy metal and dangerous to the environment. Another nice advantage of NiMH batteries are that they don't develope a memory like NiCads. The down side is that NiMH batteries are not as tough as NiCd.

To Format the NiMHs charge at 1/10 the rated MAH capacity. OR is the battery pack is a 1800 MAH charge it at 180 MA.

NiMH batteries will eventually have a capacity of 140% of their rated capacity after 4 or 5 cycles.

Frank
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the above means 1800 charge 180 initially.

Anyway, some chargers won't peak detect if charging at too low an mah, so if your packs are 1000 or 2000 charge at a minimum of 180-200, not at 50 or 100.